WJEC Biology Exam BY1 11th Jauary 2011

Anyone looking forward to it?
Have you all revised?
Anddd any oe know from their teachers what might or what is highly
likely to come up on the paper?

GOOD LUCK!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ha looking forward to it no. i think i have revised as much as i can just marking some old questions now to learn from my mistakes. I don't like it when they give weird random questions.
no no idea what will come up there has only been a couple of pass papers on this exact syllabus so i think its difficult to predict.
what about you hows youre revision going .
any other exams this week?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
I did this today.

Annoyed because I couldn't remember a function of magnesium (it's a constituent of chlorophyll).

Also, very angry because I chose the inhibitors question, but I wrote it as if the inhibitors bind to the substrate, not realising that they bind to the enzyme. I wasn't sure, because I know that non-competitive inhibitors are said to distort the active site of a protein by breaking the hydrogen and ionic bonds, and the disulphide bridges, which suggests that they bind to the enzymes, but I wasn't sure if enzymes would have more than one active site...
Oh well. Hopefully they'll still mark the good points I made, and not penalise me too much for such a big mistake!

A lot of my answers were sketchy too, like suggest why there was a range in the salt concentration that causes red blood cells to burst, my answers to the cell cycle questions, and suggesting another controlled variable for the root cell question.
Original post by AnonyMatt
I did this today.

Annoyed because I couldn't remember a function of magnesium (it's a constituent of chlorophyll).

Also, very angry because I chose the inhibitors question, but I wrote it as if the inhibitors bind to the substrate, not realising that they bind to the enzyme. I wasn't sure, because I know that non-competitive inhibitors are said to distort the active site of a protein by breaking the hydrogen and ionic bonds, and the disulphide bridges, which suggests that they bind to the enzymes, but I wasn't sure if enzymes would have more than one active site...
Oh well. Hopefully they'll still mark the good points I made, and not penalise me too much for such a big mistake!

A lot of my answers were sketchy too, like suggest why there was a range in the salt concentration that causes red blood cells to burst, my answers to the cell cycle questions, and suggesting another controlled variable for the root cell question.

That paper today was a god send. So Easy :biggrin: I Smell 110+ marks for me :colone:
The only one i think i mixed up was the mitosis/meiosis tick box one i could never remember which was witch for haploid and diploid.

I choose the inhibitors essay question too! I remember reading the mark scheme for it and i remember that to get full marks you had to mention End Product Inhibition alongside competitive/non-competative.

What did you make of the paper overall?
Reply 4
Original post by planetconwy1
That paper today was a god send. So Easy :biggrin: I Smell 110+ marks for me :colone:
The only one i think i mixed up was the mitosis/meiosis tick box one i could never remember which was witch for haploid and diploid.

I choose the inhibitors essay question too! I remember reading the mark scheme for it and i remember that to get full marks you had to mention End Product Inhibition alongside competitive/non-competative.

What did you make of the paper overall?

Wouldnt be too confident tho.

Was wondering, you know the oxygen concentration/ pottasium ion one.
What was it all about?
Original post by tom108
Wouldnt be too confident tho.

Was wondering, you know the oxygen concentration/ pottasium ion one.
What was it all about?

Uptake was active transport. And also a small amount of diffusion. Temperature needed to be kept constant which would affect rate. When cyanide was added all the values dropped to 7 because active transport stopped but diffusion remains unaffected.
Reply 6
It wasn't too bad. Quite an easy paper really, but not one that suited me particularly well. It seemed to be all the things I'd revised least.:s-smilie:

That said, I finished really early and ended up doing nothing for at least half an hour. It wasn't a very long paper.

The potassium ions/root cells question was the worst one for me. Although I did put Active Transport down.

The drawing of the chromosome threw me a bit too. I didn't know what to label. And did anyone think that the table about DNA was awfully small? I put deoxyribose as an answer, and it was a struggle fitting it in. I have comparatively small writing too!

planetconwy1
When cyanide was added all the values dropped to 7 because active transport stopped but diffusion remains unaffected.

Gragh I forgot about the diffusion! I said some really vague thing about all the values decreasing. Then I wrote "I think, anyway..." after my answer.:redface:

I did the inhibitors question. Looking back I think I should've done water. I'm worried I didn't get all the marks I could have.:frown:

Does anyone have an estimate about the amount or raw marks you usually need for a A, B etc .. in these exams? I'd like to have some idea of how I did. =S
Original post by Dusty12
It wasn't too bad. Quite an easy paper really, but not one that suited me particularly well. It seemed to be all the things I'd revised least.:s-smilie:

That said, I finished really early and ended up doing nothing for at least half an hour. It wasn't a very long paper.

The potassium ions/root cells question was the worst one for me. Although I did put Active Transport down.

The drawing of the chromosome threw me a bit too. I didn't know what to label. And did anyone think that the table about DNA was awfully small? I put deoxyribose as an answer, and it was a struggle fitting it in. I have comparatively small writing too!

Gragh I forgot about the diffusion! I said some really vague thing about all the values decreasing. Then I wrote "I think, anyway..." after my answer.:redface:

I did the inhibitors question. Looking back I think I should've done water. I'm worried I didn't get all the marks I could have.:frown:

Does anyone have an estimate about the amount or raw marks you usually need for a A, B etc .. in these exams? I'd like to have some idea of how I did. =S

Nice to see someone else who shares my views!!! :smile:

That box was ridiculously small to write deoxyribose in, tut tut WJEC!
Yeah you can tell that the potassium ion question was a really high level question, I cant see many people gaining full marks on that!
Not such a good idea to write "I think anyway" after your answer lol. Might leave the marker thinking your not sure what your talking about :tongue:
The Inhibitor question seemed alright Ive got the mark scheme for that question if you want? it was on the January 2006 paper.

About the Grades, after reading the examiner reports I think A 52 B 46 C 40 D 34 E 30 because some questions were really easy. :biggrin:
Reply 8
Nice to see someone else who shares my views!!! :smile:

That box was ridiculously small to write deoxyribose in, tut tut WJEC!
Yeah you can tell that the potassium ion question was a really high level question, I cant see many people gaining full marks on that!
Not such a good idea to write "I think anyway" after your answer lol. Might leave the marker thinking your not sure what your talking about :tongue:
The Inhibitor question seemed alright Ive got the mark scheme for that question if you want? it was on the January 2006 paper.

About the Grades, after reading the examiner reports I think A 52 B 46 C 40 D 34 E 30 because some questions were really easy. :biggrin:

Likewise. I reread the question, like, five times to check we were actually supposed to write stuff in those minuscule boxes!

Well, I wasn't sure what I was talking about! :tongue:
Yeah, I have a problem with the tone I adopt in exams. It's too conversational and, at times, sarcastic. I fear that one day the examiner will get annoyed with me. :L

Was it the exact same question? I'd love to see the markscheme if you have it. Although i'll probably just depress myself seeing all the stuff I forgot to say.:redface:

bout the Grades, after reading the examiner reports I think A 52 B 46 C 40 D 34 E 30 because some questions were really easy.

Out of 70, was it? Oh good. Optimistically I have an A then. Unless I've made stupid mistakes(as usual..) then I reckon I've got at least a B if your predictions are accurate. I don't think I dropped more than 15 marks. Hopefully. I counted about 10-ish that I thought I'd lost, but that was counting almost the entire ion question.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Uptake was active transport. And also a small amount of diffusion. Temperature needed to be kept constant which would affect rate. When cyanide was added all the values dropped to 7 because active transport stopped but diffusion remains unaffected.

yey exactly what i put.
i thout the paper was good but wouldnt say great
i chose the waster essay as i revised that just before the exam so quite confident on the water bit :smile:
i
Reply 10
Original post by Dusty12

YES agree that table was way too small ! at first i thought i had to put ticks cause it was so small but i put the right stuff in the end- at a squeeze!
And i also found the paper realllllllly short had an hour left to do the essay. then had 40 minutes looking over and being bored.
For the chromosome question did people put 1 single chromosome i.e 2 cromatids linked by something similar to 'centromer' (the welsh word for it ) ? Did you draw a picture of the cell membrane to show the chromosome is free in the cytoplasm.
Reply 11
i think A might be 55 anyone agree?
Original post by Dusty12
Likewise. I reread the question, like, five times to check we were actually supposed to write stuff in those minuscule boxes!

Well, I wasn't sure what I was talking about! :tongue:
Yeah, I have a problem with the tone I adopt in exams. It's too conversational and, at times, sarcastic. I fear that one day the examiner will get annoyed with me. :L

Was it the exact same question? I'd love to see the markscheme if you have it. Although i'll probably just depress myself seeing all the stuff I forgot to say.:redface:

Out of 70, was it? Oh good. Optimistically I have an A then. Unless I've made stupid mistakes(as usual..) then I reckon I've got at least a B. I don't think I dropped more than 15 marks. Hopefully.

Haha i do the same, I try and be really smug with them, some times it worked and other times I think they purposely mark me down because of it haha :redface: like in that exam question I wrote that an example of a non-competitive inhibitor was Cyanide which inhibits the enzyme Cytochrome C Oxidase in the Electron Transport Chain. Which i put in just for fun to try and impress them :tongue:

Il Write out the Mark Scheme Below:
A-Definition of inhibition, Slowing or stopping of an Enzymes action by another substance.
B-In competitive inhibition, molecule combines with active site.
C-Becuase molecule with similar shape to the substrate.
D-Level of inhibition depends on relative inhibitor to substrate concentrations. :mad: didnt get that one :frown:
E-End Product Inhibition, Negative Feedback System
F-Non-Competative Inhibitors bind with enzyme at location other than active site (Allosteric Site)
G-This distorts the shape of the enzyme protein causing alteration to the active site
H-Which prevents Enzyme Substrate Complexes Forming
I-Enzyme Molecule may be permanently damaged.
(7 Marks)
Enzymes one:
A- Can be reused
B-Do not contaminate product
C-Added removed easily/so easy to control rate of reaction
D- Withstanding high pH and Temp ect.
There are loads for that one you could have given
E-
Reply 13
Original post by rsp
YES agree that table was way too small ! at first i thought i had to put ticks cause it was so small but i put the right stuff in the end- at a squeeze!
And i also found the paper realllllllly short had an hour left to do the essay. then had 40 minutes looking over and being bored.
For the chromosome question did people put 1 single chromosome i.e 2 cromatids linked by something similar to 'centromer' (the welsh word for it ) ? Did you draw a picture of the cell membrane to show the chromosome is free in the cytoplasm.

Yeah exactly! Maybe the economic situation is adversely affecting WJEC and they don't want to use up ink printing bigger tables.:tongue:
I just drew the X-shaped thing by itself and a centromere. I didn't label the chromatids though, so I think I won't have got both marks.:s
You do Biol. in Welsh then? It's strange, my school is Welsh-medium, but not a single person in my Biology class does it through Welsh. I would've, but I didn't want to be the only one. :L

Seems reasonable. I wouldn't be surprised. Fingers crossed I'll have just above that.
Original post by rsp

Yeah maybe, i counted id got 64/70 so im hoping for 100+ :biggrin:
about that other question (Active Transport) Im really pleased someone else put those values, because its logical.
Original post by Dusty12
Yeah exactly! Maybe the economic situation is adversely affecting WJEC and they don't want to use up ink printing bigger tables.:tongue:
I just drew the X-shaped thing by itself and a centromere. I didn't label the chromatids though, so I think I won't have got both marks.:s
You do Biol. in Welsh then? It's strange, my school is Welsh-medium, but not a single person in my Biology class does it through Welsh. I would've, but I didn't want to be the only one. :L

Seems reasonable. I wouldn't be surprised. Fingers crossed I'll have just above that.

haha WJEC are so stingy when it comes to money they even make us pay for mark schemes! :eek:
Reply 16
Original post by Dusty12

Ha like youre reasoning for the table, wanted to give rep but run out for today :frown:
Ye i do biology in welsh, popeth yn cymraeg ! And its a must not a choice, so even maths, chemistry is in welsh, but you get the english paper to look at aswell:smile:
Ye i think i calculated i lost 6 marks so plus 5 for stupid mistakes about 11 marks lost so = 59 so hopefully ive got an A:smile:

in the table of inorganic ions did people jsut basically say where the ion was found?
'Explain why the relative amount of adenine is almost the same as the relative amount of thymine in each source' (one with table of data) (3 marks)
i put because they connect blah di blah but what else???
Also why do liver have a large number of mitochondria
Reply 17
Original post by rsp
in the table of inorganic ions did people jsut basically say where the ion was found?
'Explain why the relative amount of adenine is almost the same as the relative amount of thymine in each source' (one with table of data) (3 marks)
i put because they connect blah di blah but what else???
Also why do liver have a large number of mitochondria

I put:
Mg - A constituent of chlorophyll in plants
Ca- For strong bones and teeth
Iron - In haemoglobin in blood.
Phosphate - Found in nucleic acids.

Yeah, I said that Adenine and Thymine pair. I forgot to mention Purines/pyrimidines though, which I feel was probably part of the [3] marks.

For the mitochondria question, I said "Because of the high metabolic activity that takes place in the liver" or summin like that.
Reply 18
Original post by Dusty12
I put:
Mg - A constituent of chlorophyll in plants
Ca- For strong bones and teeth
Iron - In haemoglobin in blood.
Phosphate - Found in nucleic acids.

Yeah, I said that Adenine and Thymine pair. I forgot to mention Purines/pyrimidines though, which I feel was probably part of the [3] marks.

For the mitochondria question, I said "Because of the high metabolic activity that takes place in the liver" or summin like that.

ok thankx, for the table youre awnsers seem very good i only put mg is in chlorophyll, Ca in bones and teeth (i was going to put strong then thought it was wrong :frown: . Same for Iron. Phosphate in cell membranes and in teeth. i probably lost a few marks there

ooo good awner - 'metabolic activity'. i put becasue cells damage easily need protein so need atp so need mitocondria :frown: and uses a lot of energy blah di blah .
Reply 19
Good paper, IMO. Probably dropped 5-10 marks, but confident of an A after today. No question really threw me, although question 7 regarding the base pairings was a tricky one. So glad Water came up ^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending