The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

- Make you do lots of background research of the few topics you might like to research so you can pick out the topic with the most evidence/research/references to back it up.

- Avoid niche topics at all costs since it takes far more time to research the implications of Nazi eugenics (my EPQ) then something like the formation of the NHS.

- Keep your research log overtly detailed and adhere to the EPQ mark scheme and constantly harass your supervisor.

- You could do an essay and some diagrams integrated into the word document. But I do not how to do an EPQ using artefacts since our college only allows us to do essays.
Reply 141
Just finished mine :biggrin:
I've done it on whether asthma is overdiagnosed in the UK and what the effects of that could be. Bit of a weird topic, but it was the only thing I could think of :colondollar:

My advice to anyone doing an EP would be to make the question/ title very specific, as mentioned above, and most importantly do it on something that really interests you and that you might enjoy - there's no way I could have written 6000 words on anything I didn't enjoy writing about!
Reply 142
Hey
I'm in year 13 currently doing an EPQ into Space Medicine.

My title is 'Should the General Public be Allowed to Travel in Space' and I'm focusing the essay in terms of infections in space flight.

It's so fascinating!
Reply 143
I'm just finishing my EPQ the hand in deadline is friday :eek: My project is looking at autism and its causes. I found it was a really good thing to talk about at interview especially because I applied to all PBL schools, but generally it has been a good learning experience :smile:
Reply 144
I'm doing an EPQ titled 'Are stem cells the cure for diabetes' or something like that. I've done research bt not fully started yet! My school gives EPQ people minimal help, it seems that a lot of the marks are for writing about your progress. Could some of the people who have done it and got A/A* or whatever grade give me a few tips etc about the process. I think the actual project will be okay in the end
Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 145
Original post by greenfro
I'm doing an EPQ titled 'Are stem cells the cure for diabetes' or something like that. I've done research bt not fully started yet! My school gives EPQ people minimal help, it seems that a lot of the marks are for writing about your progress. Could some of the people who have done it and got A/A* or whatever grade give me a few tips etc about the process. I think the actual project will be okay in the end
Thank you :biggrin:

I've done mine on the cures for thalassemia, changed it from the "what causes morality", I must say my new topic is much more interesting it goes into stem cells and bone maroow transplantation and gene therapy, I've done my notes (7 hours every single day I spent on it for the past week) , need to finalise my question/title and plan my essay tomorrow and hopefully should all be done and dusted by next week.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 146
Original post by Besakt
I've done mine on the cures for thalassemia, changed it from the "what causes morality", I must say my new topic is much more interesting it goes into stem cells and bone maroow transplantation and gene therapy, I've done my notes (7 hours every single day I spent on it for the past week) , need to finalise my question/title and plan my essay tomorrow and hopefully should all be done and dusted by next week.

Wow that sounds really good, and you've clearly done a lot of work on it!! Yeah your new title seems great, everyone says its best to keep it narrow so you can go into detail! There's so much potential with stem cells! Now I've started I'm finding it really interesting :smile:
Reply 147
Wow that sounds really good, and you've clearly done a lot of work on it!! Yeah your new title seems great, everyone says its best to keep it narrow so you can go into detail! There's so much potential with stem cells! Now I've started I'm finding it really interesting :smile:

That's the thing though I've done alot of work but have kept a very poor diary of what I've done, and my supervisor marks it who hates me with a passion so I'll probably get a crap mark. :frown:
Reply 148
Original post by Besakt
That's the thing though I've done alot of work but have kept a very poor diary of what I've done, and my supervisor marks it who hates me with a passion so I'll probably get a crap mark. :frown:

I wouldn't worry too much, seems like you can make a lot of the other stuff up, just read the mark scheme and write what they want to hear :smile: And I think they get sent off regulation! Sounds to me like yours is going to be pretty awesome!!
Reply 149
I wouldn't worry too much, seems like you can make a lot of the other stuff up, just read the mark scheme and write what they want to hear :smile: And I think they get sent off regulation! Sounds to me like yours is going to be pretty awesome!!

Yeah I think I'm going to have to do that, just sneakily write waht they want to hear. I still need to start my 5000 word essay. :eek:
Reply 150
Original post by Besakt
Yeah I think I'm going to have to do that, just sneakily write waht they want to hear. I still need to start my 5000 word essay. :eek:

Me too I've only researched and an essay will be hard as I've not done essays since GCSE really!!
Reply 151
Me too I've only researched and an essay will be hard as I've not done essays since GCSE really!!

I think I'll be okay with the essay as I do economics and get set 3/4 essays a week so I'm pretty use to them. :redface:
Do you have to give a presentation?
Reply 152
Original post by Besakt
I think I'll be okay with the essay as I do economics and get set 3/4 essays a week so I'm pretty use to them. :redface:
Do you have to give a presentation?

I couldn't do an essay subject, the thought of 3/4 essays a week is not cool!! Yeah we have to do a presentation once we have done the essay and present it to other people doing the EPQ (which is only about 10) I'm not worried about that, I don't mind presenting, as I find it easier to explain!
Reply 153
I couldn't do an essay subject, the thought of 3/4 essays a week is not cool!! Yeah we have to do a presentation once we have done the essay and present it to other people doing the EPQ (which is only about 10) I'm not worried about that, I don't mind presenting, as I find it easier to explain!

:eek: We have to present it to the school governors and head teacher and parents and other important people. And then they ask really difficult questions.
Reply 154
Original post by Besakt
:eek: We have to present it to the school governors and head teacher and parents and other important people. And then they ask really difficult questions.

Seems they have been nice at my school! I've had to do that once before and it was fine in the end! They want to be nice so they will ask you good questions and generally they don't know much about the presentation so don't worry!!
Reply 155
Seems they have been nice at my school! I've had to do that once before and it was fine in the end! They want to be nice so they will ask you good questions and generally they don't know much about the presentation so don't worry!!

I hope they are clueless :lol:.
Subbed- im planning to do the EPQ soon.
Anyone got any tips for getting an A*? :biggrin:
Reply 158
Original post by orange.bananna
Hi,
I've applied for dentistry not medicine, but I found that the EPQ was beneficial. I did my EPQ related to dentistry, so it gave me something to talk about at interview and it was something I could speak about with confidence.

Just as a warning - my initial 'plan' was that I would complete it over the summer between year 12 and 13, but by the time I had done work exp, voluntary work, UKCAT and just relaxed, it didn't happen. So during September and October while studying A2's and applying to Uni, I had to fit in a 90 hour project! Lets just say there were a few late nights, but I definetly learnt my lesson and I did enjoy carrying out the project!

Key thing, do it on a topic that interests you - you will enjoy the whole process more!

Hi what did you do your topic about? I want to do a dental-related epq topic but i cant seem to find a suitable one :s-smilie:
Original post by 03zara
Hi what did you do your topic about? I want to do a dental-related epq topic but i cant seem to find a suitable one :s-smilie:

I did the oh so original 'should fluoride be added to drinking water?', but it was really interesting -discovered some controversies. I spoke about it at all my interviews though and had a bit of a discussion with the interviewers about it, so it didn't seem to matter that the debate has been going on about it forever!

Latest

Trending

Trending