The Student Room Group

Why should footballers be on a better salary than soldiers? I think its wrong

A.....
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A lot of soldiers are uneducated chavs who did crap in school and made no effort, and can't get a job due to lack of qualifications and therefore end up ''joining the army''.

Soldiers don't deserve any special treatment.
Yawn, heard it all before.

Original post by 7~UP
I think the whole gross over payment for footballers should be reviewed and perhaps severely slashed right down top maybe £10,000 to £25,000 a month which is still a heck of a lot for one month instead of over £1,000,000 per month +

Who earns that? A handful of players. Who are you to say a club shouldnt pay their players so much? Its entirely up to them how much they pay their players and it doesnt affect me at all (unless you look at ticket prices and merchandise, etc.)
Reply 3
The football 'economy' allows them to be paid that much with no detrimental effect towards the rest of the economy.

Why cut their wages down? What would you do with the money left? Give it back to clubs to spend on other things which wouldn't exactly be needed? Force them to give money to charity etc which is grossly unfair?

Footballs don't 'deserve' to be paid so much. But they CAN and are allowed to be paid so much in a way that does not affect you. The clubs can afford it.

P.s. Please don't use such large amounts as typical figures, they aren't.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
You go into a career knowing the general amount you'll get paid. They chose to be soldiers, so they should deal with what being a soldier entails. Sorry.
Reply 5
Soldiers SHOULD be paid more when they're on tour/operations. But I hope nobody is suggesting they get paid footballers wages, that would be ludicrous.

I don't really know much about football and how their paid and whatnot, but surely it's down to the individual clubs. You have no right to tell them how much they should be earning or paying their players. It's their money.
Original post by 7~UP
Footballers are getting grossly overpaid for doing something that most people thoroughly enjoy and for what almost anyone would love to pursue as a career. Professional football from what I gather is basically a group of grown men kicking a ball around a field a few times a week and earning up to £150,000 to £250,000 per week, maybe more so say about £1,000,000 a month approx, that is a lot more money than a lot of people on here will see in their lifetime, people on here who will be working hard throughout their life to make something with their life and yet will likely get less in their lifetime than what a football player gets a month. What makes it worse is what a lot of these players spend their outrageous salary on, things such as for sex (happens a lot) thousands, perhaps millions on gambling, a brand new car which they drive recklessly as if they crash they'd just buy another and insurance increase not an issue.

Lets flip the table now and go onto soldiers. A lot of people become soldiers as they cannot find a job and they see being in the army as a job, something that will provide a steady income. They join the army and risk their lives massively to provide for themselves and their family whilst at the same time defending our country and our nation.
I don't know a great deal about life as a soldier or the salary in that profession though I do have a friend who is signed up and has patrolled Afghan, but I watched the rather recent episode of young soldiers and watching that provided me and a lot of other people I'm sure with an insight into army life and what I saw disheartened me. One young soldier even said ''what we get here for a salary is peanuts for the job we do, for putting our lives on the line and yet footballers are on such a huge salary that is far to much for what they do, especially in comparison to being a soldier''.
I totally agree as I'm sure many other people will to. Soldiers put their lives at risk everyday in Afghan and even in training, they have to sacrifice a lot and work dozens of times harder, many are left traumatized for life whilst others lose their life or limbs as well as close friends.

I think the whole gross over payment for footballers should be reviewed and perhaps severely slashed right down top maybe £30,000 to £50,000 a month which is still a heck of a lot for one month instead of over £1,000,000 per month +

Any normal people would agree with me on this one, it just is not fair

Just a few points:

1) Only very very very few footballers get that amount a week. The majority of Premier League players gets around 30,000 a week iirc. Its still a lot, but dont inflate the figures to suit your argument.
2) Football is not paid for by the government like being in the army is. Its privately run and so if you have the best players in the world, it really will be a case of whoever offers them the most money will get them. And aslong as fans are willing to pay for TV coverage/merchandise/tickets and companies are willing to pay for advertising then it will continue.
3) Why do footballers go so much stick? Boxers can earn upto £15m a fight twice a year. Musicians can earn millions from world tours. F1 drivers earn more than footballers. So why single out footballers?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
private v public sector..pretty sure there are less high profile jobs out there which pay better than the majority of footballers.

football IS a business and is run like one, which involves money. to get money you have to win things, to win things you have to have good players/manager to get good players/manager you have to buy them and pay their wages. better players (company assets) are worth more and cost more to run (wages). better players want to win things...you see whats happening here?

its a global sport, people pay the money to watch the games...the money has to go somewhere...why not pay the plays take 50% as tax and then let them put the rest of it back into the economy? without the high earners, there would be less tax and less money available to pay the soldiers you speak of.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
I agree generally. Money obivously is not a motivating factor when you join up to the army. It is a unique career in that sense.

If you decide to pay them more that means some service or employee working for the government will have to get paid less to pay for it. Who should that be?

I think your question would have been better if you had of said nurses or other skilled occupation. I agree most soldiers like it or lump it or highly uneducated chavs who are living out thier childhood fantasies.
we don't live in a 2d world.
Reply 10
Original post by JohnC2211
And some of the soldiers and officers in the army would **** all over you. The things that you learn in the army is worth a great deal more than a degree.

How to kill innocent women and children in an illegal war. Yeah I don't think I will or will want to learn that during my degree, thanks all the same though.
Players are not just paid some arbitrary amount. Supply and demand. It's the same as people who argue that lawyers are paid too much. Well, no. Someone, somewhere is willing to pay for the service.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by JohnC2211
And some of the soldiers and officers in the army would **** all over you. The things that you learn in the army is worth a great deal more than a degree.

The things you life in life (regardless of what job you are in) is worth a great deal more than a degree. And yes I can imagine the officers and soldiers ****ting all over me, because they are aggresive bullies who think violence is the answer to everything.

Becoming a soldier is similar to some who go into teaching. They don't really know what to do with their life and have the whole, ''I'll go into teaching'', ''I'll join the army'' attitude. They'll do it for the sake of it, but lack passion and enthusiasm for the career and don't really have any valid reasoning behind their decision.
Reply 13
Original post by BCUciaran
How to kill innocent women and children in an illegal war. Yeah I don't think I will or will want to learn that during my degree, thanks all the same though.

I feel sick when people call them ''heroes'' and are proud of them ''serving our country''. These people kill innocent civilians and rape young girls and women ... I wouldn't even spit on them, never mind call them heroes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by ======
I feel sick when people call them ''heroes'' and are proud of them ''serving out country''. These people kill innocent civilians and rape young girls and women ... I wouldn't even spit on them, never mind call them heroes.

Exactly. People who view them as heroes are people conditioned by the media. Like SkyNews and The Sun who constantly show sob stories from soldiers and yet you never see a thing about the innocent children shot dead which happends almost daily!vPeople say some do horrible stuff but the majority are great. It is the other way around.

Half of them should be jailed not paid more. Here is why: (I know he is American but same thing in this situation really)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUvABcw6gIY
Reply 15
Because footballers have skills other people don't. Soldiers are very replace-able, as wars have shown. They're merely pawns, that get used, and thrown away when they're no longer needed, with the idea of "honour", "patriotism" and "teamwork" used to condition them to their job.
Reply 16
Supply and demand, there are plenty of unqualified young men with a jingoistic bent who join the army. Anyone can become fit, learn to fire a gun and obey orders. Conversely footballers are paid so much because there literally are only like 10 guys in the world who can do stuff like, say, Messi can. Also when you reach a certain point in football you can easily become famous and then your brand makes its own money, clubs will sign you for the name as much as for the talent. Whereas with soldiers the whole point is that they're deindividualised.
Reply 17
Original post by BCUciaran
Exactly. People who view them as heroes are people conditioned by the media. Like SkyNews and The Sun who constantly show sob stories from soldiers and yet you never see a thing about the innocent children shot dead which happends almost daily!vPeople say some do horrible stuff but the majority are great. It is the other way around.

Half of them should be jailed not paid more. Here is why: (I know he is American but same thing in this situation really)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUvABcw6gIY

The Sun actually have a whole section of their website dedicated to them ... they're a joke.
Because football has a massive audience. There are millions, if not billions of people that watch football. For that reason, it gets televised, there are sponsors, they can appeal to fans and interest them in products. It has a global reach. Soldiers do not. How the hell are you gonna pay a footballer a soldiers wage? Who's gonna pay for it? Unless they made War into a sport and showed it on TV, and they built massive stadiums where the battles took place that could fit 100,000 people in to watch them kill each other gruesomely. it can't happen.

At the end of the day, a soldier's pay isn't that bad, and it's completely their own choice, so there ain't a problem. We're a country in debt, can't really afford to increase wages for our soldiers who are going half way across the world to take part in a fight that wasn't anything to do with us in the first place.

And not many footballers get paid 100-150k a week. Only the really good ones. The top 4 teams in the Premier League pay that kinda money to some of their players, the rest of the 16 teams don't. Neither don't the 24 teams in the championship. Or League 1, League 2, and the Conference league.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
well tell all those supporters who pay the over valued payments made to these 'men' who think running after a inflated rubber thing around a pitch..... they behave as if they are members of a noble profession....

many people say they have no money to pay the tax man blah blah blah,,,, if you have money for football matches then you have more than enough to pay for the over worked trainee clinicians (Gp's dentists nurses), lawyers, public servants and all the rest of them......

im not against football... but its getting abit silly these days.... at one time footballers were the members of the community who arranged teams and enjoyed the association. These days they leave their communities for the shires and are not role models for young men.....ah thats another thing, what on earth has it done for women,,,,,,,,, lets be honest,, most papers and news reports the immoral conduct of these 'men'

honestly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending