The Student Room Group

Unit 3 business GCSE edexcel

currently revising for unit 3 business exam 24th may. im going through past papers with the mark schemes which helps but there are no example questions for the 6+ questions. i most of the time know the answers however have no idea how to lay them out. If anyone has done the paper before could you please explain the structure that you laid the question out in. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

In my opinion, nailing the Business exam is all about exam technique. Like you mentioned, the content isn't hard and for most questions the answer is pretty simple. However, to get full marks for each question you need to know how to address each different question type. This is how I would approach each different type.

Multiple choice questions (1 mark) - Achieving full marks on these questions are simple, tick the correct answer. However make sure you read the question carefully so you know exactly what you're answering. In addition, for some questions multiple answers may seem like they could be correct. To arrive at the right answer, always look at the context of the question (usually the case study) before choosing your answer.

Calculation questions (1/2/3 marks) - For calculation questions worth more than one mark, you need to show your working out gain full marks. Also, for questions which require the use of a formula (such as working out total costs or revenue), make sure you state the formula before working out the answer.

Definition questions (2 marks) - You can get two marks on these questions for simply stating an accurate definition. However, just in case your definition isn't deemed accurate enough, it is a good idea to elaborate on your definition or give an example to ensure you secure both marks.

Identify/State questions (1/2/3 marks) - To achieve full marks you need to simply state one/two/three (depending on the marks allocated for the question) relevant answers. No explanations are needed.

Outline questions (2/4 marks) - For these questions you need to make one, or sometimes two (depending on the question and number of marks allocated) relevant points and then a development of that point.

Explain questions (3 marks) - Similar to 'outline questions' you need to make one relevant point, however for these questions you need to make two developments from each point. The exam board recommends you use words such as ’this leads to…’ or ‘because…’.

Describe questions (3 marks) - These questions are probably the most difficult to answer. You need to make two relevant points with a development for each point. The important thing to remember is that if a case study is involved, always refer to the business from the case study otherwise you will not gain the full three marks.

Evaluate/Judgement questions (6 marks) - These are probably the easiest questions to lose marks on in terms of exam technique. The trick is to evaluate both the factors (for examples, whether increased advertising or decreased prices would improve profits) and make at least two points about each factor (one advantage and one disadvantage if possible). Then you need to come to a judgement on which factor is better, however you need to ensure your judgement is balanced to get full marks.

Discuss questions (6 marks) - These questions usually involve analysing the benefits/drawbacks of performing a certain action. To achieve full marks you need to state two benefits/drawbacks with a development for each point. You then need to counter-balance each of these points to show some balance in your analysis, again developing each of your counter-balancing points. No conclusion, or overall judgement is required. Sometimes these questions test your quality of written communication, so ensure your spelling and grammar is accurate and try to impress the examiner with your vocabulary and writing style. Finally, if a case study is involved ensure you refer to the context.

Advantage & Disadvantage questions (8 marks) - You need to state an advantage and a disadvantage and three developments for each one. Again, the exam board recommends using words such as ’this leads to…’ or ‘because…’. In addition, you must refer to the context to gain full marks. It also worth using words such as 'it depends' to show that the causes of an advantage of disadvantage are not always inevitable.

Assess questions (8 marks) - For these questions you need to give two pros/advantages and two cons/disadvantages with each point having two developments made from it. You must then arrive at a conclusion with a developed judgement which uses phrases such as ‘it depends' to show that some factors are not inevitable. If there is a case study involved, ensure you refer to the context. These questions also test your quality of written communication, so ensure your spelling and grammar is accurate and try to impress the examiner with your vocabulary and writing style.

Assess questions (10 marks) - These are the hardest questions on the exam, so you really need to practice how to answer these questions. You need to give three pros/advantages and three cons/disadvantages with each point having two developments made from it. You then must arrive at a conclusion, again using words such as 'it depends' to show some balance in your judgement. The key to this question is to talk about the business from the case study, and ensure your points are focused around the business and how it will be affected. Again, these questions also test your quality of written communication, so ensure your spelling and grammar is accurate and try to impress the examiner with your vocabulary and writing style.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
In my opinion, nailing the Business exam is all about exam technique. Like you mentioned, the content isn't hard and for most questions the answer is pretty simple. However, to get full marks for each question you need to know how to address each different question type. This is how I would approach each different type.

Thankyou. this really helps. i better redo my past paper homework :blush: :smile:
Reply 3
thanks so much Joe, best exam technique I've read for this exam
Original post by Spag
thanks so much Joe, best exam technique I've read for this exam

No problem! I'll try and post an updated version tonight as I'm going to correct some of the grammar mistakes, make things a little clearer in some places and possibly provide some examples.
Reply 5
^thankyou. are you going to post it on this thread or on another? if it is another thread Please let me know. my exams tomorrow. xox
Original post by CurtisRajar
^thankyou. are you going to post it on this thread or on another? if it is another thread Please let me know. my exams tomorrow. xox

I'll post it in here.
Reply 7
Does anyone know the rough grade boundaries for tomorrows exam?
Original post by gcses2013
Does anyone know the rough grade boundaries for tomorrows exam?

For business studies the grade boundaries fluctuate quite heavily depending on the toughness for the exam.

If you're targeting an A*, I'd try and target at least 70 marks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Here's my advice on how to answer the different questions on the exam in a clearer, more condensed form. I hope this helps!

Spoiler

I've attached a PDF version of the above information underneath this post if you want to print it off.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Joe7
For business studies the grade boundaries fluctuate quite heavily depending on the toughness for the exam.

If you're targeting an A*, I'd try and target at least 80 marks.

On the edexcel website I think it stated that last year you only needed 71 out of 90. Was this just an easy exam or something?

Thanks
Original post by gcses2013
On the edexcel website I think it stated that last year you only needed 71 out of 90. Was this just an easy exam or something?

Thanks

Here's the A* boundary from the last two summer exams.

June 2012 - 71/90
June 2011 - 70/90

My earlier judgement was probably too harsh, as for our mock we had to achieve 79/90 for an A*, however that may have just been our teachers increasing the boundaries to ensure we didn't become complacent.
Reply 12
Original post by Joe7
Here's the A* boundary from the last two summer exams.

June 2012 - 71/90
June 2011 - 70/90

My earlier judgement was probably too harsh, as for our mock we had to achieve 79/90 for an A*, however that may have just been our teachers increasing the boundaries to ensure we didn't become complacent.

Same with our mock :/ The teacher told us we needed 90% raw marks for an A*. Don't think an A* will be too hard with the relatively low grade boundaries :smile:
Reply 13
Does anyone know how to answer a edexcel 10 mark question???!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
There's a pdf file on the front page that Joe posted, make sure you use the updated one, don't think it could be easier to find really;D
Reply 15
Approximately what are the grade boundaries for an A in the coursework?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MishaSalih
Approximately what are the grade boundaries for an A in the coursework?

Posted from TSR Mobile

36/40 is an A* and 32/40 is an A I'm led to believe.
Reply 17
Hmm okay thanks :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck today guys! Just a reminder that I don't think we're allowed to talk about the exam until 12 hours after as Edexcel exams are done in different countries.
Reply 19
How did everyone find it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending