The Student Room Group

What can u do with psychology?

I’m taking psychology as a GCSE and I really liked it and I’m planning on doing it for A level and probably Uni as well (if I go) but what can I do with that? I hear some people saying that I need further education than Uni and it’s all really hard and I should only do it if I’m willing to put in 110% all the time. I’m super stressed about the future and I don’t know what I want to do for a job after education is done, a therapist or psychologist sounds like something I’d enjoy but I really don’t know, any help would be appreciated (good luck to all GCSE students for results day)
Original post by Notoriouschase
I’m taking psychology as a GCSE and I really liked it and I’m planning on doing it for A level and probably Uni as well (if I go) but what can I do with that? I hear some people saying that I need further education than Uni and it’s all really hard and I should only do it if I’m willing to put in 110% all the time. I’m super stressed about the future and I don’t know what I want to do for a job after education is done, a therapist or psychologist sounds like something I’d enjoy but I really don’t know, any help would be appreciated (good luck to all GCSE students for results day)

It you want to be a practicing psychologist (i.e. see patients / clients) then that's not a trivial journey. You'd need a Psychology degree and then a postgraduate degree (normally a doctorate, but potentially a masters depending on the type of psychologist you want to be).

However, you also mentioned being "a therapist". That's a much simpler journey, as is being a counsellor. See this web page for a comparison of the following similar roles: counsellor, psychotherapist, counselling psychologist, clinical psychologist, and psychiatrist.

Quick Reply

Latest