The Student Room Group

Anyone tried absinthe before?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TimesChanging
There was a joke saying it removes nail polish... and to be honest it probably could.
Probably not the safest, but in south america most things go! I even brought some home for my mates.. but they refused.

I'd probably refuse it too, I have an image of it being produced by a Mexican in a garden shed mixing it in a big metal bowl with a spoon :rolleyes:

CJ
Absinthe Cocktails

Absinthe and Death I hear is a very good and regularly seen cocktail!
(edited 12 years ago)
Drinking absinthe causes you to sever your own ear.
True story bro. :wink:

Johnny Depp: "If you drink too much absinthe, you suddenly realize why Van Gogh cut his ear off."
I had a pack of mini bottles from Spain, all different flavors. Black one was my favorite, I've only 'shot' with it before, never been intoxicated purely on absinthe though.
Reply 63
the czechs make it best
Reply 64
It's the kind of thing that should be in your car rather than in your glass lol.
Reply 65
It's like being sick backwards
hmm i wouldnt consider myself a lightweight but thanks for that.

Original post by ArcaneAnna
I think everyone here is a light weight.
It's not THAT amazing, it's just like any other strong spirit and two shots will hardly make you pass out.
love your profile pic. i'd just like to say:
Karl Pilkington's got a head like a ****ing orange!!

Original post by CJ
Was that in the Absinthe bar in Barcelona?

I've got a bottle of blue absinthe (80%) sitting on my desk from my very responsible little brother.

Still working out how to get through it :beard:

Anyone know any decent absinthe based cocktails?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 68
Had a shot in revs once and didn't think it burnt that badly. Someone was saying that they wanted to see my reaction as I'd never had it before, I kept a straight face with ease.

It didn't taste nice, but it wasn't disgusting either.
Reply 69
Original post by CJ
Was that in the Absinthe bar in Barcelona?

I've got a bottle of blue absinthe (80%) sitting on my desk from my very responsible little brother.

Still working out how to get through it :beard:

The traditional way to drink absinthe is with sugar and water, the exact method for doing this is quite complicated but I believe it explains it quite well on the wikipedia page.
Original post by christykai1049
Anyone tried absinthe before? What does it feel like and how much do you need to drink to start feeling the effects?

One show and I was wasted..didnt halucinate...tasted a bit like cough medicine
I tried it once - someone gave me a shot and told me it was vodka (much to my surprise it was not). It's very strong, burns your throat, it tastes like what I imagine paint stripper tastes like. I didn't experience any of the psychoactive effects it supposedly has on you though (and I didn't drink much that night, so I would have noticed).
Had two shots of black absinthe (85%) one after the other, I was already pretty drunk, but this was next level madness bro!
GCSE results night lol :facepalm: It was horrible and made me sick, though I didn't do any of the poncy stuff with the sugar
Reply 74
Original post by CJ

Like Manitude (and me, earlier) said, the traditional was is with sugar and water: drip ice water through a sugar cube into it until it goes cloudy. As for cocktails, I want to try a Death in the Afternoon at some point, which is by Ernest Hemingway ("one jigger absinthe in a champagne glass, top up with champagne until it attains the proper opalescent milkiness, drink three to five of these slowly"). A Sazerac uses a splash of absinthe, but that's not so useful for getting through a bottle. Honestly, I'd save it for slow drunken afternoons, done in the traditional method.

Original post by Bimber
the czechs make it best

In terms of 'proper' absinthe, the Czech (also called 'Bohemian') absinthe is actually not really absinthe: rather than being distilled from wormwood to begin with, it's essentially just neutral spirit infused with wormwood. Hence the elaborate ritual with fire to distract from bad quality product.
Reply 75
Original post by dbmag9
Like Manitude (and me, earlier) said, the traditional was is with sugar and water: drip ice water through a sugar cube into it until it goes cloudy. As for cocktails, I want to try a Death in the Afternoon at some point, which is by Ernest Hemingway ("one jigger absinthe in a champagne glass, top up with champagne until it attains the proper opalescent milkiness, drink three to five of these slowly"). A Sazerac uses a splash of absinthe, but that's not so useful for getting through a bottle. Honestly, I'd save it for slow drunken afternoons, done in the traditional method.

In terms of 'proper' absinthe, the Czech (also called 'Bohemian') absinthe is actually not really absinthe: rather than being distilled from wormwood to begin with, it's essentially just neutral spirit infused with wormwood. Hence the elaborate ritual with fire to distract from bad quality product.

well I can tell you, from someone who actually drinks the product and not reads about it, that Czechs make it best :biggrin:

edit: and cheapest!
I've had black absinthe neat. Tastes vile, in my opinion. Incredibly strong and can have rather nasty effects. I felt ill for hours after one shot.

I've had green and white absinthe in cocktails. They are much nicer and generally not as strong. In the right cocktails they work brilliantly, but I'd still be wary of doing them neat.
Reply 77
Yes... had so many shots I lost count once... never again...
Reply 78
Original post by Bimber
well I can tell you, from someone who actually drinks the product and not reads about it, that Czechs make it best :biggrin:

edit: and cheapest!

Sure, most of the information I mentioned is from the internet, but doesn't mean I don't drink it. Taste is subjective, I was talking about 'best' in terms of being what's traditionally called absinthe, like I said. In my experience, providing you're buying in one place (alcohol in Czechia is generally cheaper than a lot of places) price varies more with ABV than anything else.
I've had one shot. I was 15 at the time and can't remember it's effects.

Quick Reply

Latest