The Student Room Group

The Ongoing PSYA4 Discussion Thread- June Exam :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2040
Depression
notes on psychodynamic therapies

Anomalistic
notes on cognitive, personality & biological factors.

hope it helps someone :|
Original post by TheRockMaster
When looking at type 1 and 2 errors what is it that we need to know?

Type 1 rejects the null hypothesis when its true which creates a false positive result - saying there is a significant result when there is not
If a more lenient significance level (0.01) would increase the Type 1 error chance

The probability of making a Type 1 error is the level of significance used - 0.05 there is a 5% probability of making a type 1 error
If you use 0.01 there is 1% of making the type 1 error

Type 2 accepts the null hypothesis when it is not true
Creates a false negative (i think of pregnancy tests saying negative when really theres two people in one - my teacher suggested it it works for me lol)
the chance of a type 2 increased if the signficance level is too strict of too small a sample
The probability of making a type 2 is generally unknown

:smile: Charlotte xxx
Reply 2042
When looking at type 1 and 2 errors what is it that we need to know?

What they represent and why is it best to avoid them (Via picking P < 0.05%)
Original post by Orange92
Clinical characteristics = Symptoms

Group 1 :

-Thought control
-Hallucinatory voices
-Other persistent delusions (EG, Delusions of granduer)
-Delusions on control/influence/passivity

Group 2:

-Catatonic behaviour
-Irellevant/Incoherent speech
-Other persistent hallucinations (Visual/auditory hallucinations)
-Negative symptoms

thanks Rep+
do you think i should bother learning validity and reliablity in the diagnosis since it came up last year?
do you think its safe for me to just sort of skim over it?
What do people think will come up for research methods?

Also, how do you design a debriefing form?

This is nowhere in my books. And say they ask you to design one, do you just simply write what you are going to put in it (e.g. the debriefing form would contain _____ and ____), or like actually draw one or something and write it out like it was a real one.
Because my PSYA3 resit seemed to go pretty well, I need around 70 UMS in this paper, so around 45 raw marks... Looking at it this way, I seem to be fine, but I am still panicking (I think they will increase the grade boundaries) :/
if someone still wants my media. here.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/a364hkpcl0qayyr/mindmaps%20on%20media.docx
it's very colourful and easy to read.
Reply 2047
Someone please help.
If I'm answering the 'identify and explain 2 issues related to classification and diagnostics of anxiety disorders does this sound correct ?!
Realiability - consistency of test carried out, does it have inter-rater reliability does it have test-restest-reliability.
Validity - does it represent something real + different to other conditions. does DSM measure what it claims to measure. does it have concurrent validity, does it have constructive validity.
Do you think I need to write just about them?! or is there something ive missed out, or dont need to talk about?!
Reply 2048
i'm absolutely screwed for tomorrow, depression is the worst thing to study - ever. amen x
Original post by Charlala92
Type 1 rejects the null hypothesis when its true which creates a false positive result - saying there is a significant result when there is not
If a more lenient significance level (0.01) would increase the Type 1 error chance

The probability of making a Type 1 error is the level of significance used - 0.05 there is a 5% probability of making a type 1 error
If you use 0.01 there is 1% of making the type 1 error

Type 2 accepts the null hypothesis when it is not true
Creates a false negative (i think of pregnancy tests saying negative when really theres two people in one - my teacher suggested it it works for me lol)
the chance of a type 2 increased if the signficance level is too strict of too small a sample
The probability of making a type 2 is generally unknown

:smile: Charlotte xxx

Thanks Charlotte, you know your stuff!
What other topics are you doing?

And good luck for tomorrow!
Reply 2050

Original post by Jasx
Depression
notes on psychodynamic therapies

Anomalistic
notes on cognitive, personality &amp; biological factors.

hope it helps someone :|

thanks mate!
Original post by monkajanik
Because my PSYA3 resit seemed to go pretty well, I need around 70 UMS in this paper, so around 45 raw marks... Looking at it this way, I seem to be fine, but I am still panicking (I think they will increase the grade boundaries) :/

Would you be able to tell me how many raw marks would an A count as in this and in unit 3? I need two A's in these exams to get B overall.

And dont worry, you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
What do people think will come up for research methods?

Also, how do you design a debriefing form?

This is nowhere in my books. And say they ask you to design one, do you just simply write what you are going to put in it (e.g. the debriefing form would contain _____ and ____), or like actually draw one or something and write it out like it was a real one.

If you're asked to write a debrief form you write it as you would want participants to see it, no introductory stuff, just straight and to the point. In a debrief form you would need to put:

* Any deception you used and why you used it
* A breif description of what the study is and what the results will be used for
* Under ALL circumstances put you may withdraw your data from the study and add some fake contact details for the researcher. This = easy marks reallu/
Original post by skyjennie

Original post by skyjennie
if someone still wants my media. here.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/a364hkpcl0qayyr/mindmaps%20on%20media.docx
it's very colourful and easy to read.

wow n i fort myn wa colourful but they aint got **** on urs lool
Reply 2054
How's everyone feeling about this exam???

:frown:
Original post by wulfyrokujuyon_64
If you're asked to write a debrief form you write it as you would want participants to see it, no introductory stuff, just straight and to the point. In a debrief form you would need to put:

* Any deception you used and why you used it
* A breif description of what the study is and what the results will be used for
* Under ALL circumstances put you may withdraw your data from the study and add some fake contact details for the researcher. This = easy marks reallu/

what about offering after care?
like counciling ? i know thats extreme but you never know..
Reply 2056
Someone please help.
If I'm answering the 'identify and explain 2 issues related to classification and diagnostics of anxiety disorders does this sound correct ?!
Realiability - consistency of test carried out, does it have inter-rater reliability does it have test-restest-reliability.
Validity - does it represent something real + different to other conditions. does DSM measure what it claims to measure. does it have concurrent validity, does it have constructive validity.
Do you think I need to write just about them?! or is there something ive missed out, or dont need to talk about?!
Thanks Charlotte, you know your stuff!
What other topics are you doing?

And good luck for tomorrow!

Arwww thanks, well I started revising from the beginning but I am still panicing so much I keep forgetting things and having to look which is making me even more panicky! It will be alright though!

Im doing Schizophrenia and Addiction, personally I think schizophrenia is a god send as its has hardly any psychologists (less names to remember)
Addiction is the hardest out of the two only due to the fact all the models! :|

What are you doing?
Good luck to you too!!

Charlotte xxx
This might sound like a stupid question but I need to get 82 UMS marks, which is how many RAW marks?
In case someone wanted to know, here are grade boundaries from Jan 11:
A* 58
A 51
B 44
C 38
D 32
E 26

Latest

Trending

Trending