The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

dg2009
I can't find this forum :frown: I can't see anything to do with 'firstclass' on my student home.

On StudentHome you should have a link to "Your OU Mailbox and Discussion Forums" on the left menu. Click on that and, from there, Open University > OU Students Association > OUSA Signpost. That's where all the OUSA forums are listed, including the 120 pointers one.

HTH :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Lunarsea
I'm intending to do 120 points next year. There is a "120 pointers" OUSA forum which is full of tips for those studying full time with the OU. If you can get on there.

Awesome, thanks. People are saying AA100 is not very study intensive compared to the level 2s, so maybe I will register for one in February :yep: Thinking A210, but having said that I might do a different level 2 and do A230 in Oct... Buttt, it'll be a new course - heard new course are sometimes problematic? Anyone have any expensive of taking a course the first time it has run? :woo:
dg2009
I can't find this forum :frown: I can't see anything to do with 'firstclass' on my student home.

What lupinpooter said. :smile:

On an unrelated note, does anyone else look through the list of science short courses and think "I would happily do all of these if I had the time and money"?

Just me? :emo:
Yes, just you! I'm thinking of going for a totally different course, if possible. I think I'll go for A230 instead... but I still don't know, hah. I still feel a bit overwhelmed by StudentHome and worrying how I'm going to handle this.
Reply 1584
Lunarsea

On an unrelated note, does anyone else look through the list of science short courses and think "I would happily do all of these if I had the time and money"?

I want to do a lot of the social sciences courses! I'm fairly devastated I can't fit DB234 in somehow.
Juno, out of interest, what courses have you completed already? :smile:
Reply 1586
inksplodge
Juno, out of interest, what courses have you completed already? :smile:

Y159, B120, DB123, MST121. Dropped BU130 coz it sucks majorly, and I decided to change to social sciences anyway. Now doing DD202 and DD131, and starting DD201 in Oct.
Juno
Y159, B120, DB123, MST121. Dropped BU130 coz it sucks majorly, and I decided to change to social sciences anyway. Now doing DD202 and DD131, and starting DD201 in Oct.

Nice :yep:
Reply 1588
I wanted to do a degree in economics, but then I looked at what the OU offered and as they only have Economics and Maths I thought I wouldn't cope with the maths. So I decided Business Studies as kind of a second best, possibly with the "and Economics" option. I started with Y159 as I wasn't confident about restarting study, and it's the only vaguely relevant Openings course - but now I work in management so it's nice to have got that.

Then this year I took BU130, and hated it. It's like marmite. It's all online which isn't great with my disability, and the information is all hidden anyway with a bit here and a bit there. It's supposed to be self directed learning, but I don't think there was enough guidence for someone completely new to the idea. So I really wanted to drop it, and started researching what else I could do where it wasn't compulsory - I liked the idea of the new Finance degree or the Leadership and Management, but both required it.

And then I found the degree in Social Sciences with Economics :woohoo: I don't know why I didn't see it earlier. But I realised I needed DD131 for that, which is an introductory course, and I've come to it late in my OU life. I can see that in general you'd get more out of it if you did it earlier.

I'm still a bit unsure what to do for the other 120 points of my degree. I originally thought politics, but I hate it and have very little starting knowledge. Seriously, ask me about left wing and right wing and I will just tell you about Simon's new tail feather. I've currently decided on DD201 (sociology) but I might change that for level 3 depending on how I like it and if I can.
It sounds like you've been on a long journey already, then :biggrin: It's nice to find out what you like and don't like, though. This is why the OU really appeals to me; you can change your mind as many times as you want. At a brick uni you would have to restart completely, wouldn't you? :s-smilie:

I keep toying with the idea of just doing Humanities, 'cos it's much broader. But I still like English and think I'd rather do that, but whether I'd rather do English lit or lit/lang is another question. I guess like you that maybe I'll change my mind further down the line and decide I'm doing something completely different :woo: I haven't even started yet. I'm hoping my experience in a primary school will help me decide what I want to do :smile: I'd really like to do EA300 at some point :smile:

How do you find the disability support at the OU? I am worried about some of my material because it is audio, and I sometimes have great difficulty hearing (prone to infections) so that worries me a lot. I think one of the set DVDs has subtitles so that's ok. :woo:

p.s. Simon is really cute! :love:
Juno
starting DD201 in Oct.

You are in for a TREAT

My favourite course :p:
Reply 1591
I'd quite like to do U211 (exploring the english language) and I could as part of my degree, but that would leave my level 3 options limited. So many require you to have done certain level 2 courses, and I don't really want to continue with E301.

I don't think I really changed my mind; I just think the OU website is so badly laid out I didn't realise the options. I started in 2008 but was really looking into it in 2007 and it has got so much better since then, but is still awful.

With the disability support you have to ask for it, but if you do it's there. They can lend you some items whilst you're waiting for DSA, or if you decide not to apply/aren't eligible. My DSA application was quick, and once they phoned me they arranged the assessment for the next day! They went through everything, even things I initially thought wouldn't apply to me, and I'm really pleased with what I've got. They didn't actually tell me I'd be getting a new computer - I thought just software and peripherals - and I was happily surprised when I got the quotes through.
I haven't had an exam yet, and am a bit worried about exam support. It was discussed a bit in my DSA report but they only make recommendations and the exam people sort it later. They sent me a form to fill in, and I have but haven't heard anything yet. I can see my exam details on StudentHome but it doesn't say anything about special arrangements and I don't know if this is normal or not.
My assessment is on Thursday, I'm a bit worried about it and what they'll ask me and stuff. :s-smilie: At school I had support but it was just given to me and I never really had to think about it. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of disability do you have? :smile: Maybe you could ask the people who provide the support about the exams worry? :woo:
Lunarsea

Me too :woo:

As well as the ones in my sig I am planning to do another four to get the Certificate in Contemporary Science. At the moment I'm thinking of the archaeology, astronomy, weather and earthquake ones :yep:
Reply 1594
I have osteoarthritis in my wrist and lower back. My wrist is the worst - when it flares up I can't move it or grip things and causes me a lot of pain.

With my assessment, they did suggest stuff and everything they need to discuss is on a form and they must go through all sections. So you'll still get asked about whether you need accessibility options eg wheelchair ramp when you probably don't. But they have to make sure they cover everything. It's also based on needs rather than condition. So there's no such thing as "well, a typical person with X would need Y" unless they're trying to get you to reconsider turning something down.
That sounds painful :frown: But thank you :smile: That sounds a lot more straightforward than I thought it'd be! On my letter it goes on about having confirmation from your LA about the assessment, which worried me. :s-smilie:
Reply 1596
Yeah, it is painful :sad:

They have to make the letter sound confusing. It's their job! But when you get your assessment they'll explain it. Usually they go away and wrote a report which they send to you. You check over it, and if anything is wrong or you want to add anything they can change it. That then goes off to be approved but mostly you get all recommended equipment, and they get quotes and stuff and get back to you. You can make changes to that, like if they've recommended a desktop computer but you want a laptop, but if so you'll have to pay the difference if it's more expensive.

Once it's all been decided they send the order to a supplier, who arranges a day to come and sort it! They do everything, like setting up the computer or if you've got a table they'll put it in the correct room etc. They tell you how long it takes as someone needs to be there. The man who did mine said I was the only installation that needed the whole 2 hours as he had a problem with the software :proud:
Oh good :smile: I feel much better. Can I mention my concerns about the course? eg. the face-to-face tutorials and telephone communication? I can see myself getting a bit worried about that nearer the time :frown: Aww! :tongue: I bet he was disappointed not to get away early. :tongue:
Reply 1598
They will probably ask you at the start/end if you have any concerns. If you have any specific questions you could write them down to be sure you remember them. You can also ask for specific things you think will be helpful, but bear in mind your assessor knows what's available so may have better ideas, or may decide you're unlikely to get it and try to get you to compromise.
Cool :smile: I might do that then! Have work 9 - 6am tonight :mad: the assessor is coming at 10!

Quick Reply

Latest