The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

reputation and class.

Hello ppl,

I need some help.

I have heard a lot of good things about the University of Derby, but i am not so sure about its reputation and tradition , as a learning institution.

Is Derby a respected institution , and how do employers view UOD graduates? Do they have good links with industry? What type of students go there? Brilliant students , bad students or people who want to get away from the city?

Please shed some light..

Cheers,
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
I am a firm believer that it is what you study, rather than where you study. If you choose a respected degree and work your arse off to get a first; this will shine on your CV.

I am currently in a foundation year, and many of the students are very lax when it comes to studying independantly; hence why their grades are ****.
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
Reply 2
Im currently in Derby and had I known what it's like before I applied I would've gone somewhere else. Im currently applying to other unis and for example uni of Exeter did not even know that Derby had a uni. Also Cardiff didnt know where Derby is.

Derby has almost no reputation and it is not an old university. However the lecturers are nice and the atmosphere is friendly. A lot of the students say that you only end up in derby if youre foreign and didnt know what it was like (like me :P ), if you wanna stay close to home or if you're failing at life.
The University of Derby is a top university in computer science, from what i heard anyways.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Helmi
Im currently in Derby and had I known what it's like before I applied I would've gone somewhere else. Im currently applying to other unis and for example uni of Exeter did not even know that Derby had a uni. Also Cardiff didnt know where Derby is.

Derby has almost no reputation and it is not an old university. However the lecturers are nice and the atmosphere is friendly. A lot of the students say that you only end up in derby if youre foreign and didnt know what it was like (like me :P ), if you wanna stay close to home or if you're failing at life.

Otoh I'm currently final year at derby (buxton) and we've got transfers up who did fd's at some higher rated (but nothing spectacular) southern unis and they say it's a lot more professionally run and the courses aren't full of people getting pissed up all the time.

There's imo a dosser factor for unis that have low entry requirements, but tbh you even get that in the russell group.

I'm a mature student and fall into the category of wanting to go somewhere a cheap bus ride from home anyway.
Reply 5
Generally more mature students than at russell group unis like nottingham, matures are more likely to go to a uni close to where they live than travel to another part of the country than 18 year old/ sixthform leavers.
Reply 6
Original post by Helmi

I know this post is really old but I feel that this is fairly unfair. Yes, Derby might not have the best reputation or all courses as it's a new uni but it is really not that bad!

If you look at the Guardian League Tables (yes, I know they are not 100%) but for Law... (I have just graduated from the LL.B) Derby is 35 where Cardiff is 29 so tbh not much different. I have also seen some of your other posts and notice that you have transferred to Swansea for law... which is 60th on the table!!!!

I am from the UK, live about 2 and a half hours from Derby and am certainly not "failing at life." I chose Derby because it had friendly lecturers, a nice atmosphere, and heard good things before starting. I certainly don't regret any part of it... I graduated with first class honours and am doing well on the LPC, as well (or better) than people who went to "better" universities and done of them had the experience that I did on the LL.B :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending