The Student Room Group

Anxiety experiences and support

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Amwazicles
Being run over must have been a horrible experience for you, I'm not surprised it generated some anxiety and difficult feelings.

Your experiences at college also sound really difficult, and the drinking sounds worrying, but I'm glad to hear you've stopped now.

If you haven't already, I really recommend seeking a counsellor/therapist. Try seeing your GP and asking them to refer you on. You need someone (in real life) to talk to about your troubles and your nerves and support you.

You can get through this. :smile:
+rep.

Edit: Two pages! Score!

it was a horrible experience being run over, I have never really talked about it to anyone but I think about it a lot inside, to myself. :frown:

Whilst at college i got along great with everyone, I just felt really nervous still for some reason, the drink i used to try to appear confident to other people. :frown:

I have not spoke to a counselling/therapist yet but it is something i am considering thanks. :smile:

Congratulations well done!:dance:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by equality.

it was a horrible experience being run over, I have never really talked about it to anyone but I think about it a lot inside, to myself. :frown:

Whilst at college i got along great with everyone, I just felt really nervous still for some reason, the drink i used to try to appear confident to other people. :frown:

I have not spoke to a counselling/therapist yet but it is something i am considering thanks. :smile:

Congratulations well done!:dance:

Good Luck with everything :smile:
Original post by Sabertooth
Thanks, that makes me feel slightly less of a weirdo.

Btw, your experience sounds pretty bad, but just a word of warning: alcohol helps, it helps me too, but it's not a long term solution merely a short term fix. Long term it creates a hell of a lot of problems, your health, your friends, your wallet, it's not worth relying on alcohol to get you through stuff because in the end it'll come back at you.

Oh I just noticed you said you've quit, that's great, good for you, I hope you've worked out more effective coping strategies.

Thanks for the reply. Believe me, 3 years totally alone, I know humans need social interaction, I was talking to myself constantly and I think I would have gone absolutely bat **** crazy without the internet for the small bit of interaction it provided. :tongue: The thing is, I don't really see how any one can help me because I'm too scared to ask for the help. I don't see how any therapy could ever be effective as I'd have to talk to a therapist, ie an authority figure, ie my worst nightmare, in order to do it. And I've tried the antidepressant/beta blockers/benzo route without much success there either.

I have no idea where the breaking silence thing stems from, it's the actual opening my mouth getting the words out bit, they're all right there in my head I open my mouth...silence and massive massive feeling of awkwardness. I guess I can work on it, if only because poking my girlfriend pisses her off :biggrin:

I wouldn't say a therapist is an authority figure. They are almost an 'empty vessel' for you to view as you want and fill up with all your troubles. I really suggest you at least give it a try, because doing nothing is completely unsustainable.

:smile:
Reply 23

Good Luck with everything :smile:

Thank you
I've got generalised anxiety disorder with hints of OCD; I've already written bits on other threads but when it's at it's very worst it's a living hell. Without medication I am basically terrified of everything - I struggle to leave my bedroom on the worst days. I have ridiculous thoughts, for example I can't take paracetomal as my mind goes "There is paracetomal on the packet from the last time you took some, there was paracetomal on the glass that mum put in the sink earlier, which I must have swallowed because I washed dishes in the same water earlier. These are only traces therefore I am safe but I must not take a tablet as I will overdoes and end up ill". I've seen myself curled up on the floor with period pain but refusing to take any medication to solve it.

I went to *one* lecture last semester as I'm so scared of them. I haven't been shopping in ages, I avoid the cinema and the theatre like the plague..

I don't even know what I'm scared of anymore - it's just this constant feeling of absolute terror, of waiting for the very worst thing to happen.

I've had a lot of therapy over the last 2-3 years, but medication so far has worked the best.
I thought I'd make a thread for support of people with anxiety/phobias and any other 'mental health'(hate that term) things like that, which aren't covered in the depression threads. Apologies if this has already been done, but I couldn't find it.

Please post your experiences and any advice for others - try to be encouraging rather than disheartening.

I'm not going anon because it feels like people should be open, but you won't be judged for going anon.

I'll try to read anyone who posts experiences on here unless there are too many - please quote me so I notice your post.

Here is my experience if you can be bothered to read it :smile:

Spoiler

Thank you so much for making this thread (+rep), I felt out of place hanging around on the depression thread even though I have mild depression. Anxiety affects me in many ways. I have OCD, social anxiety problems, and general anxiety that manifests itself in many ways including being a hypochondriac. I wash my hands obsessively everyday and fear 'contamination', I haven't kept a single friend in school/college the 7 years I have been there, and I constantly think I have a brain tumour or something bad. I don't know what the next step is. If I go to a doctor will they refer me to a psychologist? I just want to see somebody who will help me, because these problems will probably get worse when I go to university.
Original post by Cinamon
I have generalized anxiety disorder. I don't really have social anxiety and love being around people in most situations (other than when i'm already anxious about something else). Therefore I like going out shopping, clubbing, travelling e.c.t. My anxiety is centered around situations where I feel trapped/not able to make my own choices like in exams, sitting in a resturant or formal family occasions :frown:. I hate it and get really really anxious.

I suffer from panic attacks with chest pains and when I am anxious I am not able to concentrate at all. My brain goes at 1 million miles an hour despite taking propranolol. I love learning and would say i'm fairly intelligent but always screw up my exams due to anxiety and end up looking stupid. Today I was supposed to be taking my exam in a small room with less than 5 people, but they put me in a large room with 30 despite knowing why it's difficult for me. This ended with me not answering most of the questions and spending most of my time trying not to throw up, hyperventilate and just wanting it to end.

sorry needed to vent that

This is the most frustrating thing about my anxiety. I nearly had a panic attack in my history exam and wasted 20 minutes. I constantly underperform because of my stupid anxiety.
Original post by Sabertooth
I've got terrible social anxiety. I've never been able to speak to anyone, I even have difficulty talking with people I know really well. All my childhood I didn't volunteer an answer once in class, and I hated getting picked on to answer, I'd turn bright red, shake, stutter, and talk crap. I still do this and I just finished university. Seminars were absolute hell at university. I tried skipping them as much as possible. I was meant to get help for it after I got diagnosed with avoidant personality disorder but then for some reason...er...didn't. My social anxiety has also really affected my ability to interact with people on a making friends level, I just finished a 3 year degree course, I didn't make a single friend the entire time, it was so lonely but I just seem completely incapable of having successful social interactions with people. I keep trying, god only knows why, I'm a sucker for rejection I guess. :tongue:

Btw does anyone else find breaking silence really hard? It's completely retarded but like if I'm sitting in silence with my girlfriend and I need to say something I find it impossibly hard to break the silence so I poke her until she says something first then I can talk. Anyone else find this?

I have trouble maintaining conversation, and I don't have a single friend after the 7 years I have been at school/college. I want to make friends, but when I try and talk it is as if my brain inhibits my mouth, because I just can't speak. When I do, I become really self-conscious and feel stupid because normally I panic so much the words all come out wrong.
Reply 28
I just chew on a valium and my anxiety settles :cool:
Reply 29
I have this strange physical anxiety in which I don't feel anything mentally but I get the physical symptoms such as a tight chest, a stress headache and sometimes shivering...might be diabetes now that I think of it :colonhash:

But I keep getting these symptoms before a exam so it might just be stress and fear, and my family also seems to be genetically predisposed to anxiety. Luckily that's it and it doesn't really affect my life.
Reply 30
I had pretty bad anxiety for a year, after going to night out i'd come back and lay in bed replaying all the bad things that happened in that night and just wind myself up.
Its something i learned to fight, and eventually it went away. I found that just constantly telling yourself everybody does silly things and half of the stuff that i thought was embarrassing wasn't.
Talking about it is the biggest thing you can do, get whatever is in your head out and make sure you fully understand why it was causing you anxiety, its the only way you'll be able to fight it.

Don't take pills, or other sorts of prescribed medication because all that does it hide the anxiety and you become dependent on the pills. As i said talk to people about it, or start meditation or yoga i hear that helps.

Good luck to anybody that suffers for this horrible feeling though, i do understand how bad it feels and panic attacks are even worst.
I really want to try out prescribed drugs for my anxiety, but everytime I've been to teh GP, its just bee "they can make people kill themselves, I'd rather not prescribe it, try counselling"
But I tried to sort some out, but they enver got back to me (and ive finished school now)And if I go to like a youth advice centre or somehitng the waiting lists are sooooo long, i doubt i'll really be able to start before uni, and I just really need to sort this out!!!
How can I get them to prescribe me something, without it sounding bad/needy :/
Original post by daisydaffodil
I've got generalised anxiety disorder with hints of OCD; I've already written bits on other threads but when it's at it's very worst it's a living hell. Without medication I am basically terrified of everything - I struggle to leave my bedroom on the worst days. I have ridiculous thoughts, for example I can't take paracetomal as my mind goes "There is paracetomal on the packet from the last time you took some, there was paracetomal on the glass that mum put in the sink earlier, which I must have swallowed because I washed dishes in the same water earlier. These are only traces therefore I am safe but I must not take a tablet as I will overdoes and end up ill". I've seen myself curled up on the floor with period pain but refusing to take any medication to solve it.

I went to *one* lecture last semester as I'm so scared of them. I haven't been shopping in ages, I avoid the cinema and the theatre like the plague..

I don't even know what I'm scared of anymore - it's just this constant feeling of absolute terror, of waiting for the very worst thing to happen.

I've had a lot of therapy over the last 2-3 years, but medication so far has worked the best.

Your experience sounds really horrible, I'm sorry. I can really relate to your experience of slightly OCD-like symptoms. I often have similar feelings around my fear of vomiting. I think things like "I had a spoon of sugar on my cereal this morning and sugar in my coffee so I can't eat a block of chocolate or it will make me sick"

I can also understand the feeling of not even knowing what you're scared of anymore. Most often I get panic attacks related to the phobia, but sometimes they come on with no apparent cause, and that's almost worse than when I at least know why I am anxious.

I'm glad you've found something that can help you.

Original post by Ratiocinator
Thank you so much for making this thread (+rep), I felt out of place hanging around on the depression thread even though I have mild depression. Anxiety affects me in many ways. I have OCD, social anxiety problems, and general anxiety that manifests itself in many ways including being a hypochondriac. I wash my hands obsessively everyday and fear 'contamination', I haven't kept a single friend in school/college the 7 years I have been there, and I constantly think I have a brain tumour or something bad. I don't know what the next step is. If I go to a doctor will they refer me to a psychologist? I just want to see somebody who will help me, because these problems will probably get worse when I go to university.

That's OK :smile: i felt similar about the depression thread, it just didn't feel quite right. I'm glad some people are using this thread now.

I feel for you, I can relate to the hypochondria, and I often have thoughts about a brain tumour or something. I think "brain tumours affect your personality and your emotions, that would explain my anxiety, and I get tired and headaches [probably officially caused by my weight] that would also be explained by that".

I would recommend seeing your doctor. They will probably suggest either medication to reduce the anxiety, or refer you to a counsellor/psychiatrist. As long as you make it clear that you want to see a therapist, they will make sure they refer you. You could also try seeking a private counsellor if waiting lists are long, although these can be quite expensive.

I hope that when you get to uni, you will find some people who like you for who you are, regardless of your anxiety. Good luck with everything.

(+rep... I'm trying to rep everyone who posts but I keep running out :P)
Original post by Stratos
I have this strange physical anxiety in which I don't feel anything mentally but I get the physical symptoms such as a tight chest, a stress headache and sometimes shivering...might be diabetes now that I think of it :colonhash:

But I keep getting these symptoms before a exam so it might just be stress and fear, and my family also seems to be genetically predisposed to anxiety. Luckily that's it and it doesn't really affect my life.

That does sound strange... I would usually expect anxiety to have at least *some* mental symptoms, but maybe it is buried very deep so only your subconscious realises you are anxious... (I'm no professional here). I guess you could go to your doctor and see what they say about it. :smile:

:doctor:
That's OK :smile: i felt similar about the depression thread, it just didn't feel quite right. I'm glad some people are using this thread now.

I feel for you, I can relate to the hypochondria, and I often have thoughts about a brain tumour or something. I think "brain tumours affect your personality and your emotions, that would explain my anxiety, and I get tired and headaches [probably officially caused by my weight] that would also be explained by that".

I would recommend seeing your doctor. They will probably suggest either medication to reduce the anxiety, or refer you to a counsellor/psychiatrist. As long as you make it clear that you want to see a therapist, they will make sure they refer you. You could also try seeking a private counsellor if waiting lists are long, although these can be quite expensive.

I hope that when you get to uni, you will find some people who like you for who you are, regardless of your anxiety. Good luck with everything.

(+rep... I'm trying to rep everyone who posts but I keep running out :P)

Thanks. I went to see a psychotherapist, who I suppose is a sort of counsellor, but not really a psychologist. I did do some cognitive behavioural therapy but I don't think I stuck with it for long enough. I don't really like the idea of medication like SSRIs but if they work, then I will try them.
Original post by jack747
I had pretty bad anxiety for a year, after going to night out i'd come back and lay in bed replaying all the bad things that happened in that night and just wind myself up.
Its something i learned to fight, and eventually it went away. I found that just constantly telling yourself everybody does silly things and half of the stuff that i thought was embarrassing wasn't.
Talking about it is the biggest thing you can do, get whatever is in your head out and make sure you fully understand why it was causing you anxiety, its the only way you'll be able to fight it.

Don't take pills, or other sorts of prescribed medication because all that does it hide the anxiety and you become dependent on the pills. As i said talk to people about it, or start meditation or yoga i hear that helps.

Good luck to anybody that suffers for this horrible feeling though, i do understand how bad it feels and panic attacks are even worst.

That's great that you managed to overcome it :smile:

I agree about talking, keeping it inside is the worst. However, I think medication can be a real help for some people. If the anxiety is so bad they are unable to see a therapist or similar, it can be good as a temporary help to allow them to work on the underlying problems. Meditation and yoga also sound like great ideas :smile:

Thanks for posting :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I really want to try out prescribed drugs for my anxiety, but everytime I've been to teh GP, its just bee "they can make people kill themselves, I'd rather not prescribe it, try counselling"
But I tried to sort some out, but they enver got back to me (and ive finished school now)And if I go to like a youth advice centre or somehitng the waiting lists are sooooo long, i doubt i'll really be able to start before uni, and I just really need to sort this out!!!
How can I get them to prescribe me something, without it sounding bad/needy :/

I would say just keep persisting with the doctor. Try maybe going to see a different doctor to the one you saw last time if they were unhelpful. I would suggest you have a try of counselling before you ask for medication, as it is a 'bigger deal' being on medication. But it is always up to you.

There might be 'in-house' counsellors at your uni, you could maybe try looking into that before you go, see if you can set something up in advance, that could help you worry about it less.

Good Luck :smile:

Edit: Three pages!! :awesome:
Reply 38
That's great that you managed to overcome it :smile:

I agree about talking, keeping it inside is the worst. However, I think medication can be a real help for some people. If the anxiety is so bad they are unable to see a therapist or similar, it can be good as a temporary help to allow them to work on the underlying problems. Meditation and yoga also sound like great ideas :smile:

Thanks for posting :smile:

I suppose pills can help, but i don't know if that's the path I'd recommend anyone like me.

Also stay away from anything with a high caffeine dosage. Red bulls had a major effect on my anxiety.
And stay far far away from things like weed and MDMA.
Original post by Ratiocinator
Thanks. I went to see a psychotherapist, who I suppose is a sort of counsellor, but not really a psychologist. I did do some cognitive behavioural therapy but I don't think I stuck with it for long enough. I don't really like the idea of medication like SSRIs but if they work, then I will try them.

I think the particular person you see can also affect how you get on. If you are seeing someone you don't really like, you aren't going to want to 'open up' to them. I would say just keep trying until you find 'the one'.

CBT is known for taking a long time I think (I have never had it), but you could also try other types of therapy if you don;t thin kit worked for you. Psychodynamic 'talking' therapy is the type where you talk a lot and the therapist will sort of analyse and suggest what the root of the problem may be and how to deal with it (this is what I have at the moment). You could also try alternative therapies if you are into that sort of thing, such s acupuncture, or EMDR/EFT and other similar things.

Quick Reply

Latest