The Student Room Group

Too many young mums knocking about

Scroll to see replies

North Welsh accent? Oh dear god. Also how do you know they were swearing in welsh?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by carrotstick
North Welsh accent? Oh dear god. Also how do you know they were swearing in welsh?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I may not know how to say my name, but I do know how to say a few choice words :wink:
Reply 42
Yes, and it also adds to the overpopulation/over consumption issue.
The UK should be following its European counterparts by lowering its birthrate, especially given how England specifically is the 6th most densely populated country in the world.
Reply 43
Original post by PhysicsGirl
In 2009 (the latest data I could find), teenage pregnancy rates in England and Wales were "estimated to be the lowest since the early 1980s" (Guardian Article; http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/feb/22/teenage-pregnancy-rates-england-wales-map). I think you might be exaggerating the number of teenage pregnancies in your area, possibly due to your own lack of education. You realise that just because you see a woman and a young child in your shop, it does not mean that they are mother and daughter, and if they are, you have no real way of determining whether the mother is working, whether they are on benefits or whether there's an active and involved father. Also, I'd argue that if you're a woman and over 20, it's your life and if you want children, then fine. Start a family.
You say that "They deserve nothing", referring to the benefits provided by the government to those with children; have you considered that those benefits are spent on the care of the children in question? What would you prefer, very, very poor families with starving children? Clearly, you've already written off the parents; why not write off the children as failures too, eh?
We don't live in a perfect society. There are a lot of problems. But it's people like yourself who are equally as uneducated and ignorant as those you attack in your OP- you're not as above them as you think.

lol I am well above them but then again most people are. You're telling me I'm equal to some ugly, fat, common chav who sponges off the state to fund her 'let's see how many babies I can slip out my vag' council estate lifestyle? Jog on.
It's a sad reality when people have a baby so they can receive monetary gain.
Reply 45
Original post by Skill
I think the problem is English women, or rather British women. They lack education which is actually a problem they create themselves.

Where are you from?

Also who are you to say we lack education? It is not the majority of us who are teenage mothers nor are all teenage mothers uneducated.

Some continue with education whilst caring for their child, some seeing as teenage includes 18 and 19, have perfectly good a levels which will enable them to continue with their education when they are ready to.

And dont be so racist
You get the same problem with teenage mothers in America, there are even tv shows about it.

Women here have far more access to education than most women in Africa and the Middle east.
Reply 46
Original post by Skill
lol I am well above them but then again most people are. You're telling me I'm equal to some ugly, fat, common chav who sponges off the state to fund her 'let's see how many babies I can slip out my vag' council estate lifestyle? Jog on.

An ugly fat common chav with a baby would annoy me far less than you do
Reply 47
Original post by Skill
It is not the fault of both. It is the fault of the woman for letting it go through. Can she not find a man to have sex with who'll use protection?

You do realise that condoms dont always work? They arent 100% effective? Nor is any form of contraception.
I think they seem to be following some trend. Get pregnant. Announce it on Facebook. Have baby scans. Put baby scan as profile picture. Have baby shower. Upload baby shower pics on Facebook. Have the baby. Announce it on Facebook to gather 500+ Likes.

At least 15 people in my year group - no exaggaration - have done exactly that and followed that exact pattern with their babies. It's an utter joke. I swear they are having children for the wrong reasons, including getting benefits and a flat.

To be perfectly honest, I don't really have a problem with 'young mothers' (though I'd draw the line at having a baby at say, 15 or younger). It's just when they have babies for the wrong reasons - e.g. following the trend, wanting a house, benefits, or because there's 'no alternative'. And a lot of the mothers I have seen fall into one or more of those categories. The child does not have a stable home because the mother is still living with HER mother, or her boyfriend's mother, or whatever, and nine times out of ten, they don't have a job, and don't even stay with the so-called father of the baby. Their lives are currently too unstable for a child to be brought up in.

If they had a house, a stable relationship with a guy, and a job, and THEN decide to have a baby, I wouldn't have a problem with it, even if they are only 18. But it's rare that a woman that young would have any of those things anyway. It appears a lot of 'young mothers' do it the opposite way; have a baby, and then expect the benefits/house, etc. when it shouldn't be like that. I wouldn't even consider children until I am in a house, married and a stable job. Sorry.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Skill
Honestly it's actually ridiculous. There are far too many young mums, be it teens or early twenties who are uneducated, having a bad attitude and many ugly as people all round. They literally have kids just to create their lifestyle. I don't get why women love to blame the man who 'did a runner' - clearly by the amount of young single mums out there it is not a mistake (the baby). As a woman you carry responsibility of pregnancy. It is your job to ensure that the man is protected (seeing as you are too arrogant to use protection yourself). I really don't get it. Blame the man etc, if you don't want to get pregnant don't have sex with some toerag! It generally just annoys me. I work in retail and the mum with baby in tow combo is the most common to visit my store. All I see all day is young mum with child, young mum with child - and I can instantly tell most of these young girls are single mums etc.

Seeing all these uneducated, poorly mannered, stuck up, ugly women rolling down the street or park with their babies in tow living with this victim mentality. Ugly. They deserve nothing.

Discuss.

I remember this girl got pregnant in my tutor group in year 8, a friend of hers went the same way in year 9, who was also in my tutor group.

The year 9 one got pregnant on purpose, she was going around buzzing about it, apparently her sister was around 21 years old and had 3 kids, and I think their mam had her first kid between 13-16 years old lol.
Reply 50
Thank you to the last 2 posters who give my post some credibility. Some people can see the truth.
Original post by Skill
Thank you to the last 2 posters who give my post some credibility. Some people can see the truth.

Oh and those two did not achieve crap all GCSE's, future lifetime benefit people right there.
Reply 52
I have no idea how we're going to stop it. It's pretty much a problem partly caused by:

- Lack of access/education of contraceptives,
- Lack of ambition/little desire for education,
- Unemployment, with parenting being an alternative (benefits and the impression they've achieved something)
- Their own parents, they may have young mums/their peers might.

So perhaps we could combat it through education, improving employment, advertise the point free contraceptives are available etc... I think we may be too deep though... it will be years before anything started to change.
Original post by RobertWhite
I have no idea how we're going to stop it. It's pretty much a problem partly caused by:

- Lack of access/education of contraceptives,
- Lack of ambition/little desire for education,
- Unemployment, with parenting being an alternative (benefits and the impression they've achieved something)
- Their own parents, they may have young mums/their peers might.

So perhaps we could combat it through education, improving employment, advertise the point free contraceptives are available etc... I think we may be too deep though... it will be years before anything started to change.

That part in bold is defo the problem I saw at my school.
They do get education on it, they just don't care.
In my school year, a group of 10 girls. All have had a baby (within months of each other), apart from one, a couple are expecting or have already had their second. No surprises that they all got given a house by the council, and do not work.
Nothing wrong with a 'council estate lifestyle.'

I'm quite they aren't losing any sleep over your views.
Get off your moral high horse, stop being so judgemental of people you hardly know anything about and focus on you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Skill

You're right, equal is too strong. How about worse?
Meh. My mum was young when she first fell pregnant (miscarriage) and when she had my brother, sister and I. (had brother at 23, me at 25 and sister at 27)

Oh, and she was married when my brother, sister and I were born.

Not all women do it for benefits, etc.
Original post by OU Student
Meh. My mum was young when she first fell pregnant (miscarriage) and when she had my brother, sister and I. (had brother at 23, me at 25 and sister at 27)

Oh, and she was married when my brother, sister and I were born.

Not all women do it for benefits, etc.

23 years old and pregnant is very different to 15 and pregnant.
Reply 59
I'll probably have a child or one on the way in my early twenties.

But because of where I am work, education and relationship wise I will also probably have several years of working for a big named company, a first class degree and teaching qualification and a husband. I also like to think I'm quite attractive, aesthetically and personality wise.
You can't just judge people as 'ugly' just from one factor in their life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending