The Student Room Group

Should I ask for more work experience ?

I've spent this past week on a placement at a local clinic and I've been wondering if I should ask them if I would be able to do some in the holidays too.
I've seen some uni's saying they like 2 weeks which makes me a little more concerned that I only have one week.

The problem that I have though is for starters in kind of shy, secondly it turns out that the dentist I was assigned to is actually friends with my uncle, to what extent I don't know but they do know each other and I feel that it may make it a little awkward.

Any advice ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by D41VNY
I've spent this past week on a placement at a local clinic and I've been wondering if I should ask them if I would be able to do some in the holidays too.
I've seen some uni's saying they like 2 weeks which makes me a little more concerned that I only have one week.

The problem that I have though is for starters in kind of shy, secondly it turns out that the dentist I was assigned to is actually friends with my uncle, to what extent I don't know but they do know each other and I feel that it may make it a little awkward.

Any advice ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is a "no brainer"! You must ask for more work experience. Most Unis require a minimum of 2 weeks work experience (and preferably in a variety of settings).
You are in a fortunate position because you have one foot in the door - there are some applicants, who don't have contacts, who struggle to get work experience.
Try and get over your shy nature (you will need to do this anyway if you want to be a dentist). Also ASK today, don't put it off.
The best approach is to effusively thank the dentist and rest of staff team for their time and for the placements. Be really enthusiastic and say how you have enjoyed your week and how you have learnt so much. Ask if there is any possibility of more opportunities to shadow. If they can't offer a full week, ask for odd days. Also ask if you could volunteer to help with reception, filing etc. Be honest.... say that you would love to learn more and also add that you need experience to meet Uni requirements. The fact that your dentist is friends with your uncle means that it is more likely that he will say YES. If they say NO then you have lost nothing by asking. Also if they do say NO, then ask if they have any contacts or know of any other dentists who would take you on.
Also seen you post ref gift for dentist. A card/hand written note would be lovely and more than sufficient. Would perhaps leave gift for now and if they offer your more work experience perhaps send in a gift. Also a good idea is to send in a box of nice biscuits for the staff team to share.
Reply 2
Try and get some variety, ask your dentist to intro you to some orthodontists/endodontists, and try and get some experience in hospital dentistry as well as oral/maxillofacial surgery for comparison with a GDP. OMFS is very interesting

Quick Reply

Latest