The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't know if this is the right thread, but maybe someone can help me out.
I am completing my SAAS application and I don't know which option should I choose. I live in Romania and hopefully I'll study at Glasgow Caledonian Uni.
My course start date is 10 september 2012.

Have you been / expect to be, ordinarily resident in Scotland on 01 August 2012*
Yes No
Have you been / do you expect to be, ordinarily resident in the UK (and Islands) continuously since 01 August 2009*
Yes No

So, what should I choose at these two answers?

Thank you. :smile:
Original post by remuskittles
I don't know if this is the right thread, but maybe someone can help me out.
I am completing my SAAS application and I don't know which option should I choose. I live in Romania and hopefully I'll study at Glasgow Caledonian Uni.
My course start date is 10 september 2012.

Have you been / expect to be, ordinarily resident in Scotland on 01 August 2012*
Yes No
Have you been / do you expect to be, ordinarily resident in the UK (and Islands) continuously since 01 August 2009*
Yes No

So, what should I choose at these two answers?

Thank you. :smile:

This may be helpful, but if not I'd suggest that you post a separate thread in the Student Financial Support sub-forum: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/simple-guide-to-residence.pdf
I currently have a part time job and my yearly wage is £5,040. I get around £420 a month.

Am I going to be taxed for this?
I think if it's over 3k pa you can be taxed, not sure on this though.
Reply 1444
No, you shouldn't be taxed, just make sure you get a proper tax code and not an emergency one. If it's your first job or for some other reason you don't have a P45, you'll need to complete a P46. You can earn up to £8105 per year without paying tax. You might pay some national insurance if you earn more than £146 a week in any one week (for example over the summer if you do extra hours) but they'll be fairly minimal. See:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/personal-allow.htm for tax personal allowances

and http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/intro/basics.htm for National Insurance
Reply 1445
No, you won't be taxed. I earn more than that and I don't get taxed.
Reply 1446
You may well be taxed, in which case you would need to claim it back.

If you've just started the job, ring HMRC and tell them not to tax you as you won't earn more than the tax threshold.

Personal allowance is over £7k iirc.
Reply 1447
Original post by Aack
You may well be taxed, in which case you would need to claim it back.

If you've just started the job, ring HMRC and tell them not to tax you as you won't earn more than the tax threshold.

HMRC do not deduct your tax, your employer deducts tax on their behalf and it is them you should take it up with. Phoning HMRC will achieve very little. If the OP was being taxed, she should take it up with her employer/HR, check her tax code and probably complete a P46 (since that's the likely reason). Once your tax code is updated correctly, you will automatically receive the tax back in your pay slip and there is no need to "reclaim it" unless the tax year has finished.
Reply 1448
Original post by Pkysam
HMRC do not deduct your tax, your employer deducts tax on their behalf and it is them you should take it up with. Phoning HMRC will achieve very little. If the OP was being taxed, she should take it up with her employer/HR, check her tax code and probably complete a P46 (since that's the likely reason). Once your tax code is updated correctly, you will automatically receive the tax back in your pay slip and there is no need to "reclaim it" unless the tax year has finished.

Well, my numerous experiences with the advice I gave would beg to differ :tongue:
Thanks for the replies.
I filled out a P46 when I started my job.
I am due to get paid on Friday so I'll see what happens....
Reply 1450
Original post by chocolate buttons
Thanks for the replies.
I filled out a P46 when I started my job.
I am due to get paid on Friday so I'll see what happens....

Despite AAck's "numerous experiences" he is still incorrect. Employers make deductions through PAYE, which they then pay to HMRC. HMRC do not, as he suggests, have access to every employers payroll system in the country, that would be a logistical nightmare. What would you do if you were a small shop? Phone HMRC and give them your computer passwords? I am not sure how you think this could possibly work. If employers use an incorrect tax code, they will make the wrong deductions. Once they correct your tax code this will then be rectified. I'm not sure who he phones at HMRC, but I can assure you they will only suggest what I have done.

Short answer, you shouldn't be taxed, but if you are just check your tax code. If it's an emergency code (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/emergency-code.htm) then speak with your employer. Sometimes it takes a month or two for them to sort it out, but don't panic, once it's sorted you'll get all the money back automatically through PAYE.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Pkysam

Original post by Aack
Well, my numerous experiences with the advice I gave would beg to differ :tongue:

HMRC are able to adjust tax codes (by issuing a revised coding notice), but so can employers if they receive a correctly completed form P46.

Let's not make this into unhelpful argument please, guys. :smile:

Original post by Aack

£8,105 now, for 2011/12.
(edited 11 years ago)
I DID get taxed.
Does anyone know what I can do about this?
I DID get taxed.
Does anyone know what I can do about this?

Check with your employer whether they've processed your form P46 yet; if they haven't, find out when they will do as you should get a refund via the payroll system at that point.
Original post by Illusionary
Check with your employer whether they've processed your form P46 yet; if they haven't, find out when they will do as you should get a refund via the payroll system at that point.

Okay thank you :-)
Okay thank you :-)

Actually, one more point - is the tax code shown on your payslip "BR", or something else? If different, what is it?
Original post by Illusionary
Actually, one more point - is the tax code shown on your payslip "BR", or something else? If different, what is it?

Yes it is BR
Yes it is BR

:yy: Go with what I said above then.
How long does it generally take the government to give tax back?

I was put on emergency tax for a temporary job at christmas which took about £70, but I get up to £8000 annual tax-free so seeing as I only got paid around £300 I should be getting the tax back. I wrote to the tax office and they wrote back saying they will look into it. Just wondering how long this is going to take? I definitely should receive the money back and it would really be useful to get back soon for universities savings. I have new job now, just working saturdays, who I think are also taking tax incorrectly (haven't been able to see a payslip yet - the website made errors) if I correct them, is it possible they will repay all the tax I am owed?
Original post by MissBlueskys
How long does it generally take the government to give tax back?

I was put on emergency tax for a temporary job at christmas which took about £70, but I get up to £8000 annual tax-free so seeing as I only got paid around £300 I should be getting the tax back. I wrote to the tax office and they wrote back saying they will look into it. Just wondering how long this is going to take? I definitely should receive the money back and it would really be useful to get back soon for universities savings. I have new job now, just working saturdays, who I think are also taking tax incorrectly (haven't been able to see a payslip yet - the website made errors) if I correct them, is it possible they will repay all the tax I am owed?

That will depend on their current workload - there's no harm to a call to follow up if you can get through. Have you completed a form P46 for your new employer? Not doing so is likely to be the reason why you're being taxed incorrectly, if indeed you are. If you've not yet completed one, do so now.

Latest

Trending

Trending