The Student Room Group

BA (Hons) - Law (Jurisprudence) at Oxford only allows choice of 2 optional papers?

This poll is closed

Oxford should allow a choice of 6 optional papers for Law?

Yes, 6 full papers for optional paper choices? 60%
No, keep it at just 2 full optional paper choices?40%
Total votes: 5
BA (Hons) - Law at Oxford only allows choice of 2 optional papers?

https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/content/options-page/ba-jurisprudence-options

Although Oxford's Law department has an impressive range of Law papers, but they don't allow more than 2 choices for the optional papers?! :frown:

Where as, Cambridge University Law, allows choice of 6 full papers with 3 choices in Year 2 and 3 choices in Year 3.

Surely Oxford University must overhaul and 'modernise' their outdated FHS system?! :s-smilie:

Oxford also only asks for AAA, which is the same as SOAS. But they receive applicants who will achieve A*A*A or A*A*A with ease, so surely they should turn away the AAA and AAB applicants? Because so much more time is taken to look at applications from AAA candidates or less as well.

Please vote in the poll!!! :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Magdalen College, St. Johns College, Christ Church College, Merton College, University College, Queens College, New College and Oriel College all look amazing with awesome architecture too but I would be restricted to just 2 optional modules in Law!!! :frown:

Perhaps I should compile a report on the modules offered and send it to all the colleges at Oxford University? :smile: lol

@Oxford Mum
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by thegeek888
Magdalen College, St. Johns College, Christ Church College, Merton College, University College, Queens College, New College and Oriel College all look amazing with awesome architecture too but I would be restricted to just 2 optional modules in Law!!! :frown:

Perhaps I should compile a report on the modules offered and send it to all the colleges at Oxford University? :smile: lol

@Oxford Mum

Goodness, you can’t do that! These tutors who designed the courses are world experts and it’s as if you are telling them that you know better than them! Obviously this will not go down well.

the entire Oxford system is based on the fact that it never changes. Yes, the course may seem a bit outdated ( you study Roman law at Oxford which is the basis for modern law but is no longer used). However it must work, because the majority of judges were educated at Oxbridge, which goes a long way to explaining why the course is massively oversubscribed.

I can say this about Oxford courses - they go into massive detail and are very challenging. This detail meant that one of my elder son’s friends applied for a masters degree at a red brick university, only to find he had covered the same material in his second year at Oxford.

Even getting a first class degree at Oxford in another subject, and then doing a law conversion course at another university can get you into a magic circle law firm ( which I have seen happen myself to two acquaintances), such is Oxford’s reputation.

I don’t agree with you when you question the requirement of aaa to get in. Oxford want someone who has a facility with language and reasoning rather than ability to pass exams well.

my younger son graduated seventh in his year for medicine and is now setting up his own business. Oxford asked for a*aa, whereas at Cambridge it is a*a*a. It is a sobering thought that if he had applied to Cambridge, he would have lost his place due to his grades (a*aa).

I am sorry, but I need to be harsh here, before you go and make a fool of yourself. You have done your research on the courses,and don’t like the Oxford one because of the lack of options. In that case, don’t apply! As for applying to only the most attractive colleges, they are so much more than lovely spaces. As my younger son said in his Oxford demystified chapter ( and he attended oriel). Most people like the idea of Oxford, but they don’t want to do the work that goes with those pretty quads.

Competition for the law course is overwhelming, so I would suggest you concentrate on the arduous task of getting in rather than criticising the place before you even apply. Plus the tutors are looking for someone who is “teachable” ie someone who respects their knowledge at interview and are willing to learn and take advice, rather than telling them what to do.
Reply 3
Original post by Oxford Mum
Competition for the law course is overwhelming, so I would suggest you concentrate on the arduous task of getting in rather than criticising the place before you even apply. Plus the tutors are looking for someone who is “teachable” ie someone who respects their knowledge at interview and are willing to learn and take advice, rather than telling them what to do.

1. I can do it, because the system is ‘archaic’ and needs to be modernised like Cambridge University. It will convince them perhaps to change the course, especially since more applicants are deterred from applying to Oxford University for Law and instead choose Cambridge University for Law.

2. I would not want Roman Law to be removed from the choices of papers offered at Oxford University as it is also a choice at Cambridge University.

3. It is true a significant number of Judges were educated at Oxbridge.

4. I never said Oxford University degree course papers were not rigorous. But they should offer more optional paper choices like Cambridge University.

5. I agree that Oxford University has a much more challenging curriculum than other universities. So, your elder son’s friend would not be surprised to see second year degree content of Oxford University in a Red Brick university Master’s degree course.

6. I know Oxford has just as a good reputation as Cambridge University for Law. It is quite clear how 25% of training contracts go to Oxford University graduates as so many others do the conversion course often with first class or very high upper second-class degrees.

7. Cambridge had 62% of it accepted intake achieve A*A*A or more in the recent year.

8. So, Oxford really should have A*AA as its standard entry requirement for Law.

9. Wow, many congratulations to your son for graduating at the top of his medical school class. I wonder what business he started? Has he quit the NHS due to dissatisfaction?

10. Yes, Cambridge has higher entry requirements for their degree courses than Oxford University yet they still receive a lot of A*AA and A*A*A applicants.

11. I am not making a fool of myself, as I am merely trying to ‘convince’ Oxford University to have exams in all years, so there can be 6 optional papers during the Law degree course at Oxford University.

12. I want to apply to Oxford, but I won’t have 6 optional papers like Cambridge University. Also, I have studied 5 A-Levels and will achieve predominantly A* grades. So, I know the value of hard work.

13. I will be applying for Oxford 1+1 BCL Law postgraduate degree and MBA 1 year degree. I am likely to ‘living’ in the Cambridge libraries and going to the gym. So, I will get a first-class honours degree when I graduate.

14. I am merely suggesting to the Law admissions tutors to implement a change similar to Cambridge University, so then students can study 6 optional papers instead 2 optional papers

15. Thank you for detailed reply Oxford Mum. But I love Oxford as much as Cambridge but will enjoy the course more at Cambridge. Nevertheless, the Oxford postgraduate BCL and MBA courses offered as part of Oxford 1+1 programme is likely to attract an application from me in the future.

Almost all the other degree courses have 4 or more exams in Year 1 and 4 to 6 papers in Year 2 and 8 papers in Year 3.

I would apply Post-graduate for the Oxford 1+1 degrees in the BCL and MBA. But the undergraduate course is simply better at Cambridge University.

So why can't Law at Oxford offer the same? :s-smilie:

Here is the Law offering modules at Oxford:

Year 1

Criminal law
Constitutional law
A Roman introduction to private law

Year 1 (Term 3) and Years 2 and 3

Tort law (Year 1 Term 3)

Year 2

Contract law
Trusts
Land law
Administrative law
Jurisprudence

Year 3

European Union law
Two optional subjects, chosen from a very wide range of options

There is simply not enough choice compared to other universities and especially compared to Cambridge University.

Because Cambridge University study 4 papers in Year 1 and then 5 in Year 2 and 5 in Year 3. Allowing optional choices of 6 papers!!! :biggrin:

Here is the Cambridge Law degree course choice of modules:

Year 1 (Part IA)

In the first year, you take four papers. In previous years, papers have included:

Civil Law I
Constitutional Law
Criminal Law
Law of Tort

Year 2 (Part IB)

In the second year, you choose five papers from a wide range of options, which may include:

Law of Contract
Land Law
Administrative Law
Civil Law II
Comparative Law
Criminal Procedure and Criminal Evidence
Criminology
Sentencing and the Penal System
Family Law
Human Rights Law
International Law
Jurisprudence
Legal History

Year 3 (Part II)

In the third year, you choose five papers, which may include two half-papers as one of your five options.
Full paper options may include:
Aspects of Obligations
Commercial Law
Company Law
Conflict of Laws
Intellectual Property Law
Labour Law
Equity
European Union Law

Examples of half-papers that may be on offer include:

Historical Foundations of the British Constitution
Landlord and Tenant Law
Law of Succession
Personal Information Law
Topics in Legal and Political Philosophy
Topics in European Legal History
Animal Rights Law

It is worth telling the Oxford admissions tutors they should reform their course as they're losing students to Cambridge University and they offer 6 optional papers instead of 2 optional papers.

I already have almost finished drafting the e-mail. :wink: lol
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
1. I can do it, because the system is ‘archaic’ and needs to be modernised like Cambridge University. It will convince them perhaps to change the course, especially since more applicants are deterred from applying to Oxford University for Law and instead choose Cambridge University for Law.

2. I would not want Roman Law to be removed from the choices of papers offered at Oxford University as it is also a choice at Cambridge University.

3. It is true a significant number of Judges were educated at Oxbridge.

4. I never said Oxford University degree course papers were not rigorous. But they should offer more optional paper choices like Cambridge University.

5. I agree that Oxford University has a much more challenging curriculum than other universities. So, your elder son’s friend would not be surprised to see second year degree content of Oxford University in a Red Brick university Master’s degree course.

6. I know Oxford has just as a good reputation as Cambridge University for Law. It is quite clear how 25% of training contracts go to Oxford University graduates as so many others do the conversion course often with first class or very high upper second-class degrees.

7. Cambridge had 62% of it accepted intake achieve A*A*A or more in the recent year.

8. So, Oxford really should have A*AA as its standard entry requirement for Law.

9. Wow, many congratulations to your son for graduating at the top of his medical school class. I wonder what business he started? Has he quit the NHS due to dissatisfaction?

10. Yes, Cambridge has higher entry requirements for their degree courses than Oxford University yet they still receive a lot of A*AA and A*A*A applicants.

11. I am not making a fool of myself, as I am merely trying to ‘convince’ Oxford University to have exams in all years, so there can be 6 optional papers during the Law degree course at Oxford University.

12. I want to apply to Oxford, but I won’t have 6 optional papers like Cambridge University. Also, I have studied 5 A-Levels and will achieve predominantly A* grades. So, I know the value of hard work.

13. I will be applying for Oxford 1+1 BCL Law postgraduate degree and MBA 1 year degree. I am likely to ‘living’ in the Cambridge libraries and going to the gym. So, I will get a first-class honours degree when I graduate.

14. I am merely suggesting to the Law admissions tutors to implement a change similar to Cambridge University, so then students can study 6 optional papers instead 2 optional papers

15. Thank you for detailed reply Oxford Mum. But I love Oxford as much as Cambridge but will enjoy the course more at Cambridge. Nevertheless, the Oxford postgraduate BCL and MBA courses offered as part of Oxford 1+1 programme is likely to attract an application from me in the future.

Almost all the other degree courses have 4 or more exams in Year 1 and 4 to 6 papers in Year 2 and 8 papers in Year 3.

I would apply Post-graduate for the Oxford 1+1 degrees in the BCL and MBA. But the undergraduate course is simply better at Cambridge University.

So why can't Law at Oxford offer the same? :s-smilie:

Here is the Law offering modules at Oxford:

Year 1

Criminal law
Constitutional law
A Roman introduction to private law

Year 1 (Term 3) and Years 2 and 3

Tort law (Year 1 Term 3)

Year 2

Contract law
Trusts
Land law
Administrative law
Jurisprudence

Year 3

European Union law
Two optional subjects, chosen from a very wide range of options

There is simply not enough choice compared to other universities and especially compared to Cambridge University.

Because Cambridge University study 4 papers in Year 1 and then 5 in Year 2 and 5 in Year 3. Allowing optional choices of 6 papers!!! :biggrin:

Here is the Cambridge Law degree course choice of modules:

Year 1 (Part IA)

In the first year, you take four papers. In previous years, papers have included:

Civil Law I
Constitutional Law
Criminal Law
Law of Tort

Year 2 (Part IB)

In the second year, you choose five papers from a wide range of options, which may include:

Law of Contract
Land Law
Administrative Law
Civil Law II
Comparative Law
Criminal Procedure and Criminal Evidence
Criminology
Sentencing and the Penal System
Family Law
Human Rights Law
International Law
Jurisprudence
Legal History

Year 3 (Part II)

In the third year, you choose five papers, which may include two half-papers as one of your five options.
Full paper options may include:
Aspects of Obligations
Commercial Law
Company Law
Conflict of Laws
Intellectual Property Law
Labour Law
Equity
European Union Law

Examples of half-papers that may be on offer include:

Historical Foundations of the British Constitution
Landlord and Tenant Law
Law of Succession
Personal Information Law
Topics in Legal and Political Philosophy
Topics in European Legal History
Animal Rights Law

It is worth telling the Oxford admissions tutors they should reform their course as they're losing students to Cambridge University and they offer 6 optional papers instead of 2 optional papers.

I already have almost finished drafting the e-mail. :wink: lol

Good luck trying to reform Oxford. As for Oxford law being an unpopular course, if only you could see the anguished pms I get from desperate people who are dying to get into Oxford law.

Tutors don’t like being told their courses are rubbish.

I went to a different university and once there, a handful of students decided that the course was old fashioned and they were going to rebel. They told the tutors exactly what they thought. They were furious, and in retaliation they made all our finals questions harder. Where there used to be a choice of questions there was only one. As one of my fellow students I was “robbed” of a 2:1. I do resent what that group of ( rather entitled) students did. And you are trying to do this before you apply to one of the most popular and oversubscribed courses in the country.

No, my son is not dissatisfied with hospital. He is just addicted to medical research and has been since he was 16.
Reply 5
Good luck trying to reform Oxford. As for Oxford law being an unpopular course, if only you could see the anguished pms I get from desperate people who are dying to get into Oxford law.

Tutors don’t like being told their courses are rubbish.

I went to a different university and once there, a handful of students decided that the course was old fashioned and they were going to rebel. They told the tutors exactly what they thought. They were furious, and in retaliation they made all our finals questions harder. Where there used to be a choice of questions there was only one. As one of my fellow students I was “robbed” of a 2:1. I do resent what that group of ( rather entitled) students did. And you are trying to do this before you apply to one of the most popular and oversubscribed courses in the country.

No, my son is not dissatisfied with hospital. He is just addicted to medical research and has been since he was 16.

1. I just want to study 6 optional subjects, rather than 2 optional subjects. Such as Taxation, Human Rights Law, Copyright, Trademarks & Allied Rights, Company Law, Employment Law and Family Law. It is only possible to study currently 6 optional papers at Cambridge University only.

Look here, how they offer so many optional papers? They can easily allow 6 optional papers in the overall degree if they reform?

2. Your son is blessed to be 'addicted' with medical research as he will work into his old age, as he might return to Oxford one day as Professor perhaps?! :smile: lol

3. WOW...I don't expect Oxford's Law department to make the exams less of a choice but to offer greater choices of optional modules.

4. I will be a candidate to appear on the front cover of the prospectus if I am offered a place and I am a well built muscular gym guy too. Also I am British-Pakistani and they're under represented at Oxbridge. So I would increase participation from Muslims too.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 6
1. I just want to study 6 optional subjects, rather than 2 optional subjects. Such as Taxation, Human Rights Law, Copyright, Trademarks & Allied Rights, Company Law, Employment Law and Family Law. It is only possible to study currently 6 optional papers at Cambridge University only.

Look here, how they offer so many optional papers? They can easily allow 6 optional papers in the overall degree if they reform?

2. Your son is blessed to be 'addicted' with medical research as he will work into his old age, as he might return to Oxford one day as Professor perhaps?! :smile: lol

3. WOW...I don't expect Oxford's Law department to make the exams less of a choice but to offer greater choices of optional modules.

4. I will be a candidate to appear on the front cover of the prospectus if I am offered a place and I am a well built muscular gym guy too. Also I am British-Pakistani and they're under represented at Oxbridge. So I would increase participation from Muslims too.

They will not take you because of your background. The only thing that matters to the tutors is your brain.

Ok but don’t say I didn’t warn you about your chosen choice of action
Oxford Law, or any course at any university, is NOT going to be the perfect fit for everyone. You may dislike the Oxford Law course, which is perfectly valid, but just because it isn't for you doesn't mean it should be changed. You can definitely not like the course, or point out its disadvantages, as after all it's not going to be 'perfect' (that would literally be impossible), but I don't see what you'd get out of asking them to change their entire structure. If you don't like it just don't apply imo.
Reply 8
They will not take you because of your background. The only thing that matters to the tutors is your brain.

Ok but don’t say I didn’t warn you about your chosen choice of action

Oxford admissions will be happier with more optional papers as they will become the number one course by a long mile compared to its rival Cambridge. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Labradoodle1
Oxford Law, or any course at any university, is NOT going to be the perfect fit for everyone. You may dislike the Oxford Law course, which is perfectly valid, but just because it isn't for you doesn't mean it should be changed. You can definitely not like the course, or point out its disadvantages, as after all it's not going to be 'perfect' (that would literally be impossible), but I don't see what you'd get out of asking them to change their entire structure. If you don't like it just don't apply imo.

Somebody has to be responsible for suggesting the offering of more optional papers in the Law degree course at Oxford. Because Cambridge offers a staggering 6 optional choices, compared to just 2 optional choices at Oxford. :smile:
Oxford admissions will be happier with more optional papers as they will become the number one course by a long mile compared to its rival Cambridge. :smile:

I doubt it would ever be a long mile, and I don't see what benefit this would give them. Both universities have more than enough exceptionally strong candidates (many of those exceptionally strong candidates getting rejected due to bad luck), and it's not like either of them are desperate to attract more.
this post has to be a troll or a joke. lmfao
"I have studied 5 A-Levels and will achieve predominantly A* grades"? "I will get a first-class honours degree when I graduate"? I admire your confidence...
idk why you're so desperate to have oxford have the same system as cambridge, each system has their strengths and weaknesses. those third year options at cambridge do not look fun lmao im glad i dont have to do ******* animal law or whatever. there are some compulsory modules that i do despise (**** admin law what a terrible subject) but im glad that being forced to do these compulsory modules gives me a more comprehensive understanding of the law as a whole (to a certain extent cause my degree is...going interestingly lol). and why do u even give a **** about the aaa requirement? wtf does that have to do with u? do u look down on ppl who got aaa or smth?
anyway i pray for your sake that you didn't actually send that email cause i feel like you're just wasting the faculty's time...
if nothing else glad i got to see this post. turns out tsr can be as entertaining as reddit in a pinch. good to know considering the protests over at reddit rn
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
"I have studied 5 A-Levels and will achieve predominantly A* grades"? "I will get a first-class honours degree when I graduate"? I admire your confidence...
idk why you're so desperate to have oxford have the same system as cambridge, each system has their strengths and weaknesses. those third year options at cambridge do not look fun lmao im glad i dont have to do ******* animal law or whatever. there are some compulsory modules that i do despise (**** admin law what a terrible subject) but im glad that being forced to do these compulsory modules gives me a more comprehensive understanding of the law as a whole (to a certain extent cause my degree is...going interestingly lol). and why do u even give a **** about the aaa requirement? wtf does that have to do with u? do u look down on ppl who got aaa or smth?
anyway i pray for your sake that you didn't actually send that email cause i feel like you're just wasting the faculty's time...
if nothing else glad i got to see this post. turns out tsr can be as entertaining as reddit in a pinch. good to know considering the protests over at reddit rn

1. This is not a joke, it is a very serious matter. I already have the eBooks for most of the Law papers and will not have any difficulty studying whilst doing the Law degree. :biggrin:

2. I already did A-Levels more than a decade ago and had problems beyond my control and a bad Sixth Form experience. But now I can choose to do Maths, Further Maths, German, French and Spanish and I enjoy languages much more than sciences, as well as the format of languages only having one huge 2 hour 30 mins exam and 2 x 300 word essays for 2 hours and the speaking exam is worth 30% of the overall grade, which makes or breaks the difference between an A*, A or B grade. :wink: lol

3. Oxford only offers 2 optional papers. My other choices such as LSE, UCL, KCL and SOAS offer 4 or 5 optional papers. Which is 2 or 3 more than Oxford University. So Oxford must increase their optional papers.

4. AAA is low for the entry to Oxford, and should really be A*AA, also 62% of Cambridge accepted candidates in 2022 October had achieved A*A*A at least. Similarly, so many candidates who are successful at Oxford, achieve A*A*A or A*A*A* or more. So clearly they should raise the entry requirement to A*AA.

5. I have to be the one to bring 'change' and reform to Oxford University Law degree's optional papers. Because simply it is not good enough to have just 2 optional papers.

6. Animal Law is not a popular option, but Cambridge has a specialist centre based in Cambridge, that's why it is a HALF PAPER option.

7. Administrative Law is a compulsory paper at Oxford University, whereas at Cambridge University it is optional. :smile: lol

8. I am happy to go to any of Cambridge, LSE, UCL, KCL or SOAS. For Postgraduate applications, I will apply to Oxford University for the "Oxford 1+1 programme: BCL and MBA" :wink:
(edited 10 months ago)
I’m sorry but why must u be the one to “bring change and reform”? what makes u so special? why do u think u know better? u don’t even plan to come here for undergrad so why do u care?
1. This is not a joke, it is a very serious matter. I already have the eBooks for most of the Law papers and will not have any difficulty studying whilst doing the Law degree. :biggrin:

2. I already did A-Levels more than a decade ago and had problems beyond my control and a bad Sixth Form experience. But now I can choose to do Maths, Further Maths, German, French and Spanish and I enjoy languages much more than sciences, as well as the format of languages only having one huge 2 hour 30 mins exam and 2 x 300 word essays for 2 hours and the speaking exam is worth 30% of the overall grade, which makes or breaks the difference between an A*, A or B grade. :wink: lol

3. Oxford only offers 2 optional papers. My other choices such as LSE, UCL, KCL and SOAS offer 4 or 5 optional papers. Which is 2 or 3 more than Oxford University. So Oxford must increase their optional papers.

4. AAA is low for the entry to Oxford, and should really be A*AA, also 62% of Cambridge accepted candidates in 2022 October had achieved A*A*A at least. Similarly, so many candidates who are successful at Oxford, achieve A*A*A or A*A*A* or more. So clearly they should raise the entry requirement to A*AA.

5. I have to be the one to bring 'change' and reform to Oxford University Law degree's optional papers. Because simply it is not good enough to have just 2 optional papers.

6. Animal Law is not a popular option, but Cambridge has a specialist centre based in Cambridge, that's why it is a HALF PAPER option.

7. Administrative Law is a compulsory paper at Oxford University, whereas at Cambridge University it is optional. :smile: lol

8. I am happy to go to any of Cambridge, LSE, UCL, KCL or SOAS. For Postgraduate applications, I will apply to Oxford University for the "Oxford 1+1 programme: BCL and MBA" :wink:

1. Bold of you to assume that getting a first class degree in Law at any university will be a walk in the park, let alone at Cambridge/ LSE/ UCL/ KCL/ SOAS. Also, bold of you to assume that you'll be admitted to the BCL and MBA. You do realise that at most universities (excepting Oxford and Cambridge), you wouldn't just need a first, you'd need a very strong/ top first?

2. By all means go ahead and email the Oxford law faculty and tell them they should offer more optional papers, but good luck at trying to convince professors who have been teaching longer than the average student has been alive that you know better than them. I personally would have preferred it, but I highly doubt they'll change (and I can see the synergies between the compulsory papers, even if I disliked some of them). If you want to take more options, you'd be better off going elsewhere rather than hoping that Oxford will change its syllabus. Also, arrogance and thinking that you're better than the professors is not something that would endear a candidate to them - it suggests that one will not be teachable. Don't forget that the tutors actually have to teach the candidates they end up admitting, so they have every incentive to pick people who they think they will like to teach.

3. A level grades are not the be all and end all. If I had to hazard a guess, the Law tutors have probably looked at the correlation between A level grades and Mods/ FHS classifications, and decided that AAA students perform well enough to justify leaving the cut-off as is. Oxford has had years to consider raising the admissions bar (and has done so for other subjects, so clearly this is not some alien concept). If the Law tutors really wanted to or thought it was warranted they would have done so by now.
Original post by Anonymous

Top post.

What have you done in the ten years since a levels? You will have to prove to the tutors that you have spent the time productively.
Reply 17
Original post by mishieru07
1. Bold of you to assume that getting a first class degree in Law at any university will be a walk in the park, let alone at Cambridge/ LSE/ UCL/ KCL/ SOAS. Also, bold of you to assume that you'll be admitted to the BCL and MBA. You do realise that at most universities (excepting Oxford and Cambridge), you wouldn't just need a first, you'd need a very strong/ top first?

2. By all means go ahead and email the Oxford law faculty and tell them they should offer more optional papers, but good luck at trying to convince professors who have been teaching longer than the average student has been alive that you know better than them. I personally would have preferred it, but I highly doubt they'll change (and I can see the synergies between the compulsory papers, even if I disliked some of them). If you want to take more options, you'd be better off going elsewhere rather than hoping that Oxford will change its syllabus. Also, arrogance and thinking that you're better than the professors is not something that would endear a candidate to them - it suggests that one will not be teachable. Don't forget that the tutors actually have to teach the candidates they end up admitting, so they have every incentive to pick people who they think they will like to teach.

3. A level grades are not the be all and end all. If I had to hazard a guess, the Law tutors have probably looked at the correlation between A level grades and Mods/ FHS classifications, and decided that AAA students perform well enough to justify leaving the cut-off as is. Oxford has had years to consider raising the admissions bar (and has done so for other subjects, so clearly this is not some alien concept). If the Law tutors really wanted to or thought it was warranted they would have done so by now.

1. I never assumed it will be a walk in the park. But I have already got all the eBooks of the textbooks for Law. I have read a fair few already too and it was easy to comprehend the content as well as enjoyable. :smile: Also, I will spend most of my time as a mature student in the libraries of Cambridge or London universities and the gym. So I will have enough time to do the extra reading and preparation for first class essays and exams. Before I start a Law degree, I will have already read all the core textbooks. So I will be in a good stead to achieve a top 5 or top perhaps top 10 in my cohort year of Law school. I know Cambridge and Oxford only accept the very best, and looking at the BCL profiles: https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/2022-10/134227_faculty_of_law_-_bclmjur_class_web_version_v3.pdf most are from Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, KCL, SOAS, Nottingham, Lancaster and Exeter.

2. I don't have any grudge against any Professor at Oxford University. lol :smile: I only want Oxford University Law department to offer 6 optional paper choices like Cambridge University, because Oxford is a beautiful place with a prestigious Law degree that produces top barristers and solicitors and others too.

3. Arrogance is a major sin in Islam. I pray as often as I can and worship God Allah almighty and my prayers are often answered. I would not deem myself to know better than the Professors ever. All I want is more optional papers in the Law degree at Oxford University. :wink:

4. But given the fact that Cambridge, LSE, UCL, KCL and SOAS ask for A*AA and Oxford only AAA is not quite right; as well as over 40% of candidates admitted to Oxford University Law degree are A*A*A* candidates and another 30% are A*A*A and the rest of the 25% are A*AA and less than 5% AAA, they really should increase their entry requirements so they can interview more candidates. Currently they shortlist based on GCSE grades, A-Level predicted grades, Interview performances, LNAT score and references as well as UCAS Personal Statement.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 18
What have you done in the ten years since a levels? You will have to prove to the tutors that you have spent the time productively.

My UCAS Personal Statement will be outstanding but you will understand more about my court case (it was ABH/Theft of a mobile phone, against me), I was left highly traumatised. But when I meet you in one of Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, KCL or SOAS you will understand. :frown: :smile: I have also seen a 'vivid' dream, like a video being played in my dream with my old Headmaster say: "Many Congratulations in getting into Oxbridge." But I don't know whether it was Oxford or Cambridge. :s-smilie:
(edited 10 months ago)
This is so funny. Why don’t you just apply to Cambridge then since they have more optional modules or whatever? Sorry to burst your bubble but Oxford isn’t going to listen to you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending