The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by biggles1

Nice one with the weight training. Fitness is something i'm struggling to get into at the moment, but I'm making slow progress.

Due to money and time constraints I've been out of it for the past 3 years :') So don't feel bad about it, but I wish you the best of luck! Make yourself a schedule to stick to :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Due to money and time constraints I've been out of it for the past 3 years :') So don't feel bad about it, but I wish you the best of luck! Make yourself a schedule to stick to :smile:

Yeah that's part of the problem :P I'm starting with general improvements to health, more walking, less junk food, less sugary drinks. I also go airsofting at weekends, which is a great way to burn off calories :smile:
Reply 22
This thread is completely irresponsible, teetotalers die younger are more prone to all kinds of nasty illnesses and ailments and generally live miserable lives. Lets not encourage this terrible lifestyle choice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by n00
This thread is completely irresponsible, teetotalers die younger are more prone to all kinds of nasty illnesses and ailments and general live miserable lives. Lets not encourage this terrible lifestyle choice.

Crap, they're on to us. Quick! Run before they make laws banning teetotalism in public! :O
Reply 24
I've never had alcohol. It's absolutely filthy and disgusting, I have zero respect for people who drink it. Why don't people drink something that's actually nice, e.g. juice, or milk, or just water? It's a disgusting, harmful habit that ruins lives, wrecks families and destroys societies. How can people drink such a foul tasting substance anyway? I've always been baffled by this. I'd sooner drink my own urine than consume an alcoholic drink. Pure filth.
Original post by Stinkum
I've never had alcohol. It's absolutely filthy and disgusting, I have zero respect for people who drink it. Why don't people drink something that's actually nice, e.g. juice, or milk, or just water? It's a disgusting, harmful habit that ruins lives, wrecks families and destroys societies. How can people drink such a foul tasting substance anyway? I've always been baffled by this. I'd sooner drink my own urine than consume an alcoholic drink. Pure filth.

Probably the funniest thing I've read. You haven't travelled much have you? The wine culture of France/Spain/Italy is definitely not 'pure filth'. Children grow up drinking small amounts of wine from a young age with food and it's a product of normal society.

In all honesty, your response seems very naive as if you're living in a bubble.
Original post by Stinkum

On a more serious note, are you even old enough to drink?

You can't say that a can of Carling tastes the same as a bottle of Dom Perignon. Also how can you say it tastes foul when you have clearly stated you have never even tried it?
Reply 27
I view teetotallers either with utter respect (if they're the type of people I'd get on with) or I'm unable to relate to them (if they're not my type of person). For example, turns out James Franco is teetotal and he seems like an awesome guy, so I respect him for still being able to be fun without needing alcohol.

I know only one teetotaller and she's cool. I respect that she just doesn't like alcohol & respect her even more for not succumbing to the biggest peer pressure activity ever.

I couldn't do it myself though (even though I'd like to be able to) - I enjoy it too much and also I can be quite shy and alcohol helps me in social situations.

I can hold my alcohol pretty well - get to a certain stage of drunkness but never get stupid or sick, just happy.

But for the health benefits, I'd like to be able to be teetotal.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Stephanie_12
I've never been drunk, I grew up in a wonderful family, however I didn't know my grandparents on one side as they were alcoholics, (they are both sober and part of the family now) I've seen a lot of devastation due to alcohol and its just ruined the appeal for me, I already know I have an addictive personality so I wouldn't want to even tempt myself with drink. I have drank alcohol a few times (only a few), It really didn't do anything for me. I've always respected others decision to drink after all its their own choice and they don't do me any harm, yet nobody ever accepts my decision which I find quite unfair. I've gotten to the point that I don't tell them that I don't drink, or if I have to I'll use my gluten allergy as an excuse because the people I communicate with can't understand why I would choose to willingly not consume alcohol. In fact I remember my aunt telling me that she wouldn't 'tell' if I drank in her house while handing me a glass of something purple... Despite the fact that I was 20 at the time, my older relatives seem to think its because I see myself as a child who is not 'allowed', not that I'm a responsible adult that willingly chooses to not drink.

Haha I also use my gluten allergy as an excuse too! its not that I have anything against alcohol, I just can't stand the taste, but most people I know just can't understand that. People have such a need to get you to drink if you dont want to... I wonder what they get out of it!
Original post by galllifrey
Haha I also use my gluten allergy as an excuse too! its not that I have anything against alcohol, I just can't stand the taste, but most people I know just can't understand that. People have such a need to get you to drink if you dont want to... I wonder what they get out of it!

Out of interest how can all alcohol taste foul, when each drink tastes different?
Reply 30
I once quit drinking for 6 months and it was honestly the most boring/depressing/miserable 6 months of my life.
Reply 31
Original post by Reeeeyah
I once quit drinking for 6 months and it was honestly the most boring/depressing/miserable 6 months of my life.

Why so, may I ask?
Reply 32
I don't really drink much but when I fancy it I really fancy it. I don't see the point in being teetotal really...
(edited 8 years ago)
I've always had awful hangovers, but they've been getting progressively worse, to the point where even if I have just 1 or 2 drinks, I can feel it the next day. That said, I lack will power so do have the occasional cider or mulled wine, because they're the only alcoholic drinks I actually like the taste of. I haven't been drunk since about October and I feel so much better for it. I've yet to try clubbing sober yet though, I'm interested to see what that'll be like.

Why was it so boring?
Reply 36
Original post by DiddyDec
Why was it so boring?

I suppose it was because everyone around me was drinking so I didn't feel like I was having as much fun as them.

When you're around people who drink (all of my friends like to drink) you feel a bit left out.
I suppose it was because everyone around me was drinking so I didn't feel like I was having as much fun as them.

When you're around people who drink (all of my friends like to drink) you feel a bit left out.

I can see what you mean. I have days sometimes weeks that I don't drink but I can't do it for more than a fortnight, I would die.
Reply 38
Original post by DiddyDec
I can see what you mean. I have days sometimes weeks that I don't drink but I can't do it for more than a fortnight, I would die.

When you do drink do you tend to drink a lot?
When you do drink do you tend to drink a lot?

Depends on the day of the week. If it is a Monday, Wednesday, Friday and sometimes Saturday, then yes I will drink a fair amount. If it is any of the other days I will have a few pints at the pub.

Latest

Trending

Trending