The Student Room Group

Revision for A level

How long should I revise for A levels during the week and the weekend? And what are the best ways to revise for A-level biology and A-level chemistry?
Reply 1
I'm going into Year 13 in September doing Edexcel Chemistry and OCRA Biology.

I would say that practice questions are the best way.
I made flash cards after each lesson and so was able to use those to get a general bit of knowledge, but that works better for biology than chemistry.
When I had a test, I looked online for per chapter practice questions. I’ve found that Study Mind is best for biology and PMT for Chemistry as those are more difficult maths questions.
I would try to answer all the questions in a paper and then look at the mark scheme. If I can’t answer a maths based question, then I would look at the first step in the mark scheme and then try to continue it or look at the next step if I still can’t.
Especially for inorganic chemistry, I have found practice questions to be great as there is limited questions they can ask as well as the maths questions.
Also, draw out the organic chemistry mechanisms many times until you have memorised them.
I hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by CatLover1
I'm going into Year 13 in September doing Edexcel Chemistry and OCRA Biology.

I would say that practice questions are the best way.
I made flash cards after each lesson and so was able to use those to get a general bit of knowledge, but that works better for biology than chemistry.
When I had a test, I looked online for per chapter practice questions. I’ve found that Study Mind is best for biology and PMT for Chemistry as those are more difficult maths questions.
I would try to answer all the questions in a paper and then look at the mark scheme. If I can’t answer a maths based question, then I would look at the first step in the mark scheme and then try to continue it or look at the next step if I still can’t.
Especially for inorganic chemistry, I have found practice questions to be great as there is limited questions they can ask as well as the maths questions.
Also, draw out the organic chemistry mechanisms many times until you have memorised them.
I hope this helps.

This really helped thank you

Quick Reply

Latest