The Student Room Group

My story of getting into a russel group uni with ccc.

I've wanted to share my academic journey over the past few years, from ages 16 to 20, in the hope that it might offer insight and support to others facing similar challenges. When I took my GCSEs during the COVID pandemic, I received grades that positioned me as an above-average student, mostly 6s with a few 7s and one 8. While these grades may have been somewhat inflated due to the circumstances, I generally considered myself a proficient student. However, I was disappointed with my 6 in maths, which I felt underestimated my abilities. My GCSE teacher advised against taking A-level maths but I went for it anyway.

Nevertheless, I enrolled in a sixth form and pursued A-levels in computer science, maths, and physics, unable to take further maths due to my GCSE grade. The transition was challenging, particularly with the disruptions caused by multiple lockdowns. By the end of my first year, I found myself with grades of E/D/C across all subjects. Determined to improve, I made the decision to forego my computer science coursework for the first year (which wouldn't contribute to my final grade) and focused on rigorous revision for all three subjects. This dedication paid off, as I achieved AAB in my end-of-year exams through hard work and perseverance.

In the following year, I aimed for ABB, desiring an A in maths to broaden my options for top universities. My college agreed to upgrade my predicted grade to an A if I retook my GCSE and scored a 7 or higher. I succeeded in attaining an 8, resulting in a predicted AAB. However, despite these achievements, my A-level results fell short due to a combination of factors, including the absence of traditional exams, ongoing anxiety, prolonged periods of online learning, and a lack of discipline. Disheartened and burnt out, I missed my university offers and opted to take a year off to regroup after the disruptions caused by COVID-19.

During this break, I worked and explored alternative pathways, eventually applying to foundation year courses and Scottish degree programs. Scottish degrees, spanning four years with an integrated foundation year/ year 0, appealed to me for their structured approach and comprehensive coverage of A-level 'level' content. I secured admission to a top 10 Scottish university based on my strong GCSEs and relevant A-level subjects.

Reflecting on my journey, I recognized the benefits of the Scottish system for those considering foundation year programs. Unlike traditional foundation years, the first year of Scottish degrees offers full funding and a more inclusive structure, with a majority of students participating. Moreover, the pass threshold of 40% alleviates some of the pressure compared to other foundation year programs. Encouraged by my initial success, I decided to explore transferring to a more prestigious institution, despite initial skepticism from peers and advisors who suggested retaking A-levels instead.

Navigating the transfer process required careful coordination with my university to avoid potential pitfalls, including ensuring that my grades weren't deliberately downgraded. I reached out to several Russell Group universities, ultimately receiving offers from Sheffield, Newcastle, and Lancaster, with York being the only exception due to their specific requirements regarding mathematics. While unconventional and requiring substantial effort, this path enabled me to secure offers from two Russell Group universities and one equivalent institution with my CCC grades. There are more details such as funding which can be complicated but doable. The main thing is that my level grades only mattered to the top unis that said they wouldn't recognize my first-year grades at the new uni as being combined with my previous levels. The way I got in with ccc was that I showed a higher level of maths and programming through my course which would be to the standard of an AAB-AAA student. However, it is up to the admissions department of the subject of the uni to decide that based on modules. This is why you HAVE to email and enquire about each uni before you apply.

Just be warned that doing this will use your gift year of student finance (which means if you need to restart or repeat a year later on then you won’t get a tuition fee loan). This is probably the most important factor on why I advise retaking Alevels instead. I come from a rural area where the only six forms don't allow re-sists. Especially after a gap year. Which forced me into this more expensive option.

Is this the optimal route? Not necessarily. Is it straightforward? Far from it. However, for those unable to retake exams or confident in their ability to excel at university-level studies, it presents a viable option, albeit with considerable financial investment. I share my story in the hopes of shedding light on alternative pathways and offering guidance to others facing similar challenges. While my journey is unique and contingent on various factors, it underscores the importance of exploring unconventional routes and advocating for oneself in pursuit of academic goals. If my experience can offer insight or support to others, I'm more than willing to share further details and answer any questions.
(edited 2 months ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Really helpful info.
Where did you end up going? I’m in Scotland considering Dundee, Heriot watt and Aberdeen for computer science.
You don't explicitly say this but Lancaster's not a Russell Group university by the way. It might be too small to have been considered to be one (like Bath, Loughborough, and St Andrews aren't Russell Group either despite all having good research quality and intensity on average). Unless some or all of these 4 never wanted to be part of the Russell Group.
(edited 6 days ago)
Reply 4
Yeah but Newcastle and Sheffield are and I consider Lancaster an equivalent on a academic and career outcomes based
this was posted so long ago, how have I only just found it? Your story is really amazing, congrats :grin:
Reply 6
Original post by katyjoanne
Really helpful info.
Where did you end up going? I’m in Scotland considering Dundee, Heriot watt and Aberdeen for computer science.

Herriot watt> Dundee> abereen for cs I won’t say where I go in Scotland but if you can not go into St Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow or Strathclyde then that’s my order.

Quick Reply

Latest