The Student Room Group

Which is worse Animal Suffering or Children suffering?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 2ndClass
If someone molested or your child or decided to engage in bestiality with your pet, what would make you more distraught?

Original post by shadowdweller
I would consider the two to be equally bad. However I imagine it would be more distressing if it was my child.

Posted from TSR Mobile

sigh

He is making the point that you found the human suffering to be worse.

But I agree that they are both as bad, suffering is terrible.
Original post by Blueray2

Well the emphasis to me was more on the fact that it was my child. Obviously if it was a family member I would be more distressed about something happening to them.

I don't find the human suffering worse in general.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62

What? I'd be infinitely be more upset if someone molested my child. I put them no where near as bad. If someone raped my child I'd physically want to murder that person, but if they did something with my dog, I'd just want him to get a very harsh punishment.
Reply 63

Of his own child.

The problem with this thread is that the question is too vague.

We're comparing the young of one species of animal with all other animals. Children are animals for God sake. That's how much sense this thread makes.
Reply 64
Original post by Steezy
You could pick any animal out in the world in order to make your stupid little point.

You can't use the answer to a vague question & make it specific.

Had the question been "which is worse, the suffering of a goat or the suffering of a human", I could've made a more accurate decision.

But to compare a child to all animals is more complex, as I would actually put certain animals above children in terms of importance.

I don't really share this same irrational reverence for children that you obviously have. Humans are overpopulated, the smart thing really would be to have less people. People come from children. Work it out.

My own children = obviously a different story. If I have them, I'm sure they would be the most important thing to me. But I don't really love any other people's children more than any animal. Why should I?

Sounds like someone had an unhappy childhood.
Both as bad as each other, they are both innocent and vulnerable it makes my blood boil to think anybody could abuse an animal or child
Reply 66
We empathise more with children suffering as it is our own species, ultimately though suffering is suffering and so it is equal.
Original post by shadowdweller
Well the emphasis to me was more on the fact that it was my child. Obviously if it was a family member I would be more distressed about something happening to them.

I don't find the human suffering worse in general.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What? I'd be infinitely be more upset if someone molested my child. I put them no where near as bad. If someone raped my child I'd physically want to murder that person, but if they did something with my dog, I'd just want him to get a very harsh punishment.

Original post by Steezy
Of his own child.

The problem with this thread is that the question is too vague.

We're comparing the young of one species of animal with all other animals. Children are animals for God sake. That's how much sense this thread makes.

We are all animals through evolution. inb4 the anti Darwin people.
Reply 68
Original post by M1011
Sounds like someone had an unhappy childhood.

You obviously don't have anything intelligent to say or any ability to open-mindedly discuss, so I guess this conversation can end now.
We are all animals through evolution. inb4 the anti Darwin people.

Well yeah, I know. As I say, I consider animal suffering to be as bad as human.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Original post by Steezy
You obviously don't have anything intelligent to say or any ability to open-mindedly discuss, so I guess this conversation can end now.

I don't feel the need to debate with someone who by their own admission doesn't value children. Evidently you're not worth listening to.
Reply 71
Original post by M1011
I don't feel the need to debate with someone who by their own admission doesn't value children. Evidently you're not worth listening to.

And why is that? Give me a reason why I should value a stranger's child? Before he turned 16, should Justin bieber have been more important to me than an almost extinct snow leopard? If yes, what changed when Justin turned 16? Is he suddenly not as important anymore?

Why should I automatically care for the young of my species even when it goes against logic?
Reply 72
Original post by Steezy
And why is that? Give me a reason why I should value a stranger's child? Before he turned 16, should Justin bieber have been more important to me than an almost extinct snow leopard? If yes, what changed when Justin turned 16? Is he suddenly not as important anymore?

Why should I automatically care for the young of my species even when it goes against logic?

Just take a moment. Take a breath. Appreciate what you're actually arguing.

You're arguing that people should not care for children.

You've taken this beyond animal vs child. Look at what you're actually saying.

You need me to give you a reason to value a child?

Time to evaluate your life.
Reply 73
Original post by M1011
Just take a moment. Take a breath. Appreciate what you're actually arguing.

You're arguing that people should not care for children.

You've taken this beyond animal vs child. Look at what you're actually saying.

You need me to give you a reason to value a child?

Time to evaluate your life.

But you're not coming up with any reasons why I should care more about a stranger's child than an animal. You're trying to jokingly put me down without actually saying anything of substance.

Simple question, please answer it - why should I care about a stranger's child?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by Steezy
But you're not coming up with any reasons why I should care more about a stranger's child than an animal. You're trying to jokingly put me down without actually saying anything out substance.

Simone question, please answer it - why should I care about a stranger's child?

Well see it this way, if you only had one choice, would you rather live next to a child molester or a habitual animal abuser ( encompassing all forms of abuse, physical/sexual etc)?
Original post by the_chemist
imo, humans are designed to feel worse for children suffering rather than animals since all living things' ultimate goal is to let their offspring prosper so their species continues. (not sure how to phrase it correctly but you know what I mean).

I'll probs be negged for this, but anyone that chooses both is most likely just being pretentious. If there was a baby and a puppy drowning, and you can only save one, most will save the baby.

Just because one values human life more doesn't mean one finds the act of child and animal abuse equally abhorrent.
Reply 76
Well see it this way, if you only had one choice, would you rather live next to a child molester or a habitual animal abuser ( encompassing all forms of abuse, physical/sexual etc)?

If I had no children? They would both be equally disgusting to live next to.

If I had children, i'd rather live next to the animal ****er because I would value my children over any animal.

I accept that my children would take priority over any animal, but I don't have the same bond or care for any other children.
Reply 77
Original post by Chriswhjay
Animal suffering. It can't ask for help. Easy. I dislike children anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

2nd this, would rep if could.

To me that's like saying would I prefer living next to a molester of boys, or a molester of girls. I find them both equally sickening and I'd put the same amount of effort into stopping the perpetrator
Reply 79
Original post by Steezy
If I had no children? They would both be equally disgusting to live next to.

If I had children, i'd rather live next to the animal ****er because I would value my children over any animal.

I accept that my children would take priority over any animal, but I don't have the same bond or care for any other children.

I don't know, it's just common empathy I guess. When you have children that collective bond sort of happens because you know how much a child means to you. The same thing if say your friend's child was missing, you'd feel that greater sense of distraught and urgency than if his dog or cat hadn't come home for two weeks. Atleast I would anyway,
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending