The Student Room Group

Oxford vs Cambridge for Classics

I’m predicted A*A*A (English Lit, Classical Civ, Art and Design) and have never studied Latin or Greek. I don’t care about the Cambridge course being 4 years as I’m born in July so I’m younger than most people in my year group anyway. I don’t like philosophy that much, which is a core module in the Oxford course, and I’m not so interested in learning Latin, which is compulsory in the Cambridge course. I live in the North so both are far, but what would you say is the ‘better’ course?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m predicted A*A*A (English Lit, Classical Civ, Art and Design) and have never studied Latin or Greek. I don’t care about the Cambridge course being 4 years as I’m born in July so I’m younger than most people in my year group anyway. I don’t like philosophy that much, which is a core module in the Oxford course, and I’m not so interested in learning Latin, which is compulsory in the Cambridge course. I live in the North so both are far, but what would you say is the ‘better’ course?

Can you avoid learning Latin at Oxford?
Reply 2
Yes, at Oxford you can choose to only study Greek. I'm a current Classics student @ Ox so obviously only have experience of that. However, as I understand it, there is a greater element of prepared set text for the Oxford course compared to the Cambridge course (e.g. the 2nd year Iliad module at Cambridge has much less translation compared to Mods at Oxford - though the Oxford mods format will be changing by the time you arrive!).

I would suggest closely looking at the course papers. The Oxford Finals/Greats (final exams) papers are generally more structured around an author, genre, or time period, e.g. '146-46 BC', 'didactic', or 'Hellenistic Art and Archaeology'. There is only one Reception paper available for finals at Oxford. The Cambridge papers - as far as I remember and can see on the website - seem a bit more thematic e.g. 'slavery in the Greek and Roman World', 'Classics Live', 'Visual Narratives'. You also have a bit more flexibility with the Tripos system I believe.

Cambridge current modules: https://www.classics.cam.ac.uk/student-information/undergraduate-students
Oxford current modules (Mods is changing soon, probably by the time you would arrive): https://www.classics.ox.ac.uk/classics

However, everyone at Oxford does a 4 year course if it appeals to you to be in the same cohort as everyone those you started with.

Basically, both are really good courses, very well-respected for Classics, just a little different in their approach. Don't know if that helps at all, but happy to answer any questions about Oxford. You might also want to think about whether you prefer Oxford or Cambridge as a place to live!
Reply 3
Original post by elilast
Yes, at Oxford you can choose to only study Greek. I'm a current Classics student @ Ox so obviously only have experience of that. However, as I understand it, there is a greater element of prepared set text for the Oxford course compared to the Cambridge course (e.g. the 2nd year Iliad module at Cambridge has much less translation compared to Mods at Oxford - though the Oxford mods format will be changing by the time you arrive!).

I would suggest closely looking at the course papers. The Oxford Finals/Greats (final exams) papers are generally more structured around an author, genre, or time period, e.g. '146-46 BC', 'didactic', or 'Hellenistic Art and Archaeology'. There is only one Reception paper available for finals at Oxford. The Cambridge papers - as far as I remember and can see on the website - seem a bit more thematic e.g. 'slavery in the Greek and Roman World', 'Classics Live', 'Visual Narratives'. You also have a bit more flexibility with the Tripos system I believe.

Cambridge current modules: https://www.classics.cam.ac.uk/student-information/undergraduate-students
Oxford current modules (Mods is changing soon, probably by the time you would arrive): https://www.classics.ox.ac.uk/classics

However, everyone at Oxford does a 4 year course if it appeals to you to be in the same cohort as everyone those you started with.

Basically, both are really good courses, very well-respected for Classics, just a little different in their approach. Don't know if that helps at all, but happy to answer any questions about Oxford. You might also want to think about whether you prefer Oxford or Cambridge as a place to live!

What were your GCSE grades like? 11A*? :biggrin: lol

What subjects did you do for A-Level? Did you get 3 A* grades? :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by elilast

Hi,

Where can I find information on the mods changes and do you know when they start? Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

Where can I find information on the mods changes and do you know when they start? Thanks

Hi, I'm afraid there isn't any final information available publicly right now - sorry! But they should advertise it for applicants well before applying - I'd imagine it will in place for those applying in the 2024-5 UCAS cycle (for 2025 entry) though not completely sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending