The Student Room Group

A2 Biology Unit 6 ~ 16th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

i would say for the 10 marks part:

-list the independent variable under investigation and give your method of manipulating it
-list the dependent variable and how you would measure it
-list three controlled variables and how you would control them. (they usually award two controlled variables and the method of controlling them, but id say it would be safe to include one more? :P)
-at the end, always put REPEAT EXPERIMENT.

and for the data presentation part, always draw up a table with headings and units, as well as put down a name of a statistical test (e.g. spearman rank) or a hypothesis test (e.g. t test)

Original post by iesians
for preliminary :-
-practice the method beforehand to actually see if it will work or not
-write the independent variables which can affect the dependant variable
-state how you wil control them
-find out favourable conditions for the experiment and try to impose them in the actual experiment
-select a suitable timescale to measure the dependant variable.
(NOTE ive written dependant variable ....in the real exam replace it with the dependant variable ASKED IN THE EXAM eg:- number of egg hatched , human height etc....)

then theres always a question on ethical issues and safety :-

-(if about animal) top notch veterinary services cannot be provided
- do not put too much stress or it may die
- relocate to natural environment soon after the experiment is over
- keep lab conditions hygeinic

-(if about plants) wear gloves
- careful of insect biting
- do not tamper with other plants
- try not to stamp on other plants
- plants may be poisonous

and safety:-
- wear gloves
-wear goggles
-clean benches with ethanol
- flame necks of bottles to avoid air borne contamination
- possible chances of bacterial infection
- some people maybe allergic to certain chemicals used during the experiment.

......................for the 10 mark question basically write WHATEVER you can think of , its 2 pages , fill them completely !!!!!!

limitations :-

- not possible to control all factors affecting dependent variable
- conditions in lab may differ from conditions in the natural environment
- (then become specific) eg :- cloud shade affecting sunlight reaching earth , not placing the cotton wool in same place between eye stalks , not able to keep temperature constant , impossible to control genetic variations in seeds and organisms , difficulty in counting all the eggs through the microscope ....etc etc etc !!!

HOPE THIS HELPS ...! :smile:
Hey does any 1 know which Core Practical came up in this year's Bio unit 3????.....at least we can keep that core practical out of our predictions for unit 6......:smile:
Reply 82
Original post by Abrar_Higuain
Hey does any 1 know which Core Practical came up in this year's Bio unit 3????.....at least we can keep that core practical out of our predictions for unit 6......:smile:

it was Daphnia !! not gonna come nowww !!!:tongue:
Reply 83

For January 2012 unit 3 vitamin C came.
For January 2012 unit 6 respirometer.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 84
Guys does any of u know what variables to control in gel electrophoresis and the effect on the dependent variable if those variables are not controlled? :confused:
Reply 85
Original post by gcse_____
Guys does any of u know what variables to control in gel electrophoresis and the effect on the dependent variable if those variables are not controlled? :confused:

well , i dont even know that dependent and independent variables of that experiment..!!:confused::eek:
Reply 86
Original post by iesians
well , i dont even know that dependent and independent variables of that experiment..!!:confused::eek:

Aren't u the one which posted this:

if gel electrophoresis comes what will be the dependant and independant variables ..?!

i reckon :-
dependant :- distance travelled by DNA fragments
independant :- size of the DNA fragment

what to do you guys think ?

:confused:
Reply 87
Aren't u the one which posted this:

if gel electrophoresis comes what will be the dependant and independant variables ..?!

i reckon :-
dependant :- distance travelled by DNA fragments
independant :- size of the DNA fragment

what to do you guys think ?

:confused:

i used to think those are right....but in the A2 practical summary they havent listed any dependent or independent variable so im kinda doubtful..!:confused:
Original post by iesians
it was Daphnia !! not gonna come nowww !!!:tongue:

Oh **** i kept that in my predictions for this year...so what now???? u have ne prediction of core practical that might come from AS??
For January 2012 unit 3 vitamin C came.
For January 2012 unit 6 respirometer.

so u have ne suggestions what might come this year's 6b????
Reply 90
Oh **** i kept that in my predictions for this year...so what now???? u have ne prediction of core practical that might come from AS??

from A2 im rooting for habituation one ! it has never come !!
form AS , i have a strange feeling that garlic extract or the tensile strength of fibre may come...! though i completely loathe those practicals !:redface:

i want beetroot to come ! but it came last year so chances are pretty small !!:frown:
Reply 91
can someone tell me what are the dependent and independent variables of the respirometer experiment please?? :colondollar:
Reply 92
Original post by tugcan
can someone tell me what are the dependent and independent variables of the respirometer experiment please?? :colondollar:

dependent :- movement of the manometric fluid
independent :- rate of respiration of the organism

if temperature is being varied then :-

dependent :- rate of respiration of organisms
independent :- temperature

:smile:
Reply 93
what would be dependent and independent variables for mitosis experiment ?!

dependent :- number of chromosomes visible
independent :- concentration of orcein ethanoic stain .....

WHAT >>?!!
Original post by iesians
what would be dependent and independent variables for mitosis experiment ?!

dependent :- number of chromosomes visible
independent :- concentration of orcein ethanoic stain .....

WHAT >>?!!

U ARE A NERD......:tongue:
Reply 95
U ARE A NERD......:tongue:

lol....doesnt matter...i want an A !!!! now will you please answer the question, at least:tongue:
Reply 96
ok in the question where they ask how will we analyse display the data...bla bla

do we actually DRAW A TABLE ..?!
if yes , then what values do we put in ..? ...cuz in those questions no values are given , do we make them on our own ?...or do we just draw a table with columns and headings and dont write any value ..?!
Reply 97
Original post by iesians
ok in the question where they ask how will we analyse display the data...bla bla

do we actually DRAW A TABLE ..?!
if yes , then what values do we put in ..? ...cuz in those questions no values are given , do we make them on our own ?...or do we just draw a table with columns and headings and dont write any value ..?!

Yes, whe they ask you to draw a table you have to draw. Just show how you would record your data, no values required as you havent done the exp.. write the units for each.. put mean coz you'll have repeats :smile:
Reply 98
so u have ne suggestions what might come this year's 6b????

Any of the practicals may come accept the ones which came already :s-smilie:

Btw r u a Real Madrid fan? :tongue:
Any of the practicals may come accept the ones which came already :s-smilie:

Btw r u a Real Madrid fan? :tongue:

Well um a Manchester United fan...and in Spanish league I support Real Madrid...y iz that question out of nowhere????:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending