Where are you thinking of applying?

Me:
Imperial
King's
UCL
Cambridge
Bart's (maybe)
Need to cut down to 4......:eek3:

3 BMAT unis is a big risk, just to tell you. If you screw it up there's no turning back.
You better start praying that you get a good UKCAT/BMAT score :p:
UCL
Imperial
Leicester
Manchester
Sheffield

yeah i need to cut it down as well, plus im still considering others. has anyone got any advice on what uni is (relatively) the safest with 6A*s? (obv not bham etc.)
Barts
Kings
Leicester
...Somebody help me on 4th!
Reply 384
felt_monkey
3 BMAT unis is a big risk, just to tell you. If you screw it up there's no turning back.

Only going to pick 2 bmat unis. Any ideas on good back up unis?
(9A* 1A 1B)
grey's
Only going to pick 2 bmat unis. Any ideas on good back up unis?
(9A* 1A 1B)

There's no such thing as a back up - they're all equally difficult to get into. However, Birmingham virtually guarantee an interview to someone with 8A*+, which might be worth considering. And remember you've still got the UKCAT to do - if you get a sub-par score Kings is out of the question.
Master.K
Barts
Kings
Leicester
...Somebody help me on 4th!

Again, you still need to take your AS levels/UKCAT into consideration. What I did was pick 8 I loved the look of, then I slowly narrowed the list down once I'd done my PS/got my AS results/UKCAT. You can't pick 4 this early on and stick to it.
felt_monkey
Again, you still need to take your AS levels/UKCAT into consideration. What I did was pick 8 I loved the look of, then I slowly narrowed the list down once I'd done my PS/got my AS results/UKCAT. You can't pick 4 this early on and stick to it.

Obviously...If I get a really high UKCAT i'm going to apply to barts but if not then I won't.

My options are really restricted due to my gcse's.
Master.K
Obviously...If I get a really high UKCAT i'm going to apply to barts but if not then I won't.

My options are really restricted due to my gcse's.

You asked for help, I advised. No need to be snappy.

Also BSMS (if you have good AS levels), Soton, Keele, UEA, SGUL, PMS don't place heavy weighting on GCSEs. So you're not unbelievably restricted.
felt_monkey
You asked for help, I advised. No need to be snappy.

Also BSMS (if you have good AS levels), Soton, Keele, UEA, SGUL, PMS don't place heavy weighting on GCSEs. So you're not unbelievably restricted.

:lol:

Noooo, I wasn't trying to be snappy.:o:
Sorry hehe.

For UEA don't you need like A's in english language/maths?

Definitely Birmingham,maybe Liverpool, but I'm really not sure. I'm dreading having to write the choices down on the UCAS, I know I'll change my mind!
Perhaps St Andrews, Nottingham?
I want to go somewhere that's quite traditional, I'm not really a fan of PBL. I don't think I could afford to live in London, and I don't want to go too far from home (I live in the North West)
Any suggestions from anyone?
Master.K

Sorry hehe.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements
Yeah, As in English, maths and science :smile:
Going_To_California

But I see people with grades lower yet still get an interview, how does that work out?:confused:
Master.K
But I see people with grades lower yet still get an interview, how does that work out?:confused:

That's strange :s-smilie: Maybe they have extenuating circumstances though?
I looked on the website, and that says AAA in English, maths and science too.
Master.K

Sorry hehe.

They say 'we normally look for...' I'm not 100% sure if it's just desired or set in stone - you might want to check. But you're right, I know a few people who have very average GCSEs yet have an interview. It's all down to your PS. It's ranked, scored, and they take the top X% (normally between 33-50) and interview them, the rest get rejected without interview (not a pleasant experience :shifty:). Another one that really loves the PS is Soton, with offers being made almost completely on the PS (NB - I think they're planning on interviewing for cycles 2011 onwards). I'm proof they don't mind weak GCSEs - I only got 1 A* but I have an offer. So providing you choose your unis wisely, you have as good a chance as anyone else. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise :yep:
felt_monkey
They say 'we normally look for...' I'm not 100% sure if it's just desired or set in stone - you might want to check. But you're right, I know a few people who have very average GCSEs yet have an interview. It's all down to your PS. It's ranked, scored, and they take the top X% (normally between 33-50) and interview them, the rest get rejected without interview (not a pleasant experience :shifty:). Another one that really loves the PS is Soton, with offers being made almost completely on the PS (NB - I think they're planning on interviewing for cycles 2011 onwards). I'm proof they don't mind weak GCSEs - I only got 1 A* but I have an offer. So providing you choose your unis wisely, you have as good a chance as anyone else. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise :yep:

Wow cool:cool:

Well done :awesome:

I'm on the boundary between: BSMS, Soton and Keele.
Master.K
Wow cool:cool:

Well done :awesome:

I'm on the boundary between: BSMS, Soton and Keele.

BSMS rank you on your academics btw, but overlook your GCSEs if you declare good AS levels. Soton and BSMS' courses are basically exactly the same. It's all down to you :smile:. But deffo book some open days (I think Soton and BSMS are in July).
Reply 397
:rolleyes: Cant wait for all the pressure to start kicking in with perfecting personal statments, sitting ukcat, sucking up to my tutor for a good reference and trying to get a 1st in bio.....fun stuff!! :shifty:
Wait, but that's still practically half a year away...

Don't tell me you're thinking of that now. Frankly I cba at the moment worrying about all of this, cause for the next ten or so years it's just going to get worse :rofl:

EDIT: you guys are all crazy... thinking of open days and uni's... crazy I tell ya... :eek:
Reply 399
No not thinking about that all now.....but you cant really fight the inevitable......its best to prepare....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending