The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Britain, because it will be backed by the US.

Russia won't stand a chance, because its military cannot cope. Neither can its economy for that matter.
I don't know what you're thread is asking because for one, there is no British Empire or Soviet Union. Thus, is it Britain v Russia, and why would that happen? Not as if they hate each other, or Russia is a real threat anymore.
As has been pointed out there is no British Empire or USSR anymore and any such war between Britain and Russia would result in an emphatic defeat for Russia - this would be a conflict between what is pretty much a third world nation and one of the worlds richest and most advanced after all not to mention the fact that Britain has far more powerful allies (and more of them) than Russia.
Reply 4
As neither will exist in 2010, I'd go for a stalemate.
Reply 5
Russian clothes eventually wear out and they all freeze.
Reply 6
There's a reason why there have been no major (i.e. not skirmishes) wars between two powerful countries since WWII. Hint: neither side would emerge victorious. Even if no nuclear weapons were used, it's inconceivable that either country would be able to occupy a significant portion of the other. Considering that Russia is 70 times larger than Great Britain, I strongly doubt that Britain would be able to occupy large portions of Russia. Needless to say, given Britain naval superiority, Russia would not be able to land troops on British soil.
It really is a pointless question - have Britain and Russia in the last few years ever looked like going to war? lol it's actually funny even talking about it. In a way Russia is a minor ally of the West these days (although they'd not admit it). Really, it's the West against Islamic Fundementalist Terrorism, and Russia can obviously only find itself on one side.
Reply 8
Both empires are dead. That would never happen. Hell, it's not even worth talking about.
I don't believe two major world powers will ever go to war again.
Reply 9
Good God! Can't a man post a hypothetical thread without being badgered into shame?!!! Of course I bloody damn well know that both empires are gone! Sheesh!

I'm asking a great "What If" question. If the Empire and the USSR had not fallen and had survived up to 2010 in time to wage war with one another, who would triumph? I mean, we'd pit our Challenger 2s, AS90 Bravehearts, carriers, frigates, submarines, and F-35s against their T-90s, Katyushas, Sovremenny missile cruisers, Typhoon-class ballistic subs, MIGs and Sukhois. Leave out the "Johnny Foreigners and Come-Latelys" such as China and America. This is a theoretical slugfest between John Bull and Mother Russia.
Reply 10
Rex Imperator
Good God! Can't a man post a hypothetical thread without being badgered into shame?!!! Of course I bloody damn well know that both empires are gone! Sheesh!

I'm asking a great "What If" question. If the Empire and the USSR had not fallen and had survived up to 2010 in time to wage war with one another, who would triumph? I mean, we'd pit our Challenger 2s, AS90 Bravehearts, carriers, frigates, submarines, and F-35s against their T-90s, Katyushas, Sovremenny missile cruisers, Typhoon-class ballistic subs, MIGs and Sukhois. Leave out the "Johnny Foreigners and Come-Latelys" such as China and America. This is a theoretical slugfest between John Bull and Mother Russia.

Definitely the Soviet Union then. Britain always relied on Naval power so it would be unable to defend its Empire in Asia. Soviet tanks would roll into India via Afghanistan and the Middle East, possibly taking Turkey in order to control the Straits, thus depriving Britain of its major trade. After this they would probably sue for peace as they would have no chance retaking their lost posessions. If not, the Soviet Navy would give a hell of a fight in the Med and the Baltic, losing eventually but incurring heavy losses on the British... Soviet airforce would win, as it is far larger and their newer aircraft are superior to anything the British have. errrm in any case Russia would have the resources to build new planes and ships, where as the starved British Isles would just quietly collapse into civil war and die, after which massive soviet paratrooper landings followed by a huge seaborne assault will finish off the war. The rest of the Empire (Australia, Canada, South Africa) would surrender after the defeat of the British Isles and become Soviet puppet states.
Reply 11
TheVlad
Definitely the Soviet Union then. Britain always relied on Naval power so it would be unable to defend its Empire in Asia. Soviet tanks would roll into India via Afghanistan and the Middle East, possibly taking Turkey in order to control the Straits, thus depriving Britain of its major trade. After this they would probably sue for peace as they would have no chance retaking their lost posessions. If not, the Soviet Navy would give a hell of a fight in the Med and the Baltic, losing eventually but incurring heavy losses on the British... Soviet airforce would win, as it is far larger and their newer aircraft are superior to anything the British have. errrm in any case Russia would have the resources to build new planes and ships, where as the starved British Isles would just quietly collapse into civil war and die, after which massive soviet paratrooper landings followed by a huge seaborne assault will finish off the war. The rest of the Empire (Australia, Canada, South Africa) would surrender after the defeat of the British Isles and become Soviet puppet states.

Why would the rest of the empire surrender when the Soviet Union would have no chance of attacking it?
Reply 12
Bismarck
Why would the rest of the empire surrender when the Soviet Union would have no chance of attacking it?

Because the Navy would give up after the British Isles are taken. Or possibly before that, when the Russian Airforce bombs the hell out of it.
Britain is the centre of the Empire that binds it together, if it is taken out, the other countries lose their will to fight on and declare independence.
Reply 13
I think India would be far too large for the Soviet Union to capture. 6 Afganistans at once?
Reply 14
TheVlad
Because the Navy would give up after the British Isles are taken. Or possibly before that, when the Russian Airforce bombs the hell out of it.
Britain is the centre of the Empire that binds it together, if it is taken out, the other countries lose their will to fight on and declare independence.

What're the "new" planes the Soviet Union has in this situation? In the 80's, the MIG aircraft of defectors weren't much more advanced than Spitfires with jet engines. 1940's radioactive glowing gauges for in the dark, and everything.
Reply 15
JonD
I think India would be far too large for the Soviet Union to capture. 6 Afganistans at once?

Russia did manage to capture Afghanistan in the 80s. They couldn't control it for an extended period of time because they were seen as foreign invaders and the rebels were supported by the USA who will not figure here. However, if countries like India are still part of the Empire, they wouldn't have any experience of independence so for them it would be one group of white colonial rulers replacing another.
Reply 16
JonD
What're the "new" planes the Soviet Union has in this situation? In the 80's, the MIG aircraft of defectors weren't much more advanced than Spitfires with jet engines. 1940's radioactive glowing gauges for in the dark, and everything.

This is 2010, we have new MIG-29, which actually happen to be pretty good planes, comparable to the F-16. Modern SU-37s are damn good too with their thrust vectoring engines and modern toys. Then you have the prototype SU-37 Berkut .
Reply 17
an Siarach
As has been pointed out there is no British Empire or USSR anymore and any such war between Britain and Russia would result in an emphatic defeat for Russia - this would be a conflict between what is pretty much a third world nation and one of the worlds richest and most advanced after all not to mention the fact that Britain has far more powerful allies (and more of them) than Russia.

Are you kidding? In a straight fight (without allies and forgetting nukes) the Russians would make short work of the UK. Good God, we only have around 96'000 soldiers in the Army; the Russians probably have 10 times that number. And their equipment, is easily as good as ours......Christ.....we're still using cell phones as our major means of front line communication :rolleyes: and can't even collect enough desert gear together for a poxy contingent of 8000 in Iraq.....

My money would be firmly on Mother Russia.
Reply 18
And then you have this baby. Which would actually work as opposed to the SA-80.
Reply 19
TheVlad
And then you have this baby. Which would actually work as opposed to the SA-80.

OOoooh.....I've got one of those (well, an AK.....which is pretty similar :biggrin: )

Latest

Trending

Trending