The Student Room Group

STEP II 2011 Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

I thought that was a pretty horrible paper as II goes, but I got full solutions out for 1, 6, 8 and 9 and half of 3 plus a tiny bit of 4 in the dying moments of the exam. Though I know I made a slight numerically mistake in the last part of 1 :angry: but my method would have worked had I not added up incorrectly :rolleyes:
Reply 41
Original post by soczek322
Could anyone please remind me what the last part of question 1 was?

21x=3+x+3x2\sqrt{1 - x} = \sqrt{3+x} \, \, + \, \, \sqrt{3-x}
I did question 2 fully, was very happy with that. Most of question 1 but I'm not sure how correct that is. Then parts of other questions but not a lot else :/ FML
Reply 43
Original post by DFranklin
For arcsin x / x > x cosec x, can someone tell me the range you needed to prove this over?

0 to 1, I think. I've given my paper to my maths teacher though so don't have it here with me.
I did 9, 10, 1, 3, 6. My answer to Q1 is the same as what other people have posted (though my method of sketching the graphs was rubbish, just drew the two seperate root graphs and then said 'when you add them together it will look something like...'), 3 I got stuck on showing xcosec(x) is increasing. Out of curiosity, did anyone else get tan(theta)=2 at the end of projectiles question? That's the only bit I can remember of that question. And for any that can remember, on Q9 (collisions), to show B moves towards the wall, would it be ok to say that for that velocity function (the one we had to show) to have any chance of being negative, f=1, then rearrange to get e^2 and show that v>0 no matter what e is from there?
Reply 45
Original post by jonnyboy1993
I thought that was a pretty horrible paper as II goes, but I got full solutions out for 1, 6, 8 and 9 and half of 3 plus a tiny bit of 4 in the dying moments of the exam. Though I know I made a slight numerically mistake in the last part of 1 :angry: but my method would have worked had I not added up incorrectly :rolleyes:

How did you answer the last part of question 9?
Reply 46
I did q1 fully (i hope...), most of q2 (i couldn't find the other solution at the end, and i couldn't prove one of the inequalities), bits of qs 3 and 4 (i think i probably made up some maths in these...), most of q9 (apart from i had a sign error somewhere that i couldn't find), and the very 1st bit of q10.

so maybe a 3?! definitely nowhere near a 1 :frown:

that paper was ridiculous :frown:
Original post by Webbykun
So yeah I completely failed it. Only question I completed was question 1 and my graph had 6 intercepts, with 4 being the same and 2 being the other. I got -3 and 2.2 for the intercepts but I forgot to check if they actually satisfied the original. I wasn't sure whether we had to consider plus or minus square roots so took both just in case.

For question 2 I did part i, I got x = 1, y = 19 and z = 7. It took me aaaages to show z cubed was less than k squared.

For question 3 I think it was, I got stuck on showing that arcsinx/x >= xcosec x

The integration question was WTF. I didn't even attempt any more questions than that FML.

OMG I REJECTED X = 1 AS A SOLUTION

I said "well x = 1 just won't work" - at this point I was rejecting the idea that any of x,y,z were greater than 10. Why didn't I notice this when I realised that at least one WAS greater than 10? SO ****ING TAMPING! :colonhash:

And that's where I stopped on Q3 too.
Reply 48
Original post by Bork
21x=3+x+3x2\sqrt{1 - x} = \sqrt{3+x} \, \, + \, \, \sqrt{3-x}

Thats not true, x=1.
Reply 49
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
x

Damn definitely messed up in 6 somewhere. Hopefully would have got some follow through marks or my 3 is looking dodgy :tongue:
Reply 50
Original post by jj193
Thats not true, x=1.

What?
x = 1 was not a solution, this is the second part.
Reply 51
If it makes anyone feel better, in my experience the Cambridge examiners often "overcorrect" when trying to address a previous year being too easy. So I was thinking it likely this would be a very difficult paper.

This is actually very reassuring, thankyou very much :smile:

Does anyone have any idea where the grade boundaries were for papers of similar difficulty in previous years? Or, if it's the hardest one ever (:eek:) does anyone know where the grade boundaries for the next hardest were?

... not that I think there's any danger of me having a 1, but I think I might have scraped a low 2 if everything I did was correct :moon:
Original post by soczek322
How did you answer the last part of question 9?

I started from the function for v, then through considering the values of e and f I showed that it must be positive for all 0 < e,f <=1. I don't remember exactly how, but I think it worked, though I could have missed something.
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Here's a couple that I can remember well enough. I ended up doing all the multiples of 3 completely, plus just over 2/3 of the way through Q2 and got a fragment out of Q1 (maybe 4-5 marks). I haven't bothered to post Q3 because it was long (in fact, I made a bad decision to attempt it; even though I finished it, it had taken almost an hour...) and involved a lot of graphs. Q9 was just about algebra, which makes it harder for me to remember my working unless I write it out on paper again. I feel sorry for those of you who didn't attempt it; it was by far the easiest question on the paper!

As for the paper, it was reasonably harder than the last 2 or 3 STEP II papers, although I don't think it was as scary as the hype in the examiners report.

Q6 - Integration by parts

Q12 - X vs Y tennis match

Good luck for STEP III everyone! :smile:

I did Q6, and my answers are very, very similar. I let u = [f'(x)]^2 though, and I think my result is slightly wrong - I had factors of 2 floating about. :s-smilie:

FFS I'm so mad at Q12 - I just couldn't focus on the series at the start and now I'm really mad about it. I should have just moved on with the question instead of ignoring it all.

For Q9, I just couldn't understand what the particle was doing tbh, and I highly doubted that my speeds were correct.
Original post by Bork
0 < x < 1
You can show that

x - x^3/6 < sin x < x

and

1-x^2/2 < cos x < 1 in that range;

I thnk that's enough to show

ddxarcsinxx2sinx>0\frac{d}{dx} \arcsin x - \frac{x^2}{\sin x} > 0

[This is a somewhat ugly solution, but I'm looking for "how would I do this quickly" here].
Reply 55
Original post by AnonyMatt

6 - I fully completed this, but it was the only one and I think I did it wrong. I wasted huge amounts of time on this. First I tried integrating the expression for f''(x), but then I did IBP with u = [f'(x)]^2, v' = [f(x)]^n, and got a really BIG result! I carried on anyway, and my verification worked! Except it didn't - I lost a factor of 2, although now I think maybe they wanted you to find k (if k = 2, then my verification works) but I thought that k was any constant, and maybe it is.

I think if you let tan(x) be f(x), then the second derivative is equal to 2f'(x)f(x) so k has to be 2 when you're working with tan(x).

Now, here's where I got SO pissed off. I KNOW to ALWAYS check for derivatives in integrals, but I wanted to wrap up the question quickly with no time wasted, so I thought secx + tanx will never derive to anything I want, so I expanded the brackets binomially and integrated each term separately - I thought this was right because I was making use of sec^2 = tan^2 + 1, and the result I found, but then I realised I couldn't integrate sec^6 or tan^6. Just for kicks I differentiated secx + tanx - it gives secx(secx + tanx) - allowing you to use the rule with n = 4. I was livid. The answer falls out immediately, meaning I wasted 20mins for nothing.

I feel a bit silly now, I had a similar problem with not being able to see what to do with that. Do you remember what your answer looked like? Because I did it a different (and much worse way). I wrote (tan(x)+sex(x))^6 as exp(6ln(tanx+secx)), because I was so pleased with myself when i remembered that sex(x) was the derivative of ln(secx+tanx) and then managed to integrate it in a similar way to how you derive that result in the first part of the question, using parts, although I had to use parts twice, and even then the integral I was left with was a multiple of the integral I started with, so I had to equate them and solve the equation.

It was all a bit messy and I could well have ended up with the wrong answer, did your answer have a factor of 35 in it somewhere by any chance? :s-smilie:
Reply 56
Wish I looked at the mechanics questions -.- Well on the positive side, we've learnt from our mistakes and it should help us with STEP III/I
Reply 57
You can show that

x - x^3/6 < sin x < x

and

1-x^2/2 < cos x < 1 in that range;

I thnk that's enough to show

ddxarcsinxx2sinx>0\frac{d}{dx} \arcsin x - \frac{x^2}{\sin x} > 0

[This is a somewhat ugly solution, but I'm looking for "how would I do this quickly" here].

Would you be expected to know the series expansions for STEP II though?
I suppose they are in the formula book, so perhaps they expect people might start rooting around in there for anything that might provide a bit of inspiration.
Reply 58
Original post by Webbykun
Wish I looked at the mechanics questions -.- Well on the positive side, we've learnt from our mistakes and it should help us with STEP III/I

Yep, STEP 1 in S111 on Friday.
I will definitely look at the mechanics sooner..
Original post by tobyc
I think if you let tan(x) be f(x), then the second derivative is equal to 2f'(x)f(x) so k has to be 2 when you're working with tan(x).

I feel a bit silly now, I had a similar problem with not being able to see what to do with that. Do you remember what your answer looked like? Because I did it a different (and much worse way). I wrote (tan(x)+sex(x))^6 as exp(6ln(tanx+secx)), because I was so pleased with myself when i remembered that sex(x) was the derivative of ln(secx+tanx) and then managed to integrate it in a similar way to how you derive that result in the first part of the question, using parts, although I had to use parts twice, and even then the integral I was left with was a multiple of the integral I started with, so I had to equate them and solve the equation.

It was all a bit messy and I could well have ended up with the wrong answer, did your answer have a factor of 35 in it somewhere by any chance? :s-smilie:

Yes I set k = 2, but my result had 2k in it, whereas Farhan's has just k, so I guess my funny 2 comes from doing part i wrong. My final answer will be wrong too now. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending