The Student Room Group

Clinical Psychology or developmental psychology

Hey!
So I have been accepted into both clinical (Bath) and developmental psych (KCL) programs and I genuinely can't decide between the 2.
Can anybody help me assess the scope and tell me which has a higher scope since I wanna practice with patients in the future.
As in undergrads for both. If so then neither will have much difference between them in terms of leading to directly working with people. They are unlikely to provide any practical therapeutic skills at all, undergrads in these areas are primarily just theoretical in nature, and both topics are equally relevant to underlying therories of people/ways of understaning processes. I note you used the "patients", be aware this is generally seen as coming from a medical model, most therapists would cringe/rail against these sort of descriptors. Patients imply a degree of passiveness in therapy, and harks back to dark times where mental health difficulties were seen as primarily biological in nature and forgetting lived experience/trauma in difficulties. Client/people is sufficient, although services do like Service user.

Regarding therapy, you dont need a degree to do this. Some modalities do need all the way up to doctorate (clinical psychologist etc) but some need only practical diplomas (counsellor etc). Regardless of the trg, all require significant self development, insight, empathy and ability to endure significant distress (both in them and you). I say this as too many people think therapy means simply listening and giving advice, it is very rarely ever this.

Greg
Reply 2
Original post by greg tony
As in undergrads for both. If so then neither will have much difference between them in terms of leading to directly working with people. They are unlikely to provide any practical therapeutic skills at all, undergrads in these areas are primarily just theoretical in nature, and both topics are equally relevant to underlying therories of people/ways of understaning processes. I note you used the "patients", be aware this is generally seen as coming from a medical model, most therapists would cringe/rail against these sort of descriptors. Patients imply a degree of passiveness in therapy, and harks back to dark times where mental health difficulties were seen as primarily biological in nature and forgetting lived experience/trauma in difficulties. Client/people is sufficient, although services do like Service user.

Regarding therapy, you dont need a degree to do this. Some modalities do need all the way up to doctorate (clinical psychologist etc) but some need only practical diplomas (counsellor etc). Regardless of the trg, all require significant self development, insight, empathy and ability to endure significant distress (both in them and you). I say this as too many people think therapy means simply listening and giving advice, it is very rarely ever this.

Greg
So I was speaking at a masters level since anyways the choice of a specialization comes at a masters level only.
Idk why I used the term patients here when I always use clients while speaking, my bad anyways.

But my question originally was which field of psych has a higher scope/higher chances of getting a job in the UK, Clinical or developmental psychology.
Original post by Zazu26
So I was speaking at a masters level since anyways the choice of a specialization comes at a masters level only.
Idk why I used the term patients here when I always use clients while speaking, my bad anyways.

But my question originally was which field of psych has a higher scope/higher chances of getting a job in the UK, Clinical or developmental psychology.
Even for masters courses they will not be vocational or therapeutic training, and mainly academic. They don't directly lead to jobs. If the MSc has a placement you will be exposed to a clinical setting, but you will still be limited in what you are doing there.

Neither really has 'higher scope' for employment. In the UK for psychology, most of the qualifications that you need to work as a psychologist are at doctoral level. Masters can be helpful in getting pre qualified roles like assistant psychologist, but it's less about the specific subject but more to learn more about an area, do focussed research or making connections. It's more about proving yourself academically, and publishing so you stand out from the crowd when it comes to gaining the experience for doctoral psychology training.

Quick Reply

Latest