The Student Room Group
anyone? I was thinking a titration and maybe something else like heating something or some test tube reactions or something.
bump
Reply 3
I don't reckon it can be a titration AND something else.. Cos the titrations take long enough as it is! But i do reckon it'll be some sort of titration... It always is!
Reply 4
the AS wasn't...
The main thing we have practiced this year is titrations so I hope it is one of these.
Reply 6
El Stevo
the AS wasn't...

Yeh but the A2 planning is a titration.. Kind of gives it away.. I still reckon it is and that's one of the only kinda of expts we've done this year so all i'm gonna practice is the calculations and hope all goes well on the day! :redface:
Another tip I'd give is to practice or look at mark schemes from previous evaluations. They all seem to be fairly similar and it is 14 marks out of 60 (44 on the day). They always seem to get you to say why the method you did was good/bad and often show another experiment that you have to criticise. not repeated/not accurate enough equipment etc.
Reply 8
We've been told to expect a back-titration, similar to the planning exercise. Also, quite possibly an iodine titration and using starch as the indicator. To be honest though, I'm a little worried about how much other chemistry I'll need to bring in - if they do some other little experiments as well, will colour changes etc be required. If anyone knows how to get hold of some past paper mark schemes for the prac I'd be grateful.
in class in the last month or so, weve done titrations wit iodine using starch as the indicator. and weve also had other little test tube tests to do- prob from the transition metals bit, involving colour changes. we havent done anything other than titrations for a long time.... we would have done if it wasnt a titration... im sure of it.
hmm.....back titration eh. We did past paper invoving starch indicator and sodium thiosulphate....but i dunno, it could be the reaction involving the iron ions, but this is unlikely as it was in the plan
:eek:
Reply 11
It is more then likely to be a titration as the plan gives a very good idea of wot to expect! My class has been doin test tube reactions to show the action of silver nitrate (AgNO3) and wot colour precipitate it produces when added to iodide, bromide and chloride ions, this cud come up also. I think sodium thiosulphate with iodide titration is going to be the one!!
Reply 12
Does anyone have any ideas where to get past ocr chem prac papers? im stressin quite a bit about it so wud just like to look at the types of questions they might ask us!! thanks!! :smile:
Reply 13
could someone tell me the theory behind the thiosulphate and iodide titration because i have a strange feelin this maybe the one, how does it work and why is it different to any other titration?

thanks a lot x
what questions could they set on this, will they do halide ion displacement reactions
i dont know what a halide ion displacement reaction is :s-smilie:
cl2 + 2br- = 2cl-2 + br2 orange brown liquid is formed
Reply 17
apart frm the titrations we r supposed to be getting litle test tube reactions....possible halide stufff...theres heaps of stuff tht cud be

anyone been given hints?

Latest