The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Drugs- Your Experiences?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LaurenPhilippa
Oh, fair enough.

Being totally honest, I've never looked into, well, any of that^ aha. Never thought of the political implications, but I guess they are pretty vast.
The vaguest knowledge I have of it it is the rumours of CIA involvement with drug trafficking/experiments(i think?), as you've said.

Victimless? Hm, depends if a user goes into criminal activity to fund it I guess.
Or commits a crime while under the influence. But yeah, if one person is involved then I suppose so.

I'll be honest, I think the judiciary are now being encouraged to put more emphasis on rehabilitation as 'punishment' for drug users. Drug dependency courses seem to be favored above custodial sentences these days.

Drugs aren't victimless, but that's mostly down to illegality of drugs. Cannabis for example has brought back the slave trade to this country, cocaine kills thousands of people in south america. As for the crime caused by drug addicts, legalise and tax, then drug users are paying for the negative externalities caused by drug use and there will be funding in place to offer addicts support rather than just criminalising them and sticking them in jail.
Original post by WhatsHisFace

EDIT: Let's try to put this thread back into track. Has anyone had any experience with DMT before? Especially interested if you also have had a near- death experiences haha.

Had very good experience with DMT. I've not had a near-death experience per se but at the peak of a DMT trip, I actually thought I had died. Which was pretty scary to put it lightly but very insightful nonetheless.
Drug laws are really screwed up IMO. 90% of the public, extended to 99% of MPs and Lords have no idea about drugs other than the old-fashioned stereotypes they were fed as children.

These are some of my experiences:

Cannabis: I don't see what the fuss is about really. Yeah weed is alright for chilling out if you smoke a small amount, but getting ridiculously blazed seems pointless to me as I just feel sleepy and the room spins a bit. However, I have had those few experiences when you laugh at everything and generally have a good time. At the end of the day, no matter how much weed you smoke, you're only going to get happy, hungry and tired. Why being happy hungry and tired is illegal with a 5 year prison sentence is just insanity.

Ecstasy: Avoid unless you know and trust the seller very well. E pills are fun and make you feel happy and talkative. No problem with them at all in a decent form. The problem is that most pills are mixed with other stuff and cut with other drugs and ingredients which can cause harm, so I steer clear of the pills just for safety.

MDMA: For anyone who doesn't know, MDMA is what makes Ecstasy pills give you that "up" feeling. That is to say that MDMA powder is pure ecstasy that isn't in pill form and hasn't been cut down. This is way better as you can directly control what and how much you take, and you can see the quality of what you get before paying for it. Little more tricky to take as you need to either rack up 1/10th of a gram line and snort your lungs out, or wrap it up tight in a rizla and swallow it. Swallowing or "bombing" it is worth it though as although it takes half an hour to an hour to kick in, it lasts WAY longer. I prefer to mix the line into a small amount of water and squash and drink it, as it works even better then as it doesn't have to pass through your stomach before hitting your water and then your blood.

Be very careful with MDMA. Don't take it more than once or twice over a 3 or 4 day period. I took way too much and was coming down for a week, I felt really depressed and anxious. I was scared of being alone and couldn't eat or sleep. The science is that MDMA makes your brain use up all its serotonin (the chemical that controls your mood) at once so that you feel stupidly happy and want to talk to everyone about everything! But it takes a while to replace this serotonin so you might feel bad for a while if you take too much.

MCAT: Same as MDMA really but a kind of nervy trippy feeling towards higher doses. Probably wont do it again as MDMA gets the same feeling and doesn't taste as bad (MCAT tastes HORRIBLE. I MEAN HORRIBLE.)

LSD: LSD is beautiful. Taken in 'tabs' (little squares of paper with the acid soaked in to it) they make everything trippy and interesting. Lights and sounds feel alien but fascinating. Don't take this when you're feeling bad though as it will intensify the negative feelings.

Salvia: Salvia is legal in the UK and you can get it in any head shop. Salvia is my favoruite drug. Smoke it in a bong or a shotty with someone around to keep any eye on you. Don't do too much the first time (about 1/5th of a gram if you get x10 or x20 will be ok). Everything looks and feels weird. You're sense of what is yourself and what isn't is distorted. One time I thought that I had turned into the night sky. Sounds ridiculous I know but I was sure as hell that myself, and the night sky, were on being that flowed into each other. Trippy but hilarious stuff.

Opinions:

I don't think (what I consider to be) "hard" drugs should be legal e.g. Heroin, Cocaine, Crystal Meth, Methadone most Barbiturates. They are just SO harmful and so addictive that the link to crime, and the detrimental effects on the person and society as a whole are far too great and numerous to justify.

As for Cannabis, MDMA/Ecstasy and other amphetamines like speed, trippy stuff like Mcat, Ketamine, mushrooms, salvia and LSD (which is far less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco) - these should be made legal (kept so in the case of Salvia).

Of the several drugs on the second list I've tried none have made me want harder drugs like the media might have you believe in their false "gateway drug" argument.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by namithailoveyou
Yes they are successful. I just don't see why a normal person would take drugs.

What's the obsession with being 'normal'? Why not aim a little higher.
Original post by DaveSmith99
Drugs aren't victimless, but that's mostly down to illegality of drugs. Cannabis for example has brought back the slave trade to this country, cocaine kills thousands of people in south america. As for the crime caused by drug addicts, legalise and tax, then drug users are paying for the negative externalities caused by drug use and there will be funding in place to offer addicts support rather than just criminalising them and sticking them in jail.

So I can expect a shorter jail term if I grow my own. Excellent.
Original post by Conciousness

Heh, indeed.

"Would you like some drugs?"

"No thanks, i'm good".

"Yea, the idea is to be better"
Original post by Conciousness

I agree. Drugs can give you a fantastic understanding of yourself that you just can't achieve sober.

Blocking out the physical reality is a fantastic way of understanding your mental being. Like going blind, your other senses become more acute!
Reply 307
Reply 308
I've smoked weed several times but I had really bad experiences on it. Also did that "new" drug meow a few times - I'd be lying if I said it wasn't one of the most amazing feelings I've ever felt. I actually felt as if I could never be happier and I felt so free, lets just say I can certainly see why my sociology textbooks told me that school drop outs use them as an escape from real life.
Reply 309
Smoked weed a couple of times. I thought it'd be a bad idea because I'd heard all the TTF-esque stories about how it makes you paranoid and I'm a bit of an anxious person already, but I didn't, I just felt calm and a bit light headed. I didn't smoke enough to get properly stoned.
This will go round and round...

Indeed, I am prejudiced to an extent, I admit that.
I think I'm pretty justified in it though, based on my own experiences.

Yeah, I get people won't accept my specific opinion, but surely it's not hard to see where I'm coming from?

I think my points are based on the "extreme" drug takers, not people who "smoke the odd joint".

I'll be honest, I'm not a drug counselor or expert, but the only thing I can think is that they must have been made illegal for a reason?

Prejudice is not based on reason or experience by definition. I think that part of the problem is that you're lumping 'drugs' into a homogenous category simply because they all happen to be illegal, and then being prejudiced against all of them on the basis of your experience of the worst consequences of the most dangerous of them. It's like judging cigarettes on the basis that alcohol can give you liver disease. My feelings about marijuana, LSD and shrooms are quite different from those about cocaine, heroin, crack and crystal meth, for example.

And whether or not something is illegal is no basis for deciding whether or not it is rightly illegal. I don't think that alcohol or cigarettes should be made illegal, but they are a darn sight more addictive and harmful than many illicit substances.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by MorrisseyForever
I've given my opinion but I respect that people make their own choices so no hate please.
Just wanted to ask one quick question; why do you take drugs?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

because consciousness is a gift we have for a limited time
I love experimenting, anyways i will say it a billion times if i have to:

yes there are dangerous drugs but prohibtion has made dangerous drugs even more dangerous! (Legalise all of them)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 313
Original post by namithailoveyou
I respect people who drink, but only in moderate amounts. binge drinkers are dicks.

You do know it's possible to do drugs in a moderate amount as well? Your argument is absolutely retarded, you are basically saying use of one drug is fine in moderation but everything else isn't, without giving any reasons. Ketamine works mostly on the same brain receptors as alcohol, is that alright then?
And it's not me who has the right to tell you what to do no

Who does have that right then?
Mhm. Well if you'd seen the effects of drug use I have...you'd agree with me.
I don't believe in condoning the sort of behaviour I've seen drugs cause by making it legal. Babies born addicted to drugs. Yeah...brilliant.

And it's not me who has the right to tell you what to do no, but funny how my opinion against legalization has the backing of health professionals, people working in law enforcement, and the (majority of) the government.

The high-profile figures that support it (e.g. Judi Dench, Helen Mirren etc), support it because they've had the "middle-class experience" of it. Wealthy, successful people taking a few lines of coke recreationally.
They don't see the flip side - the grotty council estates, the homeless crack dens, women selling their selves to fund their habits, petty criminals and hospital admissions.

Surely you at least partly understand where I'm coming from here, even if I am probably overly prejudiced?

There are a lot of health professionals who believe in the legalisation of some, if not all drugs. Mainly health professionals working in substance misuse. I worked in substance misuse for 8 years, many (although not all) of my colleagues believed in legalisation or at least decriminalisation.
No personal experiences but I've seen it ruin the lives of people I know. I've also seen alcohol ruin lives, but I don't think it's plausible to ban it or put further restrictions on it. Like drugs, if it was banned the people that use it in a way that it becomes dangerous with still find a way to use it. I think there should be more support and awareness of these problems though. Judging by my experience, addictions are caused by underlying problems rather than the drugs themselves, and there are plenty of other ways to engage in self destructive behaviour.
I used to smoke weed reasonably frequently. Because I smoked with someone who was much more experienced with it than I was, I would end up getting way to high so all I could do was sit and stare at the TV. I have watched so many films where I couldn't tell you anything that happened during it. I love it when mixed with alcohol though - they're some of the best nights I've ever had. Nothing bad has ever happened from it.

I've tried MDMA twice and the first time was just incredible. Some people might find this pathetic, but I feel like it was the best experience of my life, and nothing will ever be able to compare to it. It was that good. I did get paranoia at first and made an embarrassment of myself in front of some strangers in a club, but it decreased after a while, although I was still convinced that everyone knew I was on it. It was worth it though. I felt really sad when I felt it fading but it wasn't too bad because I still had the memory of how good I felt. The second time was a major disappointment as it was no-where near as intense.
Reply 318
Original post by ilovefashion90
lol I don't know what salvia is but I remember reading that miley cyrus done it so lol @ you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2fmZ2C2CdA

OOOOOMMMMMMMMFFFFFFFFGGGGGGGGGG!!!!111!!!!!!!!!1

i is such a total N00oo0000000000Bbbbb!!!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by NR09
OOOOOMMMMMMMMFFFFFFFFGGGGGGGGGG!!!!111!!!!!!!!!1

i is such a total N00oo0000000000Bbbbb!!!!!

ok

Latest

Trending

Trending