The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Juno
It's a book that you sometimes get as part of the course. They send it with the stuff; you don't need to buy it. It seems to be the introductory modules that have it as my DD131 has one as does their AA100 (I think).

oh i see, thanks Juno... i'm doing B291 so i doubt i'll get one then as its a level 2 course!

u seem to know wot ur talkin about, this is my first course with the OU, in fact i havent studied in about 9yrs... have u got any tips?!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 1781
SunburnedCactus
Depends on the degree but usually all Level 2 and 3 ones, except any 10 pointers which you just need to pass.

Seems possible, but what about people who do more than one level 1 courses? I'll only do one level 1 :|
LW5x01
Seems possible, but what about people who do more than one level 1 courses? I'll only do one level 1 :|

Really? I had 3 courses required at level 1, but none of their marks count towards my final classification. I can't remember where it says whether a course counts towards the degree but it may be in the degree description somewhere, something to check.
I only have one course required at level 1 as well. All the others are level 2/3.
SunburnedCactus
Depends on the degree but usually all Level 2 and 3 ones, except any 10 pointers which you just need to pass.

Can 10 pointers count towards the classification if they are graded?
raspberryswirl
Can 10 pointers count towards the classification if they are graded?

Umm possibly. The one I did (M253) was pass/fail but if it is graded (and a specified course for the degree) then it could well count.
SunburnedCactus
Umm possibly. The one I did (M253) was pass/fail but if it is graded (and a specified course for the degree) then it could well count.

Hmms! I hope so! Its all v confusing and when I emailed the OU people they weren't helpful :frown:
Reply 1787
Any news on the computer grant?
Debonair
Any news on the computer grant?

You won't hear anything until after the course starts apparently.
What is the electronic notepad? :s-smilie:
Reply 1790
LW5x01

Have you seen this? There's an email at the bottom for award specific questions - did you email them or the general one?
Reply 1791
stok3sy
oh i see, thanks Juno... i'm doing B291 so i doubt i'll get one then as its a level 2 course!

u seem to know wot ur talkin about, this is my first course with the OU, in fact i havent studied in about 9yrs... have u got any tips?!

I just found out your tutor will be paid between £3000 and £4000 for the whole course.

You can see a taster of your course materials here - the sample course calendar says you have 7 modules, and as the course specification says you have 7 printed texts it would be reasonable to assume you get one for each. So no, I think from that you won't get a course companion.

Um, tips. Install the software onto your computer straight away, otherwise you will get to just before the TMA is due to find you have lost the CD. Make sure you check your course website regularly for updates - you probably have a forum where your tutor might post helpful stuff, and they might post corrections to the TMA or textbook there.
Reply 1792
inksplodge
I only have one course required at level 1 as well. All the others are level 2/3.

Same here
working out honours looks confusing. :confused: i think i'm just going to do my best and hope it works out... lol. i don't understand, why is having only one level 1 a bad thing?
Reply 1794
inksplodge
working out honours looks confusing. :confused: i think i'm just going to do my best and hope it works out... lol. i don't understand, why is having only one level 1 a bad thing?

Who said it's a bad thing? :O

I don't know if it is a bad thing, lol.
LW5x01
Who said it's a bad thing? :O

I don't know if it is a bad thing, lol.

The way you said it was like it was a bad thing!

Wow, I didn't realise how many qualifications there are at the OU. I just got to a list somehow on my tools page, and it was like Humanities > with literature/philosophy and literature/media studies and English language etc... :tongue: quite a lot, then.
inksplodge

There's an online qualifications planner with a classification prediction gizmo: you can get to it via StudentHome > Qualifications :smile:
I don't think it'll be any use to me yet as I am only on my first course? :woo: still getting used to this! Just found the online personal blog - does anyone use it?
Reply 1798
inksplodge

It's not necessarily bad. But Level 1 is considered to be easier, so your degree will be harder than it has to be.
inksplodge
I don't think it'll be any use to me yet as I am only on my first course?

Go to StudentHome > Qualifications and on the right hand side you'll see a link to the Qualification Planner. You can set up and save plans for entire degrees in there at any time (doesn't matter if you're on your first course) and play around with the classification calculator. HTH :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest