The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine

I wonder if any of you can help?

Do graduate entry med schools require you to have obtained your degree before applying or not?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think Birmingham and Liverpool do, but I think you should be okay to apply to all the other GEPs in the final year of your course.
Original post by jwells
I wonder if any of you can help?

Do graduate entry med schools require you to have obtained your degree before applying or not?

What I have been told is that they prefer people to not apply immediately as many of the schools want you to have a year or two of 'real world experience' (as well as earning enough money in order to see you through as they don't like you getting part time jobs).

Maybe call up the schools to ask?
Reply 3
You people seem like the perfect people to ask..

For GEM couses, is it right that you can still get some funding from Student finance England, although it is technically a second undergraduate degree? Many thanks.
Reply 4
You get money from the NHS and the government. I think you have to pay about 3.5K in the first year and a little less in the later years but yes you can still get money from the government
Original post by Democracy
I think Birmingham and Liverpool do, but I think you should be okay to apply to all the other GEPs in the final year of your course.

Liverpool no longer require you to have graduated, so can apply in final year.
Reply 6
Is there anyone who's graduating and applied to do medicine abroad? If so how much luck have you had. I'm about to graduate from a Biomedical Science degree (next yr) and considering applying to do medicine abroad.
Are you more likely to suceed if you have experience under your bely (a yrs) and then apply or apply straight away?
If you achieved good enough a level results to have done the five year medicine course yet studied biomed and then later decided you wished to pursue a medical career so applied to do graduate entry medicine would you be at a disadvantage? thanks
Reply 9
Original post by askingquestions1
If you achieved good enough a level results to have done the five year medicine course yet studied biomed and then later decided you wished to pursue a medical career so applied to do graduate entry medicine would you be at a disadvantage? thanks

No, GEM courses aren't necessarily for individuals who failed to achieve the required grades during A levels or those who didn't get in, but also for those who decided to do medicine at a later stage.
Reply 10
Have you got more chance of getting into GEM abroad than in the UK?
Reply 11
Original post by apaigey
Is there anyone who's graduating and applied to do medicine abroad? If so how much luck have you had. I'm about to graduate from a Biomedical Science degree (next yr) and considering applying to do medicine abroad.

Medicine in Malta is the new crave amongst UK students looking to study abroad. Favourable academic requirement, no tuition fee, no language barrier and, no entrance exam or interview (unless you're unlucky). Study medicine in the sun. Almost too good to be true.

Original post by apaigey
Have you got more chance of getting into GEM abroad than in the UK?

UK, given that there's barely any GEM places abroad and most medical schools then to cater to their citizens. Plus the language barrier in places that are open to UK citizens tilts the pendulum in UK's favour.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by 419
Medicine in Malta is the new crave amongst UK students looking to study abroad. Favourable academic requirement, no tuition fee, no language barrier and, no entrance exam or interview (unless you're unlucky). Study medicine in the sun. Almost too good to be true.

Unfortunately it is too good to be true. The new language barrier has been erected. Its called the Certificate in Medical Maltese. Originally to be instituted from 2014, its now had a stay of execution until 2015 and will be an entry requirement for all applicants.

The exam + oral exam is usually given to graduates who do not already have the A-Level grades normally required for undergrad entry. So from next year you will need grade A in Bio and Chem. They are also very fussy about what modules have been studied from post-grad applicants.

The goose is nearly cooked, so if you want to apply do it soon!
Reply 13
Original post by Heinz59
Unfortunately it is too good to be true. The new language barrier has been erected. Its called the Certificate in Medical Maltese. Originally to be instituted from 2014, its now had a stay of execution until 2015 and will be an entry requirement for all applicants.

The exam + oral exam is usually given to graduates who do not already have the A-Level grades normally required for undergrad entry. So from next year you will need grade A in Bio and Chem. They are also very fussy about what modules have been studied from post-grad applicants.

The goose is nearly cooked, so if you want to apply do it soon!

Isn't the certificate in medical maltese basically an elementary course that one can take over a few weeks? I've not looked much into it but it doen't seem difficult to obtain.

Not technically true about the exam + oral exam- I know a few people that have got onto the course without requiring it last year and this year.

But yes this route in the next cycle will become much harder.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
There is no info on the Certificate. I suspect that it has been put back a year to give enough time to create it.

The exam/oral is a requirement of the Admissions Criteria which itself is an interpretation of the Admission Regs. It is no surprise that it can be selectively ignored when UoM chooses. After all, would they want to reject a 1st class Honours grad from a prestigious Uni because he was missing a grade somewhere.

There is no official limit on admissions but I expect it will exceed previous years, but not enough to satisfy the growing numbers of applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Do we know what the tuition fees are likely to be in Malta?

What about Poland? I'm sure they would teach in English and would assume they would be relatively cheap. Are there any uni's that would accept grad entry?
Reply 16
Would a uni also accept you into their 1st year or further up like Year 3 of the course?
Reply 17
Original post by apaigey
Do we know what the tuition fees are likely to be in Malta?

What about Poland? I'm sure they would teach in English and would assume they would be relatively cheap. Are there any uni's that would accept grad entry?

There are no tuition fees in Malta for EU residents. Maltese students pay nothing AND get a small grant (stipend) too.
Reply 18
Liking the sound of that!
Reply 19
Original post by JumpingJonny
They definitely don't (other than those mentioned above), many people get offers whilst in their final year of their degree, just make sure you check this is true of the schools you apply to. That said you will be competing with people who may have been working in a relevant (or non-relevant) sector for many years so it may be an aspect to improve on your application if you don't get in first time.

I am doing a Biochemistry degree at bristol, on route for a first and have an extensive work experience history. Surely i should be in quite a good position when i apply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending