The Student Room Group
Reply 1
becasue k has oxidation state of +1, nitrogen +3 and oxygen -2, which add up to which is the oxisation sate of the whole molecule
anyone else?
Reply 3
Hmm ... I agree with you (Apart from your equation not being balanced :wink: ), I don't think nitrites decompose upon heating so I don't think the original compound could be KNO2. KNO3 makes so much more sense.
oxymoron
Hmm ... I agree with you (Apart from your equation not being balanced :wink: ), I don't think nitrites decompose upon heating so I don't think the original compound could be KNO2. KNO3 makes so much more sense.

thankyou. I'll talk to my teacher today about it. He hates edexcel because of their dodgy mark schemes.
Reply 5
oxymoron

yep, i second that. I think that KNO2 is due to KNO3 that hasn't been fully reduced and is left as the nitrite (cos we dont live in an ideal world :frown:)
Mathemagician
yep, i second that. I think that KNO2 is due to KNO3 that hasn't been fully reduced and is left as the nitrite (cos we dont live in an ideal world :frown:)

yep, confirmed by mark scheme in school today, it was KNO3.
The green book was wrong. :frown:

Latest