The Student Room Group

The Cambridge 2012 Results Day Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MozzaTheUnready
I'm sure there's somewhere in Cambridge that will stock the ones I can't find (Gildas in particular is being rather elusive). It's great to chat to someone who shares a love of all things ASNaC! Most people think I'm mad/laugh when I talk about Snorri Sturluson and Bede...

I'm really missing my local library at the moment - they were brilliant at tracking down books for me. I remember getting one book borrowed from a library in Wales, which I was quite impressed by. S'pose the library where I am should be good for Old Norse stuff, but I don't think my Icelandic is up to it. :frown: But hey, University Library at Cambridge has or can get every book ever (*cough* that's not a major reason why I applied, goodness me no), and we've got the ASNAC library and college libraries to raid as well.

I'm so glad I've found people to geek out with over this stuff. No one I know appreciates the awesome of Snorri (a warrior king whose hobby is writing books about poetry, what's not to love?)
Reply 421
Original post by Caribbean Pride
Has track updated for anyone going to St. John's so far?

I'm waiting for st john's to update my track too! Do you know when abouts they'll do it?
Reply 422
Will proof-read Icelandic/Old Norse homework, £5 per sheet :biggrin:

(native speaker)
Original post by BiscuitGirl
I'm really missing my local library at the moment - they were brilliant at tracking down books for me. I remember getting one book borrowed from a library in Wales, which I was quite impressed by. S'pose the library where I am should be good for Old Norse stuff, but I don't think my Icelandic is up to it. :frown: But hey, University Library at Cambridge has or can get every book ever (*cough* that's not a major reason why I applied, goodness me no), and we've got the ASNAC library and college libraries to raid as well.

I'm so glad I've found people to geek out with over this stuff. No one I know appreciates the awesome of Snorri (a warrior king whose hobby is writing books about poetry, what's not to love?)

That's the best thing about Cambridge - the opportunity to revel in your geekiness!
Reply 424
Hey I'm an ex-poolee who was fished by Homerton. Just wondering if anyone's track has updated yet who is holding a Homerton offer? thanks :smile:
Reply 425

Wow, from Wales! : o That's pretty good!
How come you're in Iceland? I want to go there so much, it's such a fascinating place! I've always thought it unfair though, that Icelanders can understand us Swedes but not the other way around. xP
Omg, University Library :excited: ASNAC Library :zomg: Do you think they'll let us live in them?
I'm seriously miffed that none of my Swedish teachers through the years had Snorri Sturlasson or the Eddas as a topic! It should be in the curriculum D:
Original post by CSG
Wow, from Wales! : o That's pretty good!
How come you're in Iceland? I want to go there so much, it's such a fascinating place! I've always thought it unfair though, that Icelanders can understand us Swedes but not the other way around. xP
Omg, University Library :excited: ASNAC Library :zomg: Do you think they'll let us live in them?
I'm seriously miffed that none of my Swedish teachers through the years had Snorri Sturlasson or the Eddas as a topic! It should be in the curriculum D:

I'm on a gap year while I reapply, and since Icelandic is so similar to Old Norse I thought it'd be a very good way to impress the admissions tutors with my dedication to the subject. :smile: Well, that and I really wanted to see some volcanoes. Which I still haven't managed yet, actually. And I've got a job as an au pair here, so I can save up a bit of money for next year. It's such a wonderful country and I'd happily live here (once I learn the language a bit better!)

Your teachers should definitely have done the Eddas! Although would you have had to read them in translation? Because I know we weren't allowed to study translated texts for English. But you could definitely have done them for History classes or something.
Reply 427
Original post by deejayy
Do queens' have a fb group?

There's a queens' admissions page, but i was a bit wary of liking that to be honest . . tell me if you find anything!!

What did you apply for? (:
Reply 428
Original post by atwn
There's a queens' admissions page, but i was a bit wary of liking that to be honest . . tell me if you find anything!!

What did you apply for? (:

maths, you?

I found one, but I don't think I'll join as its for 2012 entry and I applied deferred.

Here's the link. http://www.facebook.com/groups/109363802515955/
Reply 429
Original post by deejayy
maths, you?

I found one, but I don't think I'll join as its for 2012 entry and I applied deferred.

Here's the link. http://www.facebook.com/groups/109363802515955/

Wow, that's amazing: maths is close to IMPOSSIBLE to get offered a place for (from what I know, which is very little) so WELL DONE!!

I'm applying for medicine (: still can't believe they liked me! Thanks for the link (: what are you planning to do on your gap year? Isn't Queens' one of the few places who likes maths gap years - did they give you any suggestions as to what to do?
Reply 430
Original post by atwn
Wow, that's amazing: maths is close to IMPOSSIBLE to get offered a place for (from what I know, which is very little) so WELL DONE!!

I'm applying for medicine (: still can't believe they liked me! Thanks for the link (: what are you planning to do on your gap year? Isn't Queens' one of the few places who likes maths gap years - did they give you any suggestions as to what to do?

No problem. What day did you go for an interview I might have spoken to you (unlikely though). I think medicine is probably harder to get in for than maths lol, but yeah they're both quite competitive. I am going to work (hopefully) at a software engineering place until december and then go travelling till june. Yeah the reason I picked Queens' is because they dont mind mathmos going on gap years.
Reply 431
Has track updated for anyone going to St. John's so far?

Nope

Did you get in then! Thats so good :smile:

Did they do the Skype interview in the end? I remember you asking about that!
Original post by notnow
Nope

Did you get in then! Thats so good :smile:

Did they do the Skype interview in the end? I remember you asking about that!

Yes I did get in. I had a telephone interview however. It went pretty well. Skype actually updated yesterday! Im quite happy now.
Reply 433
Yes I did get in. I had a telephone interview however. It went pretty well. Skype actually updated yesterday! Im quite happy now.

Something tells me we will be the only two black people at St Johns this whole cycle :tongue:
Reply 434
I'm on a gap year while I reapply, and since Icelandic is so similar to Old Norse I thought it'd be a very good way to impress the admissions tutors with my dedication to the subject. :smile: Well, that and I really wanted to see some volcanoes. Which I still haven't managed yet, actually. And I've got a job as an au pair here, so I can save up a bit of money for next year. It's such a wonderful country and I'd happily live here (once I learn the language a bit better!)

Your teachers should definitely have done the Eddas! Although would you have had to read them in translation? Because I know we weren't allowed to study translated texts for English. But you could definitely have done them for History classes or something.

Oh, wow, that is some dedication. : o Did you apply last year as well without success? If so I really feel like I've cheated my way in! :eek: But how awesome! Do you live in Reykjavik? One of my dream vacations would be to take my mother and one of my sisters with me and go for a riding trip there on icelandic horses (obviously :P).

Well it's different in the Swedish curriculum since we did study the evolution of the Nordic languages and got to read excerpts from other relevant texts in translation. But not very in-depth, sadly, and we had the most uninspiring text book in the history of text books... And without even mentioning the Eddas. :mad:
Original post by CSG
Oh, wow, that is some dedication. : o Did you apply last year as well without success? If so I really feel like I've cheated my way in! :eek: But how awesome! Do you live in Reykjavik? One of my dream vacations would be to take my mother and one of my sisters with me and go for a riding trip there on icelandic horses (obviously :P).

Well it's different in the Swedish curriculum since we did study the evolution of the Nordic languages and got to read excerpts from other relevant texts in translation. But not very in-depth, sadly, and we had the most uninspiring text book in the history of text books... And without even mentioning the Eddas. :mad:

I applied for English at Oxford last year, but got rejected after interview. So having been turned down once, I definitely feel like I've cheated my way in this time, it's not just you. :smile:

I live in Hafnarfjordur, which is like half an hour from Reykjavik on the bus, so I go there on my days off. I love Reykjavik, it's such a quiet capital city - my first Sunday here, I went to visit the medieval manuscripts at the Culture House and I think I saw about ten people the entire day? And oh, Icelandic horses are so lovely and fluffy, that would be such a good holiday!

Tchah, I am disappointed in the Swedish curriculum. *shakes head* Although the evolution of languages bit sounds really interesting, minus the rubbish textbook.
Original post by notnow
Something tells me we will be the only two black people at St Johns this whole cycle :tongue:

Lol. I highly doubt that. Not that anything is wrong with that though :wink:
Reply 437
I applied for English at Oxford last year, but got rejected after interview. So having been turned down once, I definitely feel like I've cheated my way in this time, it's not just you. :smile:

I live in Hafnarfjordur, which is like half an hour from Reykjavik on the bus, so I go there on my days off. I love Reykjavik, it's such a quiet capital city - my first Sunday here, I went to visit the medieval manuscripts at the Culture House and I think I saw about ten people the entire day? And oh, Icelandic horses are so lovely and fluffy, that would be such a good holiday!

Tchah, I am disappointed in the Swedish curriculum. *shakes head* Although the evolution of languages bit sounds really interesting, minus the rubbish textbook.

Hehe, well, there aren't that many Icelanders in total I guess. :P I've only heard good things about Reykjavik though, seems like a fun but cosy capital! And yes, I used to do horse-riding for about 5-6 years and I've ridden on Icelandic horses (although they're very tiny to be considered horses!) and they're very fun to ride. Stubborn but fun! :P Specially the tölt, their specail gait, is very relaxing. It feels a bit like floating through the air.

Well, it might not be the curriculum that's at fault but rather my teachers' interpretation of it. P:
Original post by AliceStrawbs
I have an offer to study History of Art at Downing college - does anyone else have an offer for History of Art, Downing or both? :smile:

English at Downing :smile:
Original post by RainDanceMaggie
English at Downing :smile:

Oh yay! Why did you choose Downing? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending