The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by DazA
Ever heard of a cheque?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Means giving them my address...takes time to receive and to clear. Not convenient.
Reply 21
Original post by taylorg292
I'm a blogger and media companies have been contacting me recently to place ads on my blog, and I thought the safest way to be paid for this was to use my paypal. However even though it wasn't an ebay transaction, paypal is taking an annoying chunk of what I'm earning.
Would it be safe to give my sort code and acc number to the media companies and ask them to do a direct transfer? Is there anyway this could result in me being scammed?

No. Open a Debit Card account or something.
Reply 22
I may be wrong, but I thought the acc number and sort code was needed for someone to put cash into your account only, to take out would be the card number? I've only given my acc number/sort code to friends and companies to reimburse (but I knew they were safe).
It is as safe as driving to work. If in the very, very unlikely event these details were used fraudulently you would be entitled to a refund.

A cheque that everyone thinks is as safe as houses carries much higher risks. Why? As the previous poster states it has, 1.) Your account no. and sort code 2.) It has the name of your bank and there address 3.) It has your name 4.) IT HAS YOUR SIGNATURE 5.) and normally the recipient will have your address

So in conclusion it is far, far safer issuing a stranger with your account no. than writing a cheque.

If sending money by PayPal use send to friends and family option, you will not be charged for receiving the money, but there is no PayPal guarantee either.
Clarkson thought it was safe too.
Until he put his sort code and acct number in a newspaper to prove how safe it was..
And someone opened a direct debit on his account...

Paypal borders on being a rogue company that set it itself up outside the UK in Luxembourg to avoid UK control.
They regularly freeze accounts and make people jump through all sorts of hoops to reopen them.
I will not trade with individuals or companies that insist on Paypal.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
Its safe,others said about clarkson doing it... What they didn't say is the direct debit guarantee, which means he got 100% of his money back if he wanted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Cheques have bank account and sort code details on them !

Latest

Trending

Trending