The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Maybe I should mention that I have NO geographical knowledge of Oxford once you go over Magdalen Bridge (towards the Cowley Rd/Iffley diresction). :biggrin:
Reply 41
Clodagh
Maybe I should mention that I have NO geographical knowledge of Oxford once you go over Magdalen Bridge (towards the Cowley Rd/Iffley diresction). :biggrin:

:smile: My geographical knowledge is equal but opposite - I only know North Oxford really. Summertown is north up Banbury Road. About 10 (?) mins beyond St. Hugh's. When you hit town, you'll see a big M&S, and Ewert House is basically next to it. You've got a long walk from Magdalen Bridge, though. Perhaps a bus?
Reply 42
RichE
A standard offer tends to be for 38.

wf, is that 38/40? if so that is like a higher offer than A-levels, aren't they? or are IB supposed to be easier?

Phil
Reply 43
The standard offer is more like 40 points. The maximum possible score is 45.
Reply 44
identityunknown
I'm currently studying IB diploma programme with Chemistry, Maths and Physics as my HL subject. I would like to apply to Oxbridge but not sure whether to choose Oxford or Cambridge. Can anyone give me some advice? My profession and area of study is Physics. So, I'm wondering whether I should choose Oxford or Cambridge. Any advice ?

Thanks for the advice.
:smile:

At Oxford, you will study physics right from the word go. If you want the flexibility to choose non-physics subjects and perhaps to delay the decision about which is your main subject then Oxford Physics is not for you. The Natural Sciences course at Cambridge is perhaps far more suitable. Choosing between Physics and NatSci should be your primary concern. But from what you've written so far, it seems that Oxford Physics is more your kind of thing. Secondly, you should also consider which place will suit you better as an individual, and the opportunities for scholarship that each provides (that is, if that's important to you).

As for the relative strengths of Oxford and Cambridge physics, and science in general, both were/are pretty much level, contrary to popular belief. This can be proved with facts. The myth that Oxford's strengths in the arts is not matched in the sciences, is a perception tamed by some very ill-informed laymen that surround us all, and is totally unfounded. Take chemistry for example, Oxford's chemistry department is the largest in the world, and is extraordinarily distinguished. As for physics, Oxford's department was one of the only three departments to be given a 6* rating in the 2003 review of 2001 British Research Assessment Exercise (alongside Cambridge and Imperial), it also got the top rating in all the previous RAEs i.e. 1992, 1996, & 2001. It is also among the largest in the world. The 2001 RAE results for physics also show that Oxford has the most research active staff, followed by Cambridge and Imperial. As for the teaching, the QAA describes Oxford's physics curriculum as 'demanding', no such word has been used for Cambridge's (or Imperial's, for that matter), though I am sure they are demanding too.

All in all, base your decision based on what I wrote in the first paragraph. Otherwise, there is nothing else to choose between the two.
Reply 45
kildare

Well, for Oxford at least the standard offer tends to be more like 38. See

http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/int/eu/quals.shtml

I should have made it clear that I couldn't speak for Cambridge.
Reply 46
kildare

Which leads me to suspect that the IB is probably a better top-end discriminator than A levels (i.e. at differentiating between the really outstanding and the merely very good). Correct me if I'm wrong.

And two queries:

A) If you do the IB, do you just get an overall score, or do you also get scores for individual subjects ?
B) Are certain subjects obligatory in the IB, and if so what are they ?

Forgive my ignorance and curiosity.
Reply 47
SpyMaster
the IB is probably a better top-end discriminator than A levels (i.e. at differentiating between the really outstanding and the merely very good)

Yes, a lot of people accept that's the case. Cambridge want A-levels to be scrapped or reformed, although I think Oxford still support them.
Reply 48
identityunknown
I'm an IB student. What score you think is the least I should get in order to apply for Oxbridge? Of course, at least get the interview as well..

LOL. Since u r a KPM student (taking physics course only) so i dun think it will be high for u. U will can a unconditional offer of course anywhere u want. :wink:
Reply 49
Squishy
Yes, a lot of people accept that's the case. Cambridge want A-levels to be scrapped or reformed, although I think Oxford still support them.

Oxford don't support them either. I have read manifold articles of them complaining of how unreliable A-levels are in discriminating between the merely very good and the excellent, and have appreciated recent measures such as AEAs intended to correct the situation. Personally, I firmly stand by Oxbridge's stance.
Reply 50
Taha
Oxford don't support them either. I have read manifold articles of them complaining of how unreliable A-levels are in discriminating between the merely very good and the excellent, and have appreciated recent measures such as AEAs intended to correct the situation. Personally, I firmly stand by Oxbridge's stance.

Oh, OK...I just seem to remember seeing an Oxford press release where they said they didn't want to see A-levels and GCSEs replaced by an English diploma, but I might've misunderstood.
Reply 51
Squishy
Oh, OK...I just seem to remember seeing an Oxford press release where they said they didn't want to see A-levels and GCSEs replaced by an English diploma, but I might've misunderstood.

Yeah, I definitely remember a big article a couple of days after cambridge said a-levels were rubbish that said oxford still support them. Shall have a look.

Edit: I can't find it in the proper paper where I thought I saw it, so you'll have to make do with this! http://www.oxfordstudent.com/ht2005wk6/News/oxford_voices_confidence_in_a-level_system
Reply 52
Bezza
Edit: I can't find it in the proper paper where I thought I saw it, so you'll have to make do with this! http://www.oxfordstudent.com/ht2005wk6/News/oxford_voices_confidence_in_a-level_system

Oh, thanks, that's actually where I read it, I remember now. :biggrin: I read too many news articles online and I forget most of them very quickly.
Reply 53
Bezza
Yeah, I definitely remember a big article a couple of days after cambridge said a-levels were rubbish that said oxford still support them. Shall have a look.

Oxford may not sound as harsh on A-levels as Cambridge, but that's probably because Oxford holds its own written tests for entry to many of its courses, and they serve initial purpose of discriminating the most able candidates from others. Cambridge on the other hand does not administer any such tests (at-least as far as I know), and would obviously be expected to be harsher on A-levels.

But that doesn't mean that Oxford completely supports them either. The article itself quotes an Oxford University spokesperson saying: "We are not as reliant on A-Levels as other universities. We would welcome any changes in the school system that would provide more information on the most intelligent students." I have read them saying similar things on their own website and on others such as Times Online and THES.
Reply 54
I don't think Oxford fully supports A-levels either, but they don't dislike them as much as Cambridge does. Cambridge asked undergrad applicants last year for their UMS at AS, which I think they were told off by UCAS for doing...as for tests, Cambridge has tests or asks for school essays for a lot of subjects, but the admissions process is different...they seem to like to get it done really fast, whereas Oxford normally have you hang around and take in the city for a few days.
Reply 55
Squishy
I don't think Oxford fully supports A-levels either, but they don't dislike them as much as Cambridge does. Cambridge asked undergrad applicants last year for their UMS at AS, which I think they were told off by UCAS for doing...as for tests, Cambridge has tests or asks for school essays for a lot of subjects, but the admissions process is different...they seem to like to get it done really fast, whereas Oxford normally have you hang around and take in the city for a few days.

Yes, Cambridge does have tests, but as far as my knowledge goes, they are not 'internal' tests like Oxford's, they are 'external' ones like the TSA, AEAs, STEP, UMS etc. That way they are expected to be more opposed to A-levels than Oxford, which holds its own tests that are obviously more reliable than any external ones.
Taha
Yes, Cambridge does have tests, but as far as my knowledge goes, they are not 'internal' tests like Oxford's, they are 'external' ones like the TSA, AEAs, STEP, UMS etc. That way they are expected to be more opposed to A-levels than Oxford, which holds its own tests

Well STEP is actually a Cambridge-run exam, but also many of the colleges run tests of their own for candidates. Not all of them, but a lot do.
Reply 57
Taha
Yes, Cambridge does have tests, but as far as my knowledge goes, they are not 'internal' tests like Oxford's, they are 'external' ones like the TSA, AEAs, STEP, UMS etc. That way they are expected to be more opposed to A-levels than Oxford, which holds its own tests

What do you mean by external? TSA and STEP are set by the University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate, which is a department of the university. Various colleges have also developed their own testing procedures, but the admissions system will never be perfect.
Reply 58
Squishy
What do you mean by external? TSA and STEP are set by the University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate, which is a department of the university. Various colleges have also developed their own testing procedures, but the admissions system will never be perfect.

Well, in my country, even A-levels are administered by UCLES, my examining board being CIE (Cambridge International Examinations). Does that mean my A-levels are an internal Cambridge affair? TSA, STEP, and for that matter also the BMAT, are as internally Cambridge as my A-levels. That is, they are not truly 'internal' at all, as everyone (not only Cambridge applicants) may take them. Most Oxford ones are in a 'true' sense internal, do you get what I mean? That is, they are exclusively for Oxford applicants.
Reply 59
Taha
Well, in my country, even A-levels are administered by UCLES, my examining board being CIE (Cambridge International Examinations). Does that mean my A-levels are an internal Cambridge affair? TSA, STEP, and for that matter also the BMAT, are as internally Cambridge as my A-levels. That is, they are not truly 'internal' at all, as everyone (not only Cambridge applicants) may take them. Most Oxford ones are in a 'true' sense internal, do you get what I mean? That is, they are exclusively for Oxford applicants.

Oh, I see, well I understood internal as meaning they were set by the university. Cambridge University has direct control over what goes into the STEP papers and TSA, so it's not like their standards are decided by outside institutions. I don't know of any particular advantage in tests that are exclusively for Oxford or Cambridge students.

Latest

Trending

Trending