The Student Room Group

Do YOU know who Joseph Kony is?

Scroll to see replies

Isn't he the guy that killed his wife and then he was found innocent? Is that why everyone wants him arrested now?
Original post by Miracle Day
300 years? Someone failed the British Empire in History.

Typo. It should have read 400 years, yes there was beginning up to 500 years ago, shall I go into my knowledge of it? I have been to an island in Africa (St James Island in the Gambia) from where they shipped slaves from to the Americas so know about slaves and the like...do you want an essay on it?

With me having not slept for 3 days I think you'll excuse a small error.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rascacielos
Why should you personally care about anyone but yourself, by that reasoning? By the same reasoning, why, if you fell ill, got into financial difficulty or just generally wanted some support, should anybody care about you? :holmes:

Sure, bad is subjective, but I'd struggle to find someone with a coherent argument that it is something positive.

i don't expect anyone else to care about me, however i understand my parents always will and i am grateful for that.

it genuinely amazes me that people care so much, my consultant phoned me this morning, and i really am astounded that he cares so much, ok he probably doesn't care that much but the fact he took the time to phone me i find very odd :s-smilie:

i wish i didn't find it odd and i thought caring about other people was normal.
Original post by Miracle Day
It's called being a human Miss Hitler.

how dare i not give a toss about people iv never met :fuhrer:
Original post by MutantGecko

First, I've given you my last positive rating as some moron has negged you and...

You've every right to not give a toss. We live a free society, this thread and forum is unfortunately full of people showing their beliefs down everyone elses throat.

As come to think of it, do I give a toss about it? Nope.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Yes, I knew about him before the video, I was rather surprised when it came up as a video :lol:

but yea... of course the video is having an impact. Everyone is suddenly a social activist :teehee:

Lol, im guessing you've seen that picture :awesome:

:lol:
Original post by callum9999
I personally can't wait until the 20th April and see how many of the seemingly millions of people who clicked they are attending that stupid event actually do turn up. I'm guessing not a lot... (And rather curious to see how the various councils will react to this technically illegal behaviour).

Well said mate. Lets face it, more people are interested in their alcohol, girls etc they're not gonna protest at this event :lol:
At least someone is in touch with reality. 20th April? I'll be in University during the day and the pub afterwards as I do every Friday.

Protest? Like a democratic protest has ever worked in Britain in recent times. Even if you mobilised 1 million people, if the government don't want to do anything, they won't.
I've seen enough of him on Konybook.
Apparently 69% of people have heard of Kony and a week ago that question would have yielded a response of... 10%?

If 69% are saying they've seriously heard of him before this hype then I think we've got a forum full of people talking out their rear ends.
Reply 49
People believe the video without even researching, and then they have the nerve to try and force it upon others. It truly annoys me, the video is truly a 'scam'. I'm not saying Kony doesn't exist - just search it.
Reply 50
I voted "yes". The Invisible Children turned up to our Student Union about 4 years ago. I was having some drinks with some friends and they approached us and asked us to come to their talk, and none of us had any idea what it was about.
I just remember how disturbed I was by the Joseph Kony video, it actually made me cry. I have to admit, I've not heard much about the situation again until recently.
Most of the people who go on about him don't even know where Uganda is... just an internet trend, no one will care in a few days.
LOL at all the people who think donating money will help. If you try and arrest Kony, his little child soldiers will start shooting at you and then what? You gonna create a pile of children's corpses to stop children being killed? bahahaha

Must point out I knew about Kony before this ridiculous video, having spent 6 months in Uganda myself.
i don't expect anyone else to care about me, however i understand my parents always will and i am grateful for that.

it genuinely amazes me that people care so much, my consultant phoned me this morning, and i really am astounded that he cares so much, ok he probably doesn't care that much but the fact he took the time to phone me i find very odd :s-smilie:

i wish i didn't find it odd and i thought caring about other people was normal.

Well, if you mean medical consultant, then chances are he phoned you because that's his job and he's getting paid for it.

I find it worrying though that you don't care about anybody but those closest to you. Without wanting to sound overly emotional, does it not affect you at all that these children, more than half your age are being taken from their parents and turned into cold blooded killers? Sure, it's not the same kind of 'care' as you feel towards your family but still...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by cgraham15
how about kidnapping, child soldiers, children being sexually exploited...?

All things that the Ugandan Army do as well, and are being funded by the Invisible Children Foundation...
Original post by Dr. Bassman
Most of the people who go on about him don't even know where Uganda is... just an internet trend, no one will care in a few days.

Original post by Rooster523
LOL at all the people who think donating money will help. If you try and arrest Kony, his little child soldiers will start shooting at you and then what? You gonna create a pile of children's corpses to stop children being killed? bahahaha

Must point out I knew about Kony before this ridiculous video, having spent 6 months in Uganda myself.

It saddens me that you, and others, have so little faith in human nature. Sure, it's an internet 'phase', it will pass, but that doesn't stop people caring. The fact that it's passed through casual, social means - that is, Facebook and Youtube - doesn't yield the conclusion that the video campaign is something trivial. People will move on, only a handful will do something positive to help the campaign, but I'm not so cynical (and I surprise myself saying this) to believe that people will just forget. They might not do anything but they won't forget. And why on earth does it matter, pray tell, that people know the physical location of Uganda (for the purposes of supporting this campaign at least)? Blimey, if you're going to be so doom and gloom about it, at least take one positive away: millions of people across the world will now be able to put on extra African country on the map.

And for all your criticisms of the project, I don't see you taking steps to do anything. And not that I necessarily expect you to - not everybody can or knows how. Sure, I don't doubt that the campaign has its flaws and ultimately I expect it will be many years before Kony is captured, if he ever is, but that doesn't remove the fact that these guys really do care and are doing everything they can to help. Let me put it this way: your 6 months in Uganda has had no more positive effect than the campaigners have but that doesn't make what you did any less commendable.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 56
in west uganda, born n' raised
on the battlefield is where i spent most of my days
chillin' out, maxin' reloadin' all cool
and taking some children out of their school

when a couple of liberals started making me fret
started making trouble on the internet
they started on campaign and my men got demanded,
they said "you're movin' with your kids to a barracks in sudan"

i whistled for a vehicle and when it came near
it was a school bus with a bunch of armed kids in the rear
if anything i could say this bus was rare
but i though "nah, forget it. you're kids are out of here"

i pulled up in sundan 'bout 7 or 8
and i yelled to museveni "umad, smell you later"
look at my army composed of all my homies
to sit at my throne, cause im joseph mother****in' kony
Original post by JohnC2211
All things that the Ugandan Army do as well, and are being funded by the Invisible Children Foundation...

Sometimes two wrongs do make a right. Look at the British army in the First and Second World wars. Far form perfect in terms of their technique and morality, but they were still funded by those who believed that the ends (defeating Germany, winning the war) would justify the [flawed] means.
Original post by ChapelTom
First, I've given you my last positive rating as some moron has negged you and...

You've every right to not give a toss. We live a free society, this thread and forum is unfortunately full of people showing their beliefs down everyone elses throat.

As come to think of it, do I give a toss about it? Nope.

I understand where you're both coming from.

Nevertheless, thank the galaxies and nebulae that you both are not in a position of any power. You really should not be in any position that directly affects hundreds, even millions of people - just snuggle up right there on your sofa and don't you worry about anything else. You'd more likely cause more harm than good if you did.
Reply 59
Original post by Rascacielos
Sometimes two wrongs do make a right. Look at the British army in the First and Second World wars. Far form perfect in terms of their technique and morality, but they were still funded by those who believed that the ends (defeating Germany, winning the war) would justify the [flawed] means.

Invisible Children want to stop Kony and his organisation (even though right now there is apparently peace) because he uses child soldiers, rapes and kills innocent people. The Ugandan army do the exact same thing.

The Nazi germans killed millions of jews, can't remember the British army doing anything like that...

So no, two wrongs do not make a right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending