The Student Room Group

Mature student 2010 entry thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
22 years old. Working almost full time from 15 years old and full time from 18 years old. I was attending a local uni for 2 years but it was the course my parents choose for me and I didn't cope with it so I left uni and stayed focus on my work. Progressed really fast in the business but the lack of proper education is hindering me to get even better job, so I am 22 and at last decided what I want to study and where. Still w8ing for the reply if they accept me :smile:
Hi everyone! As an update I've almost completed my second year after going back to uni last year. Really enjoying it, doing well and glad I decided to complete my education. Everyone on my course is lovely and has welcomed me in. Most don't know how old I am and the ones that do thought I was their age so I didn't need to worry. Good luck to everyone applying this year!
Reply 362
Hi , I'm Helen and must be the oldest mature student (to be)
Please if anyone can beat me, at age 42, please write, as I'm feeling a bit old and lonely!!
I've been offered science foundation and Geology degree at Leicester
and straight on to the geology degree at Manchester Uni.
Im not which way to go... any advice welcome.
Reply 363

Original post by Pt40
Hi
I am 41, and have applied for:
1. English and Philosphy at Notttingham
2. English at Nottingham
3. Philosophy at Nottingham
4. English and Philosophy at Sheffield
My UCAS went in mid Nov and so far all I have is an acknowledgement from Nottingham. The waiting is actually driving me mad.
I know the English courses are competative, but it's like being tortured at the moment!
Anyone else in the same boat?

Hi , I'm 42 and contemplating going to Uni but feeling very, very old and not sure whether to hide in my room and study with OU instead. I've been offered a place at Leicester on their Science foundation and geology degree, and Manchester Uni have offered me a place straight on to their geology degree. Some big decisions to make...
im 46!
Reply 365
Original post by hellsie
Hi , I'm 42 and contemplating going to Uni but feeling very, very old and not sure whether to hide in my room and study with OU instead. I've been offered a place at Leicester on their Science foundation and geology degree, and Manchester Uni have offered me a place straight on to their geology degree. Some big decisions to make...

Hey Hellsie,

I am a mature student going to study Geology and Planetry Science at Manchester :wink: he way I decided was whether I felt ready to pursue Geology at degree level, do you do much self study and are you comfortable with basic scientific and math principles? If yes then go straight onto the degree, if no then the foundation year would be of great benefit.

I wouldn't hide in your room, you'll meet loads of like minded people there so try not to worry. Are you looking at halls or private accomodation?
Reply 366
Hi.. Thanks for answering thread... I'm doing GCSE maths at the moment(hope to get a B or A) and i'm studying part of the OU 'Exploring Science' course. I've also studied at Uni before, but not to degree level (nursing).

I love the geology study room they have at Manchester - did you get to meet the woman who works there, Mandy, I thought she was very friendly and helpful - did you get to see the bendy sandstone?! I like having the Manchester Museum right on your doorstep, to use as a resource too. There is also 'The Burlington Society' for mature students.. which I might be making use of. What did you like about the geology department?
Going to Uni as a mature student has to be one of the best things I've ever done. I started last year and I'm now 48. Like many of you I was in fear of being treated differently and ostracised by my fellow students. This hasn't happened. We are all there for the same reason and once you get underway with your course, you develop great friendships of all ages. I'm at Westminster uni - www.facebook.com/studyprlondon, and having a great time. Yes I'm older than anyone one else but they are such great students. More power to you for making the leap at 42!
Reply 368
Original post by hellsie
Hi.. Thanks for answering thread... I'm doing GCSE maths at the moment(hope to get a B or A) and i'm studying part of the OU 'Exploring Science' course. I've also studied at Uni before, but not to degree level (nursing).

I love the geology study room they have at Manchester - did you get to meet the woman who works there, Mandy, I thought she was very friendly and helpful - did you get to see the bendy sandstone?! I like having the Manchester Museum right on your doorstep, to use as a resource too. There is also 'The Burlington Society' for mature students.. which I might be making use of. What did you like about the geology department?

Well the maths should help and the exploring science should give you a firm foundation and the fact you are studying probably means you are actually in a better position to start straight into the degree than most so I personally think the foundation year may be overkill but only you know.

That is some career change nursing to geology, where did that come from?

I did meet Mandy, but we saw an awesome Quatz crystal about 80cm in size with some great conchoidal fractures, and a icthyosaur fossil which was really interesting :smile: I agree having a resource like that on your doorstep would be really beneficial especially as you are allowed to use specimines they have in stores for research :biggrin:!

I really liked most of the tutors I spoke to they all seemed knowledgable and forthcoming which is always nice. The current students were very friendly as well. The lecture rooms and labs looked like they had pretty decent kit in them with a good number of specimins. I love the fact that you can use the labs any time up till 23:00 always good at exam time.

I am interested in planetry geology so that really was a major influence for me as they are the only place to have this attached to a geology course...just means lot's of maths and physics :frown: better get brushed up :smile:

I also spent 3 days in Manchester to get a feel for the City and to be honest I really liked it, there is a lot of culture, sport and nightlife there which for me ticks all the right boxes...oh and they have a good climbing wall, and are only 40 mins from the peak district so it's win win for me really :biggrin:

I think i'll check out the Burlington society also as it will be nice to meet some like minded people :smile:

I am quite looking forward to it now, but not suprisingly a little apprehensive, but i'm sure us older students will have just as much fun and do as well as our younger counterparts :biggrin:
Reply 369
Hi all,

21 here but will be 22 starting my course. I applied for Civil Engineering at Liverpool, Nottingham Trent, Salford, Liverpool John Moores & Surrey. I got accepted everywhere except Surrey and will be following my dream of attending Liverpool this year.

They asked me to do a foundation year which I'm quite happy to do as it'll ease me back into higher mathematics. Since finishing A Levels (Product Design A, ICT D, Chem U (AS), Physics D (AS) & 3D Design C (AS) I started work as a Civil Engineering technician focused on designing highways while I did a BTEC National Certificate in Civil Engineering part-time (Double Merit).
Reply 370
Original post by dipless

Original post by dipless
Well the maths should help and the exploring science should give you a firm foundation and the fact you are studying probably means you are actually in a better position to start straight into the degree than most so I personally think the foundation year may be overkill but only you know.

That is some career change nursing to geology, where did that come from?

I did meet Mandy, but we saw an awesome Quatz crystal about 80cm in size with some great conchoidal fractures, and a icthyosaur fossil which was really interesting :smile: I agree having a resource like that on your doorstep would be really beneficial especially as you are allowed to use specimines they have in stores for research :biggrin:!

I really liked most of the tutors I spoke to they all seemed knowledgable and forthcoming which is always nice. The current students were very friendly as well. The lecture rooms and labs looked like they had pretty decent kit in them with a good number of specimins. I love the fact that you can use the labs any time up till 23:00 always good at exam time.

I am interested in planetry geology so that really was a major influence for me as they are the only place to have this attached to a geology course...just means lot's of maths and physics :frown: better get brushed up :smile:

I also spent 3 days in Manchester to get a feel for the City and to be honest I really liked it, there is a lot of culture, sport and nightlife there which for me ticks all the right boxes...oh and they have a good climbing wall, and are only 40 mins from the peak district so it's win win for me really :biggrin:

I think i'll check out the Burlington society also as it will be nice to meet some like minded people :smile:

I am quite looking forward to it now, but not suprisingly a little apprehensive, but i'm sure us older students will have just as much fun and do as well as our younger counterparts :biggrin:

... well I have just accepted Manchester as my firm choice, but I am having problems with student finance, they are an absolute nightmare to deal with! They said I am not entitled to a Tuition fee loan, so I have sent an appeal in and hoping for a favourable response. I would self finance at £3375 a year, but reading the small print on the uni. website I think they will charge me over £11,000 a year.... lots of phone calls to make... It's all up in the air and I just don't think it is looking good for me. Fingers crossed...
PS. Are you a climber? I've been climbing about 20 years...off to North Wales tomorrow
from Helen
Reply 371
Original post by DeeDee Gibbons

Original post by DeeDee Gibbons
Going to Uni as a mature student has to be one of the best things I've ever done. I started last year and I'm now 48. Like many of you I was in fear of being treated differently and ostracised by my fellow students. This hasn't happened. We are all there for the same reason and once you get underway with your course, you develop great friendships of all ages. I'm at Westminster uni - www.facebook.com/studyprlondon, and having a great time. Yes I'm older than anyone one else but they are such great students. More power to you for making the leap at 42!

hi Dee Dee.. Thanks for your encouraging message.. unfortunately I'm in a battle with Student Finance right now and my Uni place feels like it is slipping away from me.
Reply 372
Original post by kate_J_1986
Hi everyone! As an update I've almost completed my second year after going back to uni last year. Really enjoying it, doing well and glad I decided to complete my education. Everyone on my course is lovely and has welcomed me in. Most don't know how old I am and the ones that do thought I was their age so I didn't need to worry. Good luck to everyone applying this year!

Hehe, I was born in '86, in second year too and your post pretty much sums up my situation. It's great being slightly older and wiser than most of the other students and having that extra "focus", but still being young and able to hang out with everyone.
Reply 373
Evening all, I'm 25, 26 next week and have just sent my Ucas off for a photography course at Salford, I know I know, how late am I!! Since sending my application off I have just been overcome with nerves due to not really being in no further education, I left school 10 years ago and just went straight into the big wide world of work =/ Now I've realised I have an actual passion for something I've decided to try make something of myself and therefor now am in the process of applying for university =O wow! Haha I've told myself though that if I don't get in I don't get in, at least I can say I tried.
Its reassuring to know that there are other mature students out there who also have the same worries as me about fitting in, I am 38 with two children, and due to start Portsmouth Uni in Sept on a therapeutic radiography degree. Excited but very nervous!
Reply 375
Hi Everyone!

Good to see that so many have over come the shaking legs and decided to go for it.

My name is Zoe and I am 35 years old, I have three Children and a wonderful partner :smile:
I have finished one year in college already and I am going on the do two years in BTEC @ Level 3 Health and Social care.
I hope to become a Nurse and then a Midwife and I don't care how long it takes me :P
Last month it is pick up I have dyslexia but it has not stopped me achieve my goals. I took the shake road into college after trying to fight off 50 people for the same job. I want to show my family that it is never to late to learn. I was a carer as a child so school was not easy to keep up with and did not get the grades I should have and so clear would have from all the certificates sat in my record of achievements now :smile:.
I wish you all Good Luck and no matter how hard things get in your life you have the power to change it. :smile:
Hi all, I'm freaking out about going to university next year when I'll be 21 and classed as a 'mature' student. I just can't get it out of my head, I feel like I'll be old and that I've missed out on how it would feel to go when you're 18/19. The thing is I'm anything but mature, hence why I'm yet to attend university... I understand that there are people here older than that and I must sound idiotic but it's just constantly on my mind... :confused:.
Reply 377
Original post by norniron20
Hi all, I'm freaking out about going to university next year when I'll be 21 and classed as a 'mature' student. I just can't get it out of my head, I feel like I'll be old and that I've missed out on how it would feel to go when you're 18/19. The thing is I'm anything but mature, hence why I'm yet to attend university... I understand that there are people here older than that and I must sound idiotic but it's just constantly on my mind... :confused:.

Are you starting this academic year?

Which course/uni are you going to?

Its far from unusual going to university at 21. Its likely that your course/flat mates will presume youre 18 unless you tell them otherwise. Also, its up to you to determine what type of experience you have. If youre after the typical student drinking/party lifestyle then theres no reason you cant through yourself into that.
Original post by josh_v
Are you starting this academic year?

Which course/uni are you going to?

Its far from unusual going to university at 21. Its likely that your course/flat mates will presume youre 18 unless you tell them otherwise. Also, its up to you to determine what type of experience you have. If youre after the typical student drinking/party lifestyle then theres no reason you cant through yourself into that.

I'll hopefully be starting in september 2012 to do music technology. I'd love to go to Bristol or Manchester so I'll apply to universities in those places I think. Are you at uni now?

Thanks for the encouragement, it's just one of those annoying things that keeps nagging on at you. I know it's only 3 years difference, I'll hopefully be the same as the younger students in regards to how mature I am? I love going out now, drinking etc so I reckon I'll enjoy freshers if all goes to plan :redface:
Reply 379
Original post by norniron20
I'll hopefully be starting in september 2012 to do music technology. I'd love to go to Bristol or Manchester so I'll apply to universities in those places I think. Are you at uni now?

Thanks for the encouragement, it's just one of those annoying things that keeps nagging on at you. I know it's only 3 years difference, I'll hopefully be the same as the younger students in regards to how mature I am? I love going out now, drinking etc so I reckon I'll enjoy freshers if all goes to plan :redface:

Im starting at Birmingham in September. Looking forward to it.

Bristol is a great student city, a lot of opportunity to get out there and enjoy yourself. and i know people who studied in Manchester and really enjoyed it.

Do you already have A-Levels required to apply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending