The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mudya
Me too, really want to go into clinical. Its a tough path, I've met so many people who have so much 'relevant' experience but are being turned down and the worst thing is that it is very hard to find PAID work experience, scary times...
I'm in my 2nd year of uni. So far I've worked for Samaritans, I'm now a volunteer researcher part of a study screening adults for social and communication disorders. My job is to work in various mental health outpatient clinics and wards in Leicester and ask patients to fill out two questionnaires. I really hate it, but any little bit of experience really counts! And we were told that we may be able to work in the hospitals afterwards... so fingers crossed!

Have you thought about applying for paid care assistant and support worker jobs? I obtained both paid positions without any direct experience whatsoever by applying for jobs on the job centre website(although I had to hide my postgraduate qualifications). Some of these roles involved/involves personal care, and has provided me with an invaluable insight into working with different client groups as well as the dynamics in different social care settings which is helping contextualise my PhD research.

Assuming you're on track for at least a 2.1, with the experience you have so far, when you graduate, it sounds like you're on the right track for obtaining interviews for the super competitive paid psychology graduate posts (assistant psychologist/research assistant posts).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by *Elizabeth*
Have you thought about applying for paid care assistant and support worker jobs? I obtained both paid positions without any direct experience whatsoever by applying for jobs on the job centre website(although I had to hide my postgraduate qualifications). Some of these roles involved/involves personal care, and has provided me with an invaluable insight into working with different client groups as well as the dynamics in different social care settings which is helping contextualise my PhD research.

Assuming you're on track for at least a 2.1, with the experience you have so far, when you graduate, it sounds like you're on the right track for obtaining interviews for the super competitive paid psychology graduate posts (assistant psychologist/research assistant posts).

Thanks for the assurance and advice. I have definitely thought about working as a care assistant/support worker and will look more into it once I'm done with my current experience. Good luck with your PhD!
Reply 42
Original post by Mudya
Me too, really want to go into clinical. Its a tough path, I've met so many people who have so much 'relevant' experience but are being turned down and the worst thing is that it is very hard to find PAID work experience, scary times...
I'm in my 2nd year of uni. So far I've worked for Samaritans, I'm now a volunteer researcher part of a study screening adults for social and communication disorders. My job is to work in various mental health outpatient clinics and wards in Leicester and ask patients to fill out two questionnaires. I really hate it, but any little bit of experience really counts! And we were told that we may be able to work in the hospitals afterwards... so fingers crossed!

That voluntary researcher post sounds like excellent experience.. can I ask how exactly you went about getting it?
Original post by Annie :)
That voluntary researcher post sounds like excellent experience.. can I ask how exactly you went about getting it?

At my university, I've seen emails sent to everyone within my department from students advertising themselves for 1-2 days a week to help out as a volunteer with relevant research projects. I've also worked in departments where there was a desk especially for volunteer researchers!

Students tend to briefly state their academic cred (ie 1st) and relevant experience. I know from experience that academics tends to be very overworked with limited times on their hands, so some are willing to take on volunteers to help out with bigger research projects.

I don't know the success rate of people obtaining these positions, but I know of several examples where students obtained good voluntary positions which lead to paid work.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Annie :)

One of the research assistants emailed all 1st, 2nd and 3rd year psychology students explaining the role and asking us if we wanted to take part. So I guess I was very lucky in that I didn't have to do anything to find the post.
I've been neglecting it lately, but I guess if I want a good reference I need to get a move on with it!
Counselling Psychology

Latest