The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

come the 21st, my bank account will hit the £4600 mark, ohhh yeah :biggrin:
that feels good seeing as I've been about £1000 overdrawn for about 3 years or so until fairly recently.
Reply 141
Original post by Leavemyarcelona

Basically I'm 21 and I have approximately £1500 to my name when you combine both my savings account and my current account. Do you think that this is a reasonable amount for someone my age?

Basically, I'm going to absolutely working my arse off from now on, as I want to save up enough money to see me through university comfortably and then either start renting a flat or take out a mortgage when I finish my intended degree, at which point I will be 27 or 28 (I'm hoping to start a medical degree).

What about yourselves, how much money do you have, and are you saving for anything in particular? Or do you just like having a safety blanket, where you have the peace of mind that, if something goes wrong, you are pretty much covered?

EDIT: It's also worth mentioning that I'm currently on course to have saved up approximately £4000 by next summer, after which I can hopefully have a full time job and save up at least another couple of grand through the summer. At least, that's the plan anyway.

I am a Nigerian prince who has far too much money. If you give me all your bank details i will happily turn that £1500 into £6000000!
In other news, please don't report me for spam or trolling, it was a joke
-£1400 in my main account :ahee:
1k saved 15 years old my mum wont give me access to my account or else i'd have nothing XD
i own the bank:colone:
Original post by iPhone
Why use the £30K to pay off the fees?

Getting a student loan is the most sensible option (in comparison to a commercial loan and paying the fees yourself).

It's not a commercial loan it's hard cash mum and dad have saved for me for uni. I think it's mainly to do with the fact that once I finish uni I want to start my own business as a property developer and they said we will pay for your degree so when you finish uni you shall be debt free and do as you wish really
Aye and you shouldn't be making any apologies for it, you have no control over what circumstances you're born into.

Enjoy your wealth mate, big style. :cool:

Haha I suppose so but I do my bit for charity aswell :smile:
Reply 147
If I told you I'd have to pay someone to kill you :smile:
Original post by green chica
10K on travel (assuming I get to 30k by August...currently I have 4k for travel)
20K on paying for Uni. I don't like debt, so the only thing in my entire life that I will allow myself to get in debt for is a house. I won't even go into debt for a car. And people ridicule me for it, but debt is a large part of why we're in the financial mess we're in right not, so I say stfu.

Just might add that your uni 'debt' is the easier loan you will ever get in your life. You have to be earning enough to pay it back and the interest rates are very good.
I would suggest saving the £20k and investing it on something else, say a buy to let property, that money would be making more than the interest on your student loan.

But if you do hate debt, then fair enough, but remember there is always good debt and bad debt.

Video below explains it by Martin Lewis who runs Money Saving Expert. Might be a interesting watch.
Good Debt, Bad Debt
Reply 149
Somewhere between £3.9k and £4.1k.
I'm 17 years old.
Reply 150
Original post by Wakasmasood
It's not a commercial loan it's hard cash mum and dad have saved for me for uni. I think it's mainly to do with the fact that once I finish uni I want to start my own business as a property developer and they said we will pay for your degree so when you finish uni you shall be debt free and do as you wish really

But dude that's still the worse decision ever! Your better off getting the loan.

Why not start now as a property developer? You don't need a degree?
Reply 151
Original post by united2000
Just might add that your uni 'debt' is the easier loan you will ever get in your life. You have to be earning enough to pay it back and the interest rates are very good.
I would suggest saving the £20k and investing it on something else, say a buy to let property, that money would be making more than the interest on your student loan.

But if you do hate debt, then fair enough, but remember there is always good debt and bad debt.

Video below explains it by Martin Lewis who runs Money Saving Expert. Might be a interesting watch.
Good Debt, Bad Debt

Exactly - people need to research more before paying fees with their own money.
18. a grand. savings from summer working :smile:
Reply 153
100,000+ chf
Reply 154
thats quite a lot, why didn't you go to uni before?
£1,000,000,000........ I wish.... More like £100 :frown:
Minus Money.
Don't mean to show everyone up but i have £-0.20p
Reply 158
79p.I'm 16
about 80 quid.
hopefully.

Latest

Trending

Trending