The Student Room Group
Reply 1
S1 if you like trees; you draw a lot of tree (diagrams).

D1 if you like postmen; I don't but he's Chinese. :love:

M1 if you like people running; you get to calculate his speed AND how grippy his shoes are.

:eek4:

Srsly though, read some specs mate, what exam board are you? :smile:
Reply 2
I haven't done any Decision modules, so bearing that in mind I would say that S1 and S2 is the easiest combination.
Reply 3
S1 and M1 are easy enough. S2 is that hard either. Just depends on which you prefer. Stats or mechanics.
Do you have to pick now or can you wait until next year to choose the second module?
There's not a huge difference in difficulty between your two options so just pick the ones you find more interesting.
M1 if you do physics. D1 if you do Computing, otherwise just take S1.
Reply 6
M1: vectors are smexy. That said, if you enjoy alphabetizing names, do D1.
Reply 7
I did M1 last year and it is quite different to the other maths modules, makes quite a nice change. im doing S1 trhis year (Final Year) which i find quite boring. but im doing D1 in Further Maths, which is seriously easy, got my exam tomorrow and it will be the easiest exam i have this year. M1 and D1 would be myt choices. D1 doesnt require to much outside knowledge either.
Reply 8
s1 and m1
do NOT do D1, it is god awful.
its not difficult its just so so boring its quite difficult to do well on it.
m1 is fun (:
S1 was easy (permutations and combinations and probability threw some people a bit), mainly just learning formulas and how to draw graphs. I liked the probability but the rest was a bit boring; I did GCSE stats as well and about half of S1 is a copy of that. Think cumulative frequency graphs, box and whisker diagrams, histograms, etc.
M1 is probably the hardest out of the M1, S1, D1 but it is my favourite; it can take some time to click if you don't take physics, but once it has clicked you will be fine. If you do take physics it is v. easy.
D1 gets a very bad press for being boring and not real maths, however most of it is quite easy, again just memorising certain algorithms. Not a huge amount of thinking involved, and not that hard to do well on as long as you remember everything. I quite enjoyed it, it was a nice introduction to A level maths and it wasn't difficult at all.
S2 is an A2 module and therefore is that bit harder. I did it in Year 12 and definitely found it more difficult than my other modules. It is much more complicated than S1, and it didn't ever really click for me. If you enjoy statistics though, it is interesting and people who didn't do physics generally preferred it to mechanics. A lot of looking up values in tables and it is very easy to make silly mistakes.

I have done all four modules and in order of preference they went:
M1(best) D1 S1 S2(worst)
In order of difficulty they went:
S1(easiest) D1 M1 S2
(I do physics and further maths)

I wouldn't do S2 unless you really like statistics, you might as well do another AS module rather than an A2 module.
I think your best bet would be either M1 and S1 or S1 and D1.
:smile:
Reply 12
studentjohn
I know for Maths C1-4 are compulsary. But my college allows us to pick the last two units. I don't know which one I should pick.

Should I do S1 and S2 ?

Or a combination S1 and M1?

I really have no idea which two to choose. Tell me which ones you did or which ones I should do and why.

Thanks

M1 and S1. Easy Peasy.
Reply 13
In my opinion...do D1 and S1...I did D1, S1, S2 and M1 in this current January exams...and I fel D1 the easiest, followed by S1 then S2 and M1 was the hardest for me!
M1 and S1/D1. M1's amazing. :awesome:

Latest