The Student Room Group

Too many young mums knocking about

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Skill
Honestly it's actually ridiculous. There are far too many young mums, be it teens or early twenties who are uneducated, having a bad attitude and many ugly as people all round. They literally have kids just to create their lifestyle. I don't get why women love to blame the man who 'did a runner' - clearly by the amount of young single mums out there it is not a mistake (the baby). As a woman you carry responsibility of pregnancy. It is your job to ensure that the man is protected (seeing as you are too arrogant to use protection yourself). I really don't get it. Blame the man etc, if you don't want to get pregnant don't have sex with some toerag! It generally just annoys me. I work in retail and the mum with baby in tow combo is the most common to visit my store. All I see all day is young mum with child, young mum with child - and I can instantly tell most of these young girls are single mums etc.

Seeing all these uneducated, poorly mannered, stuck up, ugly women rolling down the street or park with their babies in tow living with this victim mentality. Ugly. They deserve nothing.

Discuss.

Shut up and don't judge. It's not your problem, it's theirs
Reply 21
I live in northern Ireland, and (unless they are all hiding) we have very few teenage mums, but abortion is illegal. I think it is because we have sex ed very basically from you start secondary school, and as a big part of both religion ( most schools around here are Christian) and science GCSEs, so I agree that a lack of education could be the reason, however, I really don't understand why it bothers you so much...
Original post by wontdeny
I live in northern Ireland, and (unless they are all hiding) we have very few teenage mums, but abortion is illegal. I think it is because we have sex ed very basically from you start secondary school, and as a big part of both religion ( most schools around here are Christian) and science GCSEs, so I agree that a lack of education could be the reason, however, I really don't understand why it bothers you so much...

How is your sex ed run? We got like... 5 hours of it in year 9 :erm: and nothing else. Is everyone religious? Just wondering if it's more the education or the religion that keeps the numbers down.
Reply 23
I agree, too many chavs about who jump on the closest ****. "yolo gon haz bby so i cn gt benfitz n dnt av 2 wrk luv uu xxxxxx"
Yes, teenage pregnancies are a problem but I despise this attitude that if a woman gets pregnant it's her fault and hers alone.

It takes two to tango, and therefore should be the responsibility of both people to prevent pregnancy.

Men are not animals. You have brains too.
Reply 25
Original post by alexmagpie
Yes, teenage pregnancies are a problem but I despise this attitude that if a woman gets pregnant it's her fault and hers alone.

It takes two to tango, and therefore should be the responsibility of both people to prevent pregnancy.

Men are not animals. You have brains too.

But it is her fault. She carries the responsibility for the birth - she shouldn't allow a man to have sex with her if he's not wearing a condom (seeing as women are incapable if using contraception themselves!). You say why should a woman carry sole responsibility but why should a man carry responsibility when he didn't plan for a baby and used a condom - yet the woman keeps the baby? Then what eh? It has its pros and cons for woman - pregnancy that is. Fundamentally it is down to you to not be so naive as to let a man shag you without a condom. No pity otherwise.
Original post by Skill
But it is her fault. She carries the responsibility for the birth - she shouldn't allow a man to have sex with her if he's not wearing a condom (seeing as women are incapable if using contraception themselves!). You say why should a woman carry sole responsibility but why should a man carry responsibility when he didn't plan for a baby and used a condom - yet the woman keeps the baby? Then what eh? It has its pros and cons for woman - pregnancy that is. Fundamentally it is down to you to not be so naive as to let a man shag you without a condom. No pity otherwise.

You make an awful lot of generalisations. All women are INCAPABLE of using contraception? Have you ever met a woman?

Firstly, were you there when all these babies were conceived? I'm not denying that there are a lot of stupid people who don't use contraception, but what about those who do and it fails? Is that the woman's fault? There are a lot of women who simply can't use hormonal contraception. Should she just remain celibate for life? Condoms do not always work.

Fundamentally it is down to both partners to use adequate protection. If a man does not want to take responsibility for a child he should use a condom, and if a woman does not want to she should insist on condom use.

If a condom is not used it is the fault of both people.

Also please stop saying 'you'. I have never been pregnant.
Original post by Skill
Honestly it's actually ridiculous. There are far too many young mums, be it teens or early twenties who are uneducated, having a bad attitude and many ugly as people all round. They literally have kids just to create their lifestyle. I don't get why women love to blame the man who 'did a runner' - clearly by the amount of young single mums out there it is not a mistake (the baby). As a woman you carry responsibility of pregnancy. It is your job to ensure that the man is protected (seeing as you are too arrogant to use protection yourself). I really don't get it. Blame the man etc, if you don't want to get pregnant don't have sex with some toerag! It generally just annoys me. I work in retail and the mum with baby in tow combo is the most common to visit my store. All I see all day is young mum with child, young mum with child - and I can instantly tell most of these young girls are single mums etc.

Seeing all these uneducated, poorly mannered, stuck up, ugly women rolling down the street or park with their babies in tow living with this victim mentality. Ugly. They deserve nothing.

Discuss.

Somewhat relevant
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1486879/Love-league-tables-show-link-to-sexual-disease.html
Reply 28
Original post by alexmagpie
You make an awful lot of generalisations. All women are INCAPABLE of using contraception? Have you ever met a woman?

Firstly, were you there when all these babies were conceived? I'm not denying that there are a lot of stupid people who don't use contraception, but what about those who do and it fails? Is that the woman's fault? There are a lot of women who simply can't use hormonal contraception. Should she just remain celibate for life? Condoms do not always work.

Fundamentally it is down to both partners to use adequate protection. If a man does not want to take responsibility for a child he should use a condom, and if a woman does not want to she should insist on condom use.

If a condom is not used it is the fault of both people.

Also please stop saying 'you'. I have never been pregnant.

It is not the fault of both. It is the fault of the woman for letting it go through. Can she not find a man to have sex with who'll use protection?
Well with all those stupid Sex Ed shows in TV what did you expect? All they do is encourage hence teen Mothers.
Original post by Skill
It is not the fault of both. It is the fault of the woman for letting it go through. Can she not find a man to have sex with who'll use protection?

Do you really think that giving young boys the message that they can do what they want, and it's fine if you don't get out a condom because it's her responsibility to ask you to is going to lower pregnancy rates?

Should we not teach both sexes that their actions have consequences and they should be prepared to face them?
Reply 31
Original post by Skill

You're still a virgin aren't you.
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Don't go to Bangor, or indeed anywhere in North Wales. Fairly certain I saw a pair of teenage twin girls who looked about 15 with babies last time I was on the high street...

And the chances are they were either on holiday or had moved from
England.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 33
It's none of your business what age someone is when they have a baby. They may make the wrong choices but being a young mum isn't always a bad thing, I know some who due to having a baby have actually settled down and grown up to be more responsible and stay out of trouble as a result. You can't just take the bad cases and put a big blanket on all the young mum's out there. Everyone out there has their own story and at the end of the day it's up to individuals to make their own decisions. Maybe if more young dad's had kept it in their pants this would be less of an issue. But no it's always the girl's fault isn't it...
Original post by Skill
Another young woman who doesn't want to hear the truth.

In many cases, if not most in this country - yes it is. Most young mothers, teens etc are living off the benefit system.

Yes they don't help because they didn't want a baby and why should they. He didn't use a condom? Did the woman? NO. Did the woman consider her responsibility as the birth giver? NO.

I don't want to hear the truth? I've never been pregnant...

They have EQUAL responsibility. It's the man's fault just as much as the woman's. The woman didn't want the baby but they deal with it because they have to. The man didn't want it and they don't deal with it. How is that fair?
Original post by Dippy Dip
Yes, the UK has a problem with teen pregnancies. Yes, they keep the children for the wrong reasons of supporting their way of life. And yes, none of these people are in any position to be mothers.

It's been going on like this for years. I don't like it, but I don't see how we can change this. Sex education is effective, and I think it should be taught early on in school. But it doesn't stop all those people who have children solely for benefits.

I dont think thats a good idea, as the earlier you teach it by the time they are 10-15 it sounds the norm. My mum says in her day, people didn't talk about it at all, and they studied it in sixth form. They did puberty stuff like periods, facial hair etc earlier though.
Men should be forced to take just as much responsbility as girls. I don't understand how some guys feel they can have sex with a girl and leave her with the baby. Fathers should be forced to spend time with their children and forced to contribute to their upkeep. This would make a big difference to teen pregnancy rates.
Reply 37
They are both equally part of creating a lifeform, but really if he does a runner, than regardless, the woman would be forced to take all the responsibility for the baby.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Skill

Discuss.

In 2009 (the latest data I could find), teenage pregnancy rates in England and Wales were "estimated to be the lowest since the early 1980s" (Guardian Article; http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/feb/22/teenage-pregnancy-rates-england-wales-map). I think you might be exaggerating the number of teenage pregnancies in your area, possibly due to your own lack of education. You realise that just because you see a woman and a young child in your shop, it does not mean that they are mother and daughter, and if they are, you have no real way of determining whether the mother is working, whether they are on benefits or whether there's an active and involved father. Also, I'd argue that if you're a woman and over 20, it's your life and if you want children, then fine. Start a family.
You say that "They deserve nothing", referring to the benefits provided by the government to those with children; have you considered that those benefits are spent on the care of the children in question? What would you prefer, very, very poor families with starving children? Clearly, you've already written off the parents; why not write off the children as failures too, eh?
We don't live in a perfect society. There are a lot of problems. But it's people like yourself who are equally as uneducated and ignorant as those you attack in your OP- you're not as above them as you think.
Original post by carrotstick
And the chances are they were either on holiday or had moved from
England.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Nope, they were swearing in Welsh and chatting away in the dirtiest North Welsh accent ever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending