The Student Room Group

2011 Entry- Hopeful Medic Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Narik
Well done on the results + offer. :smile:

Reply 581
Panorama
I took it around 25 September but if I have to do it again then I would definitely do it earlier as I couldn't really look at the BMAT until after I had done it and then I had schoolwork to deal with. (And I was still trying to perfect my ps)

I may have done better at the BMAT (particularly section 3) if I had practised more.

Yeah that seems very late. I meant after my exams as in July/August time but thanks for the tip. I need to sort out my timescale for thigns like this. Might do a bit on BMAT and draft a PS during the summer while I'm at it.

Also does taking 4 A Levels really have no benefit? Because I do Bio, Chem, Physics and Maths and I'm planning to take all 4 onto A2. I'm not particularly keen to drop Maths as I am pretty good at it and Physics is my favourite subject. Is it a disadvantage to be taking 4 A Levels on? I thought I'd be able to cope but after hearing how many people are dropping subjects has made me doubt my decision.
Scrubby
Yeah that seems very late. I meant after my exams as in July/August time but thanks for the tip. I need to sort out my timescale for thigns like this. Might do a bit on BMAT and draft a PS during the summer while I'm at it.

Also does taking 4 A Levels really have no benefit? Because I do Bio, Chem, Physics and Maths and I'm planning to take all 4 onto A2. I'm not particularly keen to drop Maths as I am pretty good at it and Physics is my favourite subject. Is it a disadvantage to be taking 4 A Levels on? I thought I'd be able to cope but after hearing how many people are dropping subjects has made me doubt my decision.

Yeah, I also had a similar question... I'm taking 5 at AS and I want to do drop 2 but will this put me at a disadvantage?
Scrubby

Exact same position as you, think I'm going to get rid of the maths though, I do enjoy it but I think I can do better in physics and I don't think an extra A-level in a necessity..so damn difficult to decide.
englishman129
Yeah, I also had a similar question... I'm taking 5 at AS and I want to do drop 2 but will this put me at a disadvantage?

you will be at no disadvantage whatsoever. Taking 4 A levels will give you no advantage and may disadvantage you if the workload results in you getting AAB or below, so unless if you really want to study your last AS to A2 because you are genuinely interested, not because of medicine, then go for it but it'll be more risky.
Reply 585
Wow, that was quick. Personally I think I'm capable of the 4 A Levels but the only thing I'm worried about is possibly falling behind others and also, my careers advisor told me to drop a subject. Though on the other hand, at A Level you only need 3 of your A levels at the appropriate grades to achieve your offer whereas at AS Level you need as high a mark/UMS as possible to relieve pressure in your A2 year so I guess as long as you can scrape the grades or get close at A2 you'll be fine. But yeah, I'm more worried about what the Universities will think and whether it will be an advantage or diasvantage or neither.
Reply 586
Scrubby
Wow, that was quick. Personally I think I'm capable of the 4 A Levels but the only thing I'm worried about is possibly falling behind others and also, my careers advisor told me to drop a subject. Though on the other hand, at A Level you only need 3 of your A levels at the appropriate grades to achieve your offer whereas at AS Level you need as high a mark/UMS as possible to relieve pressure in your A2 year so I guess as long as you can scrape the grades or get close at A2 you'll be fine. But yeah, I'm more worried about what the Universities will think and whether it will be an advantage or diasvantage or neither.

I'm really pleased I dropped my further maths now even though I enjoyed maths. I did my maths A level in Jan and barring retakes that leaves me only 2 A2s in June. No disadvantage for Cambridge at all:smile:
Scrubby

Considering all the grade requirements are going up to AAA next year you really don't want to risk doing 4 and getting AABB rather that 3 and getting AAA :smile: also most of my friends that have done 4 this year have really regretted it as you do not need it and it is alot of work :biggrin:
Reply 588
Noble.
x

You seem to know a fair amount about Medicine and Cambridge. :smile: I wanted to ask how detrimental a single resit would be in Physics, which is my fifth subject, to my Cambridge application. Thanks. :smile:
Reply 589
Narik
You seem to know a fair amount about Medicine and Cambridge. :smile: I wanted to ask how detrimental a single resit would be in Physics, which is my fifth subject, to my Cambridge application. Thanks. :smile:

They generally say that doing one or two resits isn't detrimental to an application. Having said that it's not really clear how detrimental it is for someone who has taken multiple resits.
Right. Deferred entry/Gap year good for medicine or not? :s-smilie:
spacepirate-James
Right. Deferred entry/Gap year good for medicine or not? :s-smilie:

It's probably harder to get in through deferred entry, unless you've got some really solid plans.

I just applied during a gap year first time, I'd recommend doing that if you're sure you want a gap year.
Reply 592
JoanneEliz
Considering all the grade requirements are going up to AAA next year you really don't want to risk doing 4 and getting AABB rather that 3 and getting AAA :smile: also most of my friends that have done 4 this year have really regretted it as you do not need it and it is alot of work :biggrin:

I guess so. Looks like I'll have to do alot of thinking. Depends what I'm doing the worst in which would probably be Physics or Biology. But Biology is undroppable and Physics is my favourite subject...
Reply 593
medicine 2011 ... third time's a charm
JoanneEliz

All? :lolwut: 7 are putting up their requirements up to AAA but that doesn't mean all med schools as of 2011 want AAA.
felt_monkey
All? :lolwut: 7 are putting up their requirements up to AAA but that doesn't mean all med schools as of 2011 want AAA.

sorrryyyy i was just generalising a bit......
felt_monkey

No but if you want more than a snowball's chance in hell of getting in then you better have AAA at least. The academic requirements are the easiest to meet, if you can't even reach them then how do you plan on coping with the other elements?
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
No but if you want more than a snowball's chance in hell of getting in then you better have AAA at least. The academic requirements are the easiest to meet, if you can't even reach them then how do you plan on coping with the other elements?

I don't know what'll happen next year, but there are people this year getting unconditionals with AAB. So what if someone gets As in chem and bio at A2, but gets a B in something irrelevant, like history per se. Will they struggle with the 'other elements' then, even if they are clearly good at the science subjects med schools want?
felt_monkey
I don't know what'll happen next year, but there are people this year getting unconditionals with AAB. So what if someone gets As in chem and bio at A2, but gets a B in something irrelevant, like history per se. Will they struggle with the 'other elements' then, even if they are clearly good at the science subjects med schools want?

Whether they would struggle with the course or not is irrelevant, it is whether they get through the application process that matters. I am not saying that people with AAB do not get offers, just that you lot should stop complaining, if I were in charge I would put all the entry requirements up to A*A*A* right now and save the waiting because that is what they will be if the unis carry on at the current rate.
Reply 599
I'm trying to decide what to drop for A2 at the moment... I know I can't drop bio or chem, but would psychology be academic enough for a third A2?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending