The Student Room Group

2011 Entry- Hopeful Medic Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Jessaay!
Any experience is good experience so if you learn something relevant from St. John's Ambulance it'll only be positive to them, a lot of people volunteer with St. John's.

The most important thing I think a lot of applicants forget is it's not really what you do or the amount you do they're bothered about, but what you learnt from it that you think will be of importance to you at uni or to the career you wish to take. Get the work experience when you're 17 and then you'll be fine, you don't need loads of hospital work experience, in fact I'd argue that voluntary teaches you more, work experience is just important for you to see how it works in medical environments so you don't have a false view of it.

So true :smile: The St John's thing will also give me something to do over the summer, if it's helpful to me then its all the better!
Reply 81
Tallulah_
So true :smile: The St John's thing will also give me something to do over the summer, if it's helpful to me then its all the better!

Have fun with it :smile: If nothing else, you learn team work, gain confidence and know how to react in situations some people would panic in.
Just giving you a few things to build on there. I'd advise you record anything you learn there, and any situations you think have been character building. One of my questions at interview asked me of a specific scenario during my hospice work that taught me the importance of hospices so I told them one of my most memorable situations. A diary is ideal, especially seeing as your memory of this summer may be a bit rusty when you get to actually applying. :yes:
God is it that time again already, im applying for grad entry good luck to everyone...Anyone decided where they want to apply yet
I'd advise you record anything you learn there, and any situations you think have been character building. One of my questions at interview asked me of a specific scenario during my hospice work that taught me the importance of hospices so I told them one of my most memorable situations. A diary is ideal, especially seeing as your memory of this summer may be a bit rusty when you get to actually applying.

Tis good advice :yep:
Reply 84
brokenangel
Anyone decided where they want to apply yet

I've been looking into places, mostly so I can compare requirements etc.
I quite like the sound of Keele, how many places can you apply to?:confused:
Tallulah_
I quite like the sound of Keele, how many places can you apply to?:confused:

4 medicine choices and another for a different course.
Oh, and I'm another hopeful medic for 2011. :smile:
Reply 87
<3 biology!
4 medicine choices and another for a different course.

Tallulah_
I quite like the sound of Keele, how many places can you apply to?

4 for medicine and 2 others
brokenangel
4 for medicine and 2 others

Only 1 other.
Reply 90
Asclepius
Depends on your local Trust tbh, they have differing policies. Mine was that nobody under 18 could volunteer, which was pretty **** for me :p:

Completely off topic, but your profile says you go to a boys' school... :holmes:

Ah, thanks for that. I expect mine to have the same restrictions, tbh :frown:

Haha, indeed :yes: I don't go yet, but for the first time this September they're letting girls in, because they've begun the IB (there's about 10 of us). Not entirely sure what to expect - I imagine for the majority of the time the younger ones will be like 'Are they foreign students?'!
Yasmeenax
Ah, thanks for that. I expect mine to have the same restrictions, tbh :frown:

Haha, indeed :yes: I don't go yet, but for the first time this September they're letting girls in, because they've begun the IB (there's about 10 of us). Not entirely sure what to expect - I imagine for the majority of the time the younger ones will be like 'Are they foreign students?'!

Always worth a try I guess :dontknow:

I see, it was slightly confusing for a minute :beard: :p:
Reply 92
Hey guys

Could do with some help/advice if anyone is willing

I am third year psychology student - one more year to go. I have decided that I would rather do med. I knew I had made a mistake with Psych from the very first day and even though I had the marks for medicine and it was as easy to drop out and start over I continued with it because I had wanted to do it for such a long time and I felt I needed to give it a chance. 3 years later I know it is not what I want to do with the rest of my life.
I need help with my options if anyone has the time, that would be great
I am an irish student - with my leaving cert results (your equivalent of A-levels) I have 590 (out of 600) - with my subjects - Biology A1, Economics, A1, Business, A1, English, A1, Irish A1, French A2, Maths B2.
With my degree it will be expected to graduate with a 1.1- my marks are First year -78%, second year, 75% and I spend this year in an Austrian University as i did an ERASMUS (based in psychophysiology) there I however do not know my marks for this yet.
I have Entrance scholarship, 2 university scholarships and I am spending my summer doing undergraduate neuroscience research in the royal college of surgeons in Ireland on Schizophrenia, which is based in a psychiatry dept...my supervisor is however is a psychiatrist and has offered to help me get experience. However, this is the height of my clinical experience, have a little voluntary work but, not a lot.

Guys, is my experience too little to realistically apply for 2010 entry?
Is my leaving cert and degree not scientific enough?
Should I apply for 4 year Graduate entry(although, i know I am restricted with Psych being my undergrad. But I am eligible for places like kings colleeg in London) or would I be better to apply for 5year??

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks so much for taking the time to read this
Reply 93
dee_bee_T
Hey guys

Could do with some help/advice if anyone is willing

I am third year psychology student - one more year to go. I have decided that I would rather do med. I knew I had made a mistake with Psych from the very first day and even though I had the marks for medicine and it was as easy to drop out and start over I continued with it because I had wanted to do it for such a long time and I felt I needed to give it a chance. 3 years later I know it is not what I want to do with the rest of my life.
I need help with my options if anyone has the time, that would be great
I am an irish student - with my leaving cert results (your equivalent of A-levels) I have 590 (out of 600) - with my subjects - Biology A1, Economics, A1, Business, A1, English, A1, Irish A1, French A2, Maths B2.
With my degree it will be expected to graduate with a 1.1- my marks are First year -78%, second year, 75% and I spend this year in an Austrian University as i did an ERASMUS (based in psychophysiology) there I however do not know my marks for this yet.
I have Entrance scholarship, 2 university scholarships and I am spending my summer doing undergraduate neuroscience research in the royal college of surgeons in Ireland on Schizophrenia, which is based in a psychiatry dept...my supervisor is however is a psychiatrist and has offered to help me get experience. However, this is the height of my clinical experience, have a little voluntary work but, not a lot.

Guys, is my experience too little to realistically apply for 2010 entry?
Is my leaving cert and degree not scientific enough?
Should I apply for 4 year Graduate entry(although, i know I am restricted with Psych being my undergrad. But I am eligible for places like kings colleeg in London) or would I be better to apply for 5year??

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks so much for taking the time to read this

Your degree should be fine, though you should ring the universities with regards to whether you should go for the graduate course or the 5 year.

You will probably need to get more experience. Experience shouldn't be too hard to get, working a couple of hours in a hospice every week, for example, your shadowing a psychiatrist, maybe ask for some experience in other hospital departments, there are also lots of voluntary opportunities you could do with a little spare time, I'm personally a big fan of vitalise, which is a charity giving respite to disabled people, as I think it's valuable and enjoyable experience so if you have a spare week you can go to one of their centres then do that. :yes:

You don't necessarily need to have years of experience as long as you do a fair bit and can justify how it was valuable. Though I'm not the wisest for graduate medicine and I think most people on this thread are undergraduates so it may be best asking somewhere else. Hope I've helped anyway :yes:
Reply 94
Possibly me if I make up my mind and take a gap year. Gonna try and get plenty of work experience in for the year...

good luck to all =]
dee_bee_T

Jess has already given you a pretty comprehensive response, so I won't bother with most of the post as I'd just be repeating what has already been said. Just wanted to add that it tends to be the norm for graduates to apply for a mixture of GEP courses and standard 5/6yr undergraduate entry courses, purely to improve their chance of success due to the overly competitive nature of GEP.

I second the suggestion of Vitalise too :smile:
Reply 96
i think vitalise is full for the moment :smile:
Reply 97
Guys thanks so much for your advice :smile: Much appreciated :smile: Hope it all works out for everyone :smile:
Reply 98
w04andia
i think vitalise is full for the moment :smile:

How do you know?
Initially I was told that they had no spaces when I was first applying, but I just phoned them up and they sat there and ran through all the places I could go, most centres have one or two free spaces each week, and there's always cancellations. Phone them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending