The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anatheme
X

I'd been on various SSRIs since I was 14, so I know how you feel. :smile:
After a brief jaunt with sertraline in December, I've taken nothing since January, and it's been going okay, so far.

Glad to know you're feeling better. :h:
I've been struggling with anxiety for pretty much most of my life, particularly around exam time when I would have breakdowns and feel particularly crappy and anxious. I started CBT in January and I have now sat my first exam feeling normal. No waves of anxiety rolling off, no feeling sick, no last-minute frantic reading of my notes in the hope of cramming anything else in, no crying because I felt like everything was gonna go wrong and end up even worse.

I managed to go to sleep yesterday feeling relaxed, woke up this morning with what I see as normal levels of stress, actually felt positive about my exam and eager to get started, and managed to not breakdown during said exam. This is a huge step for me, considering I had been crying and breaking down in exams for the last 11 years…! I'm still struggling with low self-confidence when it comes to academia, but I didn't think I'd ever sit an exam feeling fine about it!

/end of the boring story!

Like sj27 said, not a boring story at all! What tremendous leaps you have made in your recovery from anxiety! You should be SO proud of yourself because without the hard work you have clearly put into your CBT sessions, you wouldn't be where you are today. Thrilled for you! :h: :yep: :king1:
Just a quickie because I am knackered and going to bed!

Craggy - big hugs
Piggsil - KAGE! :teeth:
Anatheme - that's a wonderful story, congratulations :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been struggling with anxiety for pretty much most of my life, particularly around exam time when I would have breakdowns and feel particularly crappy and anxious. I started CBT in January and I have now sat my first exam feeling normal. No waves of anxiety rolling off, no feeling sick, no last-minute frantic reading of my notes in the hope of cramming anything else in, no crying because I felt like everything was gonna go wrong and end up even worse.

I managed to go to sleep yesterday feeling relaxed, woke up this morning with what I see as normal levels of stress, actually felt positive about my exam and eager to get started, and managed to not breakdown during said exam. This is a huge step for me, considering I had been crying and breaking down in exams for the last 11 years…! I'm still struggling with low self-confidence when it comes to academia, but I didn't think I'd ever sit an exam feeling fine about it!

That's a truly inspirational story; you should be very, very proud of yourself. Honestly. I genuinely mean it when I say that I've been toying with seeing someone about my anxiety for the last couple of years now, and to hear that treatment can work- and that you can end up being okay in the most stressful of academic situations, an exam!- is, as I said, inspirational. Well done!
Do you think it would be annoying to ask one of my tutors when he'll finish marking our final essays? If I get that mark back, then I'll know what I need to get in my dissertation.
Original post by Iridescenzo
Do you think it would be annoying to ask one of my tutors when he'll finish marking our final essays? If I get that mark back, then I'll know what I need to get in my dissertation.

How long has he had them? If less than a month, don't ask, IMHO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Study days are meant to be for baking cupcakes, right?
Original post by Kitty Pimms
How long has he had them? If less than a month, don't ask, IMHO.

Only about 2 weeks, but I thought he'd get them done a bit sooner than usual, considering he doesn't have to teach again until September.
I was just worried, because my dissertation was vastly underwhelming, mostly due to poor time management between my final essays. My tutor sent me one last appraisal the night before (because she knew I was pulling an all-nighter), but I'm not convinced. She's known to be a very harsh marker.

I've read through this, albeit quickly, and it's still very descriptive in parts, with little critical engagement. However, it IS much tighter than before and there is a central thread of consolation and grief running through it that lends the study much more coherence than before. Your reader knows where they are and what they are getting, and this is a huge improvement on the last draft.

For all of your worries about this, it is a very nice piece of work and it engages with the poem on a detailed level. You should still be proud of what you've done.
Only about 2 weeks, but I thought he'd get them done a bit sooner than usual, considering he doesn't have to teach again until September.
I was just worried, because my dissertation was vastly underwhelming, mostly due to poor time management between my final essays. My tutor sent me one last appraisal the night before (because she knew I was pulling an all-nighter), but I'm not convinced. She's known to be a very harsh marker.

Yeah, we very rarely mark when we're teaching (Christmas holidays are such fun when you're an academic!), but it doesn't diminish the fact that we may have 200-300 scripts, and if you want the job done properly it takes time. If you're a final year they will almost certainly need to be moderated also and perhaps approved by the module board or passed to the external examiner. Your department will I am sure have some guidelines about when you can expect work back, and if the staff member goes over that, then you should contact them in the first instance and then complain if you don't get a satisfactory answer. If not, of course you can email them, but my experience is that I mark as fast as I can given the external constraints I'm under (just because no teaching =/= no other work, and in fact the admin load usually goes through the roof in May) and replying to students trying to predict these other factors just takes time away from doing the actual marking.

Obviously, your tutor may be less jaded than I am, but I doubt it :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah, we very rarely mark when we're teaching (Christmas holidays are such fun when you're an academic!), but it doesn't diminish the fact that we may have 200-300 scripts, and if you want the job done properly it takes time. If you're a final year they will almost certainly need to be moderated also and perhaps approved by the module board or passed to the external examiner. Your department will I am sure have some guidelines about when you can expect work back, and if the staff member goes over that, then you should contact them in the first instance and then complain if you don't get a satisfactory answer. If not, of course you can email them, but my experience is that I mark as fast as I can given the external constraints I'm under (just because no teaching =/= no other work, and in fact the admin load usually goes through the roof in May) and replying to students trying to predict these other factors just takes time away from doing the actual marking.

Obviously, your tutor may be less jaded than I am, but I doubt it :wink:

Hmm.
Well, I just checked the portal, and the Turnitin entry says the expected return date is the 29th. I suppose it's not worth speculating on. The absolutely latest he can get them back is July 1st (results day), but there's a possibility he'll get them back before the end of June, with any luck. The standard essay length for this module was 4,000, so I suppose he'll be a bit busier than usual.
Hmm.
Well, I just checked the portal, and the Turnitin entry says the expected return date is the 29th. I suppose it's not worth speculating on. The absolutely latest he can get them back is July 1st (results day), but there's a possibility he'll get them back before the end of June, with any luck. The standard essay length for this module was 4,000, so I suppose he'll be a bit busier than usual.

If a student asked me for their marks earlier than the stated/appointed time, I would be very irritated.
Original post by Craghyrax
If a student asked me for their marks earlier than the stated/appointed time, I would be very irritated.

This. My tutor will - but only if agreed in advance and for a VERY good reason (eg if you're applying to other unis and need the result to meet their deadline). Even then he expects early submission. I think that's fair.

How'd it go last night Craggy?

Not boring. Awesome story! Really happy for you! :biggrin:

Just a quickie because I am knackered and going to bed!

Craggy - big hugs
Piggsil - KAGE! :teeth:
Anatheme - that's a wonderful story, congratulations :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol Danish with all their Gs instead og Ks :p:

Original post by *Interrobang*
Study days are meant to be for baking cupcakes, right?

Hells yeah!
Original post by Piggsil
Not boring. Awesome story! Really happy for you! :biggrin:

Lol Danish with all their Gs instead og Ks :p:

Hells yeah!

That's alright then, cos I've done no work today :tongue:
Congrats on the exam Anatheme! I also have anxiety, and its not boring/unimportant etc. Its very big and important and good news.
Original post by Jantaculum

How'd it go last night Craggy?

I went to sleep :frown: Got 19 left to do before tomorrow morning. Then I'm in Cambridge graduation from 9 to late.
Cake's looking good, managed to slice it successfully. Hope it tastes as good as it looks. All the component parts taste good, but I can't really cut myself a slice...
Girly moan:
Nightmare scenario. Just quickly went to choose my dress for tomorrow evening's graduation dinner, and NONE OF THEM FIT! I've put on so much weight lately with the stress, no sleeping, gym routine completely breaking down :frown: Its just so damn annoying because I have a whole cupboard full of Cambridgey dresses which I NEVER wear since leaving, and on the one occasion that would call for it, none of them fit. Its just the last thing I need this evening as I'm almost certainly pulling another all nighter :cry2:

:work:
I

Spoiler

What a nightmare! Everything always comes at once, but that is a hell of a constellation! :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Hope it all turns out well in the end!
Girly moan:

Spoiler

:work:

:jumphug: Sorry to hear that, Craggy. Hope you sort something out. And I know you're gonna be tired tomorrow, but try and enjoy the fruits of all the hard labour you did during your MPhil! :h:
Hmm.

Do not ask. Definitely, definitely do not ask. You may not grasp the workload of an academic at marking time but rest assured that it is one of the most stressful periods of the year even without teaching.

There are specific guidelines for when things have to be marked and no one appreciates a student being pushy about it. If you've been given a date to expect your results, then wait until then. If you still haven't heard, THEN it's acceptable to ask about it - but not before! It certainly won't help you to ingratiate yourself with your lecturers. And they may not be able to tell you anyway - at my university all the marking is anonymous and we wouldn't be able to single out a specific student's essay or exam without significant hassle.

Craggy - sorry to hear of the dress dilemma! I have v little to wear at the moment but that's because I've had to throw away quite a few things that wore out in the last few months and haven't been able to find time/money to replace them...

I don't really have much news. Have been waiting for my corrections list for almost a month now which is very frustrating - I just want to get on with them! I have the preliminary reports so I've fixed all the simple things like the inevitable typos, but I know there are one or two (minor) questions that I need to consider and it's very frustrating not being able to get on with addressing them and getting it all finalised!

Also, academic job applications are soul destroying...

Latest

Trending

Trending