The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 4 - Tectonics (and structuring!)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flying_ifan
Out of the top of your head? :yikes:

Seems like I need some revising here... :ashamed2:

Well to be perfectly honest I was kind of exaggerating; it started off with less than half of those on the list, and I couldn't quite place my finger on some of the others I couldn't quite remember, so I filled in the gaps using a rather helpful wikipedia article. :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by PurpleJazz
Well to be perfectly honest I was kind of exaggerating; it started off with less than half of those on the list, and I couldn't quite place my finger on some of the others I couldn't quite remember, so I filled in the gaps using a rather helpful wikipedia article. :P

Useful article indeed :smile:
Reply 22
this is so helpful! I am re sitting this exam and it was a similar question in the januray exam.
Has anyone thought of any theories/models and how to use them yet? This is the bit I struggle with!
Responses are my weaker point but the June 2010 paper was very similar the only difference being that our steer refers to the EFFECTIVENESS too. As for the people I think this will come quite naturally governments, NGO's etc basically anyone involved in the response! Contrasting locations means they want variety - MEDC/NIC/LEDC cities vs rural, large pops and small pops. But yeah defo going to need the parks model and the hazard response model i reckon and to have earthquakes/volcanoes and tsunamis within the 4 points of enquiry.

Reckon going to be a Discuss Q maybe: Discuss the effectiveness of a range of responses used by different groups of people to deal with tectonic hazards in a variety of locations.

What do you guys think?
For anyone interested, my geo teacher and the class came up with a brief plan for the exam...

1. Introduction: discuss the volcanic and seismic hazards involved

2. Methodology in table format

3. Different factors affecting responses: physical (magnitude, location, extent), human (economic, infrastructure, political, communication)

4. Variety of responses (divided into immediate and short term)

5. Conclusion

We also came up with a list of "groups of people" to be talked about throughout the essay, including individuals, emergency services, NGO's, governments, scientists and vulcanologists, as well as the obvious LDC, MDC distinction.

Its pretty vague and simple for the moment, but thought it might be of use (or a source of constructive criticism :tongue:)

Like it. We are going through the pre release after study leave in a couple of weeks but we've been doing some past q's and our structure is generally
Intro - key terms defined + case studies
Methodology
Route of Enquiry - 1/2/3/4 (normally time features somewhere)
Conclusion

so quite similar
Reply 26
Original post by winningjojo

Reckon going to be a Discuss Q maybe: Discuss the effectiveness of a range of responses used by different groups of people to deal with tectonic hazards in a variety of locations.

What do you guys think?

It was a discuss question in january so the chances of it being a discuss quesion again :frown:
Responses are my weaker point but the June 2010 paper was very similar the only difference being that our steer refers to the EFFECTIVENESS too. As for the people I think this will come quite naturally governments, NGO's etc basically anyone involved in the response! Contrasting locations means they want variety - MEDC/NIC/LEDC cities vs rural, large pops and small pops. But yeah defo going to need the parks model and the hazard response model i reckon and to have earthquakes/volcanoes and tsunamis within the 4 points of enquiry.

What do you guys think?

This looks pretty good to me. If not that question, it'll defo be very similar :smile:
I reckon it could also be "evaluate"

Like it. We are going through the pre release after study leave in a couple of weeks but we've been doing some past q's and our structure is generally
Intro - key terms defined + case studies
Methodology
Route of Enquiry - 1/2/3/4 (normally time features somewhere)
Conclusion

so quite similar

What does the whole "Route of Enquiry - 1/2/3/4" thing involve? Looks interesting :rolleyes:
This looks pretty good to me. If not that question, it'll defo be very similar :smile:
I reckon it could also be "evaluate"

What does the whole "Route of Enquiry - 1/2/3/4" thing involve? Looks interesting :rolleyes:

Basically the route of enquiry is the main discussion of the argument. my teachers suggest we have 4 different arguments for why whatever the scenario is, is the case. For example taken the question i posted about our pre release you could take the argument as being. 1. Nature of Hazard affects effectiveness of response
2. Level of Development '' ''
3. Time '' ''
4. Magnitude/frequency of event '' ''
These would then be the four areas you concentrate on and discuss why the effectiveness varies. Within in them you include the key concepts. Taking the points I have included above for example hazard profiles will defo come into the nature of the hazard.

Its just another angle of structuring a generic answer to ANY u4 question as we've been doing practise before the pre release came out as our class is yr 12 excelled. Hope that helps :smile: I think by doing it this way you know you defo will include everything wanted on the mark scheme and you just have to worry about how good what you say in each section is !
:smile:
Yep, agree an 'evaluate' question would be just as likely. Would be very happy if my prediction came up though. psychic powers maybe? :P
Original post by jemwallis
It was a discuss question in january so the chances of it being a discuss quesion again :frown:

True but they can only ask us to explain/evaluate/discuss. The steer doesn't lean itself to an explain because its not concerning the physical geography a such (how things are formed etc) So if they want to stay away from discuss they will ask evaluate and the technique would be the same other than in the conclusion we would have to come to a definite conclusion in terms of what we thought to be the most important factor influencing the response and why.
Reply 31
I'm finding it difficult to imagine what models could be relevant to the focus. Perhaps the DNA Model of Complexity, or the 'Swiss Cheese' Model, any ideas?
Original post by latasauce
I'm finding it difficult to imagine what models could be relevant to the focus. Perhaps the DNA Model of Complexity, or the 'Swiss Cheese' Model, any ideas?

Someone mentioned the Parks model and I think that seems the most relevant. What exactly is the DNA Model of Complexity?
Reply 33
1) Disaster risk equation
2) Degg model
3) Parks response curve
4) Disaster Crunch model
5) Disaster management cycle

these are the models that ive been told to look at

and yeah, an explanation of the DNA model would be helpful :P never heard of it before!
Original post by Ps.
1) Disaster risk equation
2) Degg model
3) Parks response curve
4) Disaster Crunch model
5) Disaster management cycle

these are the models that ive been told to look at

and yeah, an explanation of the DNA model would be helpful :P never heard of it before!

haven't heard of the degg model or the disaster crunch model either :/ what are they?
haven't heard of the degg model or the disaster crunch model either :/ what are they?

Maybe he means the Dreggs Model?
Reply 36
Original post by ninegrandstudent

Degg's Model = Dregg's Model

There's some confusion over his name, I was told with confidence that Degg is the correct spelling - I'm sure they won't penalize for such a minor error regardless.

The DNA Model of Complexity shows that factors which affect the impacts of a tectonic hazard are inextricably linked, much like two strands of DNA. Basically, everything affects everything else. I can't find anything about it on google, but as far as I'm aware it was coined by David Petley of Durham University.
Reply 37
Original post by ninegrandstudent

Im a she and yeah, its the Dreggs model but thats how its supposed to be spelt
Reply 38
Hey guys.

We have only looked over it a little so far but this is the structure/case studies discussed up to now (not sure how helpful this will be!)

1. Intro - define key terms and introduce case studies
2. Analysis
2.1 Hazard profile affecting effectiveness - magnitude, areal extent, frequency ect.
2.2 Vulnerability - wealth, infrastructure, population, topography
2.3 capacity to cope - wealth, technology, gov salience ect.

Case studies - Indian ocean tsunami, tohoku EQ and tsunami, Kashmir EQ, Haiti EQ, Kilauea eruption, nyirangongo eruption...

Ooohh and not forgetting the parks model!

Feel free to 'constructively' criticise :smile:
Original post by Ps.
Im a she and yeah, its the Dreggs model but thats how its supposed to be spelt

Sorry, was on my phone so couldn't see the gender thing - though 'he' would be nicer to say that 'it' but sorry if I've offended you.

Also, as it is spelt Dreggs in the textbooks we're given, I just assumed it was a typo - sorry! I assume they wouldn't penalise for the two different spellings?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending