The Student Room Group

Top 10 most challenging degrees..?

Scroll to see replies

Classics? Latin...
Reply 41
Media studies.
In my opinion I don't think physics is as hard as engineering. At least not at Strathclyde. My boyfriend has half the workload of me, gets a day off and only had one exam this summer. The one exam he did have I was also sitting - maths - and it was my easiest exam.
Original post by Planar
One of my relatives is a doctor and he said that doing a degree in medicine was like doing 40 GCSEs

Rofl. That makes a degree in Medicine sound VERY easy...
Reply 44
Original post by Wa 007
I do Philosophy and Ethics a level but isn't philosophy a pointless degree unless you convert to Law? I dunno like i just dont think there are many career opportunities

It has as many, and as wide, career opportunities as any other humanities degree. But isn't this thread about most chellenging degrees, not most useful degrees?
Reply 45
Original post by zaliack
You really ought to change your picture to Wolowitz then.

I really want Leonard's brother Michael to show up so I can change my avatar to him (he's a Harvard Law professor :awesome:)

I've changed my mind, law is the hardest degree :biggrin:
Reply 46
Computer science
Reply 47
Law?

http://studentlifeblog.co.uk/2010/08/the-easiest-and-hardest-degrees-to-get-a-first-in/

What! Does this make qualitative subjects harder than quantitative ones?
Reply 48
Original post by Wa 007
I do Philosophy and Ethics a level but isn't philosophy a pointless degree unless you convert to Law? I dunno like i just dont think there are many career opportunities

Nah, that's what I though as well. But it's similar to Maths - the only direct job which the degree is fully applicable in is becoming a teacher/professor. But because it's a thinking subject (like Maths) you can also apply it to many jobs.
You can go into things like law, journalism, business, education etc. But I'm not sure whether it can be applied as far as Maths.

These are the skills you would have to do Philosophy (a couple are exactly like Maths):

logical and analytical thinking and reasoning
problem solving
written and oral communication presentation of ideas and information
able to interpret, condense and clarify information
a significant amount of creativity
able to formulate your own opinions and defend them in debate
curiosity, and lateral thinking
the ability to interpret and analyse a variety of different information
a willingness to debate any point
Totally subjective, but I would of thought that Law should be somewehere in the top 10?
Define challenging? And I take it you've done all of these degrees? Different strokes for different folks.
Original post by pop101
Philosophy? (This and Maths are highly logical aren't they?)

Yes but not always and in a different way. but a times Philosophy can be as logical as Maths depends what you are looking at really, topic wise. Plus what kind of thinker are you if you are always linear or can think in more than one way, so I would say it depnds on the individual mathematician and Philosopher, as to if they could grasp both Maths and Philosophy. :smile:
Original post by ghanglish
Define challenging? And I take it you've done all of these degrees? Different strokes for different folks.

your sarcasm is admirable. evidently not, nor have the editors of the complete university guide been to all of the unis in the uk. It doesn't take a genuis to realise this. I was just asking of other peoples opinion...from what I understand of each course that is how I would rank them :smile:
Original post by Wa 007

Philosophy and Ethics is different to just plan Philosophy which looks beyond the religious perceptive and encompasses a lot more than Philosophy and Ethics the two only a line minimally with the Philosophy in Philosophy and Ethics is only a tiny aspect of Philosophy.

PS I have not done a Philosophy degree but I am doing the a level and know people who do Philosophy and Ethic (even some in my class) it is very different, although if we look at God we will look at the same theories but in a very different way.
Reply 54
Original post by hannah60000
Yes but not always and in a different way. but a times Philosophy can be as logical as Maths depends what you are looking at really, topic wise. Plus what kind of thinker are you if you are always linear or can think in more than one way, so I would say it depnds on the individual mathematician and Philosopher, as to if they could grasp both Maths and Philosophy. :smile:

But in terms of challenging, these 2 are, as they require high thinking/logical ability. And both forms require you to think in other ways, not linear i.e to solve a Maths problem, there is more than 1 way.
You may be right as they would think differently, a mathematician would think more abstractly as he/she works with complex formulas of which they have interest in, whereas Philosopher are more interested in the 'Why's?' of the world around them and life and see these differently from the 'average' person.
Basically, both degrees involve high thinking, logical and problem solving ability and are therefore challenging.
It's subjective. You're never going to get a clear answer.
LAW??!?!?!?!!!!!!!!
You've only picked science subjects. Wondering if OP studies a science subject.
Biased, but I find midwifery incredibly difficult. Balancing the sheer workload with placement, especially when bad things happen, is really stressful and difficult.
Original post by pepeeglesfield
I'd say

1)dentistry & medicine
2)Mathematics
3)physics
4)engineering (all)
5)computer science

...? :colone:

negging is rather sad really...not that it bothers me in the slightest..neg away..

I wouldn't say that Dentistry or Medicine is the most challenging degree, do you get that perception based on the fact that it's one of the most competitive degrees? Competitiveness is not the same as difficulty, I think this is why people are negging you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending