The Student Room Group

Geography Edexcel case studies unit 1

Could anyone help me with a few case studies/examples that would be briefly mentioned in Section A? As I've been taught the compulsory case studies such as the Arctic and Africa. Yet I don't have anything to mention as an example for the 5 markers (to back what you're saying up). Or is it not necessary? Thanks.
Reply 1
Hiya,
Did you do the California and Philippines case studies? We've also done two more hazards for the hazard risk equation (Sichuan earthquake and Hurricane Katrina) I think it also says on the spec that you need to know hazard risk in a local area. If you want any details on the individual case studies let me know. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by RebeccaLM
Hiya,
Did you do the California and Philippines case studies? We've also done two more hazards for the hazard risk equation (Sichuan earthquake and Hurricane Katrina) I think it also says on the spec that you need to know hazard risk in a local area. If you want any details on the individual case studies let me know. :smile:

Yeah we've just done the compulsory ones. What is it the Sichuan earthquake?
Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
The Sichuan isn't compulsory our teahcer just used it to demonstrate the hazard risk equation so you won't be asked a direct question on it but it's useful to have another example:
It was 12.05.2008, and 7.9 on the Richter scale
It's on the Longmenshan fault (a thrust fault on the Yangtze plate)
It's near the collision boundary between the Indian and Eurasian plate
69,000 people were killed
374,000 people were injured
4.8 were left homeless
It caused $100bn worth of damage (this varies depending on the source, some say $20bn)
Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending