The Student Room Group

Is Britain "Too White" As A Country??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
lol, only on race obsessed TSR can one find treads like this
Original post by screenager2004

The thing is, it's not diversity that's important - it's tolerance. It's fine to have an ethnic majority as long as the representation in society is proportionate.

Would you say Japan is tolerant? People would argue it is insular and isolationist and that having a more diverse society would make it more tolerant. Yet there are others who say it's fine the way it is.
Reply 42
is Britain to white? what kind of a stupid question is this? it barely even justifies a response ... thats like asking is somalia to black ... its a black nation so of course not just as Britain is a white nation ..
Original post by Sharpshooter
Would you say Japan is tolerant? People would argue it is insular and isolationist and that having a more diverse society would make it more tolerant. Yet there are others who say it's fine the way it is.

Honestly I wouldn't feel comfortable speaking for the entire country - my own experiences have been very pleasant but I'm just one person's opinion with a very particular and biased personal experience.

Original post by Historophilia
Actually 10% of the population is non-white. The 14% figure is for those who are not White British, that other 4ish percent is White but not British.

Fair enough - my memory isn't too great!!
Reply 44
White Brits in this country would happily see a white only Britain. The racist attitudes towards ethnic minorities coming into this country has always existed within this society and will always remain. Race riots, inequality, discrimination against muslims by stopping from practising their religion, no holidays for other religious festivals like Eid and Diwali. There's attitude not just with White Brits but white people across the world that they are far superior to any other ethnicity. That is why racism still exists and is getting worse, plus that is why there's so much segregation because white people just cannot stand to see different colours, religions, traditions and cultures in their country.
Reply 45
Original post by Sharpshooter
I agree with this too but countries like France work well with it. I think the principal of mentioning race is central key issue we need to get rid of.

You know rightly the world is becoming mixed raced. Your country you are residing in Japan gets an awful lot of criticism from the world for not having a more diverse immigration policy and being isolationist.

Britain may have a "beige" majority at some point, as will many other western countries. But Japan will not have and this ticks some people off. I'm not so bothered but just saying.

I believe Japan is admired for this.
Original post by ajtiesto
White Brits in this country would happily see a white only Britain. The racist attitudes towards ethnic minorities coming into this country has always existed within this society and will always remain. Race riots, inequality, discrimination against muslims by stopping from practising their religion, no holidays for other religious festivals like Eid and Diwali. There's attitude not just with White Brits but white people across the world that they are far superior to any other ethnicity. That is why racism still exists and is getting worse, plus that is why there's so much segregation because white people just cannot stand to see different colours, religions, traditions and cultures in their country.

Racism isn't exclusive to white people or predominantly white countries, white people are not the sole reason that racism still exists.
Reply 47

you mean 'muslims stoping from practising their religion' as in not wanting them to blow themselves and others up in trains etc ?:smile:
Reply 48
No, we're far too liberal and multi-cultural if anything.
Reply 49

You crazy?! If anything, from the evidence i have witnessed it is the minorities that are hugely racist themselves. Is that why you can have black-only youth clubs, after all- positive discrimination is discrimination nonetheless.

Fair enough - my memory isn't too great!!

Don't worry, they're easily confused.

BIB: Is this actually such a big deal? You and others say that as if it is evil and a crime. For many people, I'm pretty sure, being white = being English. And this is England, is it not? It is so horrific for people to want to be surrounded by their own people in their own country? I'm not saying there shouldn't be any ethnic minorities at all, i'm just saying England is where the English live, English in most cases means being white and, in all cases, having an English culture. You can't really deny that. So by saying Britain (England in this case) is too white is essentially saying England is too English ... which is just :rolleyes:
When race truly stops mattering, then there will be no variation in race representation in any point of society.

14% of the population is non white:
If race did not matter then
14% of the prison population would be non white
14% of MPs would be non white
14% of doctors would be non white
14% of army recruits would be non white
14% of hospital patients would be non white

There's always going to be variation, based on culture and socio-economic differences. While ethnic minorities do make up a larger proportion of the prison population, that's because there are more ethnic minorities in poverty, not because the 'system' is racist. The vast majority of white collar criminals are probably affluent white people.
MPs are elected by the population, I would hope on merit, I do't know what you want us to do there.
Also, are you implying that the army rejects ethnic minority recruits or that hospitals reject ethnic minority patients? Why are people intent on social engineering? Why can't they just let things be?
Original post by pol pot noodles
There's always going to be variation, based on culture and socio-economic differences. While ethnic minorities do make up a larger proportion of the prison population, that's because there are more ethnic minorities in poverty, not because the 'system' is racist. The vast majority of white collar criminals are probably affluent white people.
MPs are elected by the population, I would hope on merit, I do't know what you want us to do there.
Also, are you implying that the army rejects ethnic minority recruits or that hospitals reject ethnic minority patients? Why are people intent on social engineering? Why can't they just let things be?

Oh dear oh dear, no you seem to be completely missing the point.

If there is a variation in prison population, its because there are more ethnic minorities in poverty - therefore we need to address why ethnic minorities are more likely to be in poverty. If we solve why they are more likely to be in poverty then the prison population won't have a disproportionate number of minorities.

Etc. When we have social equality there will be even ratios of populations.
Reply 54
Britain is a racist country and white Brits have a big problem seeing blacks and asians "stealing their jobs" or bringing in their own "backward" culture here. One of the most racist nations on this earth and the people think they're far more superior just because they're white and born here. Well guess what blacks and asians were born here too like me and I will always put my religion and roots first. Being British doesn't mean anything, the society is damaged, the culture is filthy and the people don't even know what being British is and then they say this is they're country. Get real!
Britain is a racist country and white Brits have a big problem seeing blacks and asians "stealing their jobs" or bringing in their own "backward" culture here. One of the most racist nations on this earth and the people think they're far more superior just because they're white and born here. Well guess what blacks and asians were born here too like me and I will always put my religion and roots first. Being British doesn't mean anything, the society is damaged, the culture is filthy and the people don't even know what being British is and then they say this is they're country. Get real!

Well aren't you lovely. :rolleyes: With that attitude and tongue, have you any wonder why people find it difficult to accept you?
Original post by Gnobe
There's a lot of talk recently about how diversity is necessary, but how far do we go? And how do we judge what is a good and strong/positive multiracial country?

This country is not too white.
Reply 57

Lets be frank, you aren't helping yourself nor your culture/beliefs/roots/race here. Britain one of the most racist in the world? Really?! And what do you base that evidence on, lived in any other foreign countries?
Oh dear oh dear, no you seem to be completely missing the point.

If there is a variation in prison population, its because there are more ethnic minorities in poverty - therefore we need to address why ethnic minorities are more likely to be in poverty. If we solve why they are more likely to be in poverty then the prison population won't have a disproportionate number of minorities.

Etc. When we have social equality there will be even ratios of populations.

I wasn't missing the point, because that wasn't the point you were making. You were pretty much implying that any variation was down to institutional racism.
Reply 59
OP, no, it's not "too white". That being said, I went to Exeter a couple of weeks ago, never seen so many white people in one place, it was rather....inhibiting.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending