The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Lily Academia
:frown: Nasty, evil serving sizes. Gacve me a horrible Good-God-Surely-I'll-Get-Fat moment last week; I weighed my average bowl of cereal for breakfast and it came in at 60g... Twice the reccomended portion size...

Add that to the fact I also tend to eat an apple, toast, any stray biscuits lying around, and drink at least two cups of tea....

Well. It all turns out to be a pretty calorific breakfast. :redface:

(... This still doesn't explained why I've stayed stubbornly under 100lbs at 5'6" for over two years -.-)

You're a wee wafer thin, darlink! But then again, I'm 5'7ish and less than 100, so "Glass Houses" an' all that..:colondollar:
Reply 21
I'll have what I deem to be healthy.
It's worked so far - I've not ballooned at uni at all.
Original post by TotoMimo

You're a wee wafer thin, darlink! But then again, I'm 5'7ish and less than 100, so "Glass Houses" an' all that..:colondollar:

Sometimes being skinny can suck.

I've got bad blood circulation on top of that and (as you might already know) bad blood circulation + low percentage of body fat = freezing All. The. Time. (as I type this my hands are blue; our central heating has decided to die! :tongue:) As long as you eat enough, I don't see why people should be so antagonistic towards your figure :s The amount of times I've hear 'You're so skinny' is maddening.

Yes. I know. I'm just stuck like this! :P

And 5'7"? :O My dream height! :smile: I've been willing myself for ages to just grow another inch... but alas, thus far attempts have been futile!

Will go and make a double-sized reccomendation of pasta now. Honestly. 75g per person? Who are they kidding... *mutters*
Reply 23
Original post by Lily Academia
Sometimes being skinny can suck.

I've got bad blood circulation on top of that and (as you might already know) bad blood circulation + low percentage of body fat = freezing All. The. Time. (as I type this my hands are blue; our central heating has decided to die! :tongue:) As long as you eat enough, I don't see why people should be so antagonistic towards your figure :s The amount of times I've hear 'You're so skinny' is maddening.

Yes. I know. I'm just stuck like this! :P

And 5'7"? :O My dream height! :smile: I've been willing myself for ages to just grow another inch... but alas, thus far attempts have been futile!

Will go and make a double-sized reccomendation of pasta now. Honestly. 75g per person? Who are they kidding... *mutters*

Problem is... I'm a dude :frown: I should be BEEFCAAKE!

Anyway, a work colleague just commented that he read that those big bags of Kettle Chips you get?

A "serving" of those is 9 crisps. NINE! (30g). A regular sized bag comes in at 40g, meaning it contains one and a quarter regular servings - one and a quarter, what the eff.

Problem is... I'm a dude :frown: I should be BEEFCAAKE!

Anyway, a work colleague just commented that he read that those big bags of Kettle Chips you get?

A "serving" of those is 9 crisps. NINE! (30g). A regular sized bag comes in at 40g, meaning it contains one and a quarter regular servings - one and a quarter, what the eff.

Aw, if you're a guy at least you haven't got envious girls giving you evils! Besides, all the skinny boys end up being nice and lean when they grow older as opposed to going from beefy --> fat :tongue:

And those CRISPS! My friend brought in a packet today, and I easily ate nine of them! :redface:

Honestly, no wonder half of the nation's obese!
Reply 25
I never knew so many people actually count the quantity of stuff they eat every day. Something new I learned in this thread. :redface:
Reply 26
You shouldn't really take notice of the rda imo. Just try to eat real, healthy food; eat a ****load of vegetables, get some good fats and protein in and limit sugar (including fruit). The 120g rda of sugar is outrageous tbh.
Haha you see we anorexics have known about how small these portion sizes are for a while now :u:

When it says on the front of a box of Special K 107 calories, you immediately think...yay! But weigh out 30g and you may as well go eat a bowl of air.
Reply 28
Allow that! I'll have my bowl full of crunchy nut!

I remember years ago when i noticed the normal Coke had around 30% of you daily sugar intake so i thought that wasn't too bad. After a full 2L bottle over the course of a day i saw that was 30% per 250ml. I guess my blood was around 99% sugar on that day.
I actually normally follow the serving guides; I half everything and measure everything. Even the other day I had to get the scales out to measure something like '100g' of frozen chips, because that's the amount it listed on the packet.

You won't starve, you just think you will. But then, I'm the person who uses a calculator in the supermarket to work out calorie contents per day (680 for today if you're so interested.) :rolleyes:

Edit: Not that I mind, but aren't people bored of negging this?
(edited 13 years ago)
Soup is awful as well. Who the hell has half a tin of soup :rolleyes:
Reply 31
Original post by hareandhound
Soup is awful as well. Who the hell has half a tin of soup :rolleyes:

I do actually :o: A whole tin seems way too much! Do you eat a whole tin of beans too? My brother does :P

Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
You won't starve, you just think you will. But then, I'm the person who uses a calculator in the supermarket to work out calorie contents per day (680 for today if you're so interested.) :rolleyes:

Wtf aren't you starving eating so little? :o:
Original post by ily_em
I do actually :o: A whole tin seems way too much! Do you eat a whole tin of beans too? My brother does :P

I probably eat about a 5th of a tin of beans at one time :P If I'm ever back at home my parents have a go at me for opening a tin and not eating that much of it.

I also usually buy the smaller tins of soup (I think they are 100g less than the average one).

I find that eating 2500 is way too much... I don't really know what that's the recommended amount for a male. I only consume about 1400 a day.
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
I actually normally follow the serving guides; I half everything and measure everything. Even the other day I had to get the scales out to measure something like '100g' of frozen chips, because that's the amount it listed on the packet.

Oh, and if people want crisps, they sell some in Marks and Spencers at only 89 calories a packet.

680 cals is a dangerously small amount to eat in one day, you could do yourself permenant damage. Please eat more!
Original post by ily_em

I feel full, but then, I didn't eat until 6ish.. :dontknow:

100lbs? I'm 112lbs and I'm 5ft2... feeling a bit fat now lol, although I still get the whole "oh you're so skinny.... thing" weirdly enough

Original post by ily_em

I did for lunch with fish fingers (recommended serving size of two fish fingers... I think not. I had four). Yummy!
Reply 36
Original post by Holly Hiskey
100lbs? I'm 112lbs and I'm 5ft2... feeling a bit fat now lol, although I still get the whole "oh you're so skinny.... thing" weirdly enough

I did for lunch with fish fingers (recommended serving size of two fish fingers... I think not. I had four). Yummy!

God, that's not fat in any capacity, I'm actually recovering from an ED so I'm the one that's outwith normality here!!

And as for two fish fingers for an adult portion, who the hell has TWO fish fingers?! It's the same as Tesco's southern chicken dippers (probably the same as the big name brand), but it states 130 cal for a portion, but a portion is 2 chicken dippers. Yeah. Yeah, THAT's happening:s-smilie:

And you know how we always go on about Tesco Value chocolate bars?

The 100g ones? It states between 135 and 155 calories (depending on variety) per serving. A "serving" is 25g - four little squares. Those bars apparently have four servings worth. I know it's common sense that chocolate is evil, but still... those bars look so... innocent.
God, that's not fat in any capacity, I'm actually recovering from an ED so I'm the one that's outwith normality here!!

And as for two fish fingers for an adult portion, who the hell has TWO fish fingers?! It's the same as Tesco's southern chicken dippers (probably the same as the big name brand), but it states 130 cal for a portion, but a portion is 2 chicken dippers. Yeah. Yeah, THAT's happening:s-smilie:

And you know how we always go on about Tesco Value chocolate bars?

The 100g ones? It states between 135 and 155 calories (depending on variety) per serving. A "serving" is 25g - four little squares. Those bars apparently have four servings worth. I know it's common sense that chocolate is evil, but still... those bars look so... innocent.

Ok, phew! Good luck!
Also I just checked the fish finger packet and two fish fingers= 92calories, so it must be because of the salt content that the serving size is so small.
With chocolate I have to get it in bars because otherwise I eat the whole thing in one go....
Serving sizes are ridiculous, but hey, I'm a size 8 so I guess I haven't done myself too much damage by ignoring them :p:

As for breakfast - recently I've been mixing Shreddies and Cheerios together in a bowl (two of my favourite cereals :sogood:) and I must be putting just over a 'serving' of each in my bowl, so god knows how many calories I'm having. Oh, and I have a cup of tea or two with it. :eek:
Don't they say too that meat servings are meant to be the size of a block of cards :wtf: The cereal and noodle thing is crazy though, my two favourite foods.

I always end up having two packets of the mini cereal boxes....and it still doesn't fill up the bowl. In fact once I filled my bowl and weight it and the cereal came to 110g!! :zomg:

Latest