The Student Room Group

The Big 'Which Cambridge College?' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4480
I'm thinking of applying for 2015 entry, but can't seem to find much detailed information on the colleges.
I'm looking for somewhere with a fairly laid-back/ casual atmosphere; good internet; and cheap rent/food/facilities if possible. I'm also not too worried about size or location.
Based on that, any recommendations?
Original post by Ciaron
I'm thinking of applying for 2015 entry, but can't seem to find much detailed information on the colleges.
I'm looking for somewhere with a fairly laid-back/ casual atmosphere; good internet; and cheap rent/food/facilities if possible. I'm also not too worried about size or location.

Team Pembroke! Admittedly not the cheapest food (with our 35% discount a lunch is £2-£4) but it's generally very good, and accommodation is among the cheapest. I've seen internet speeds of 60Mbps (although less at peak time). The supervisors are certainly keen, but the student body is really quite relaxed, and I don't know of anyone discouraged from extracurricular activities by their DoS.

It's also really pretty!
I'm getting a 42/43 for predicted and I'd like to apply for psychological and behaviour science in cambridge. I love the old and beautiful architecture but at the same time I hate too-traditional atmosphere. I want a friendly and tight college who's good at squash or bball maybe? I'd also want a 24-hour-library and a place that's quite near my lecture halls and perhaps with cinemas and theatres too? idk

I've been looking at Churnhill cuz it emphasise on its forward thinking style and Christ's for its reputation of giving travel loans. Anyway pls advice which college I shd choose!
Original post by melomelohohoho
I'm getting a 42/43 for predicted and I'd like to apply for psychological and behaviour science in cambridge. I love the old and beautiful architecture but at the same time I hate too-traditional atmosphere. I want a friendly and tight college who's good at squash or bball maybe? I'd also want a 24-hour-library and a place that's quite near my lecture halls and perhaps with cinemas and theatres too? idk

I've been looking at Churchill cuz it emphasise on its forward thinking style and Christ's for its reputation of giving travel loans. Anyway pls advice which college I shd choose!

Hello,

I am an international student and I will be applying for HSPS in Cambridge this October. I've narrowed my list of colleges to Clare, King's, Pembroke, Queens', St. John's, Selwyn and Trinity. I was able the data graph of total applications and offers for 2014 and 2013 for each college. St. John's seems easiest to get into, with 13 offers made and 44 applications last year, but I particularly like Clare, who have made only 7 offers and received 36 applications. I would like some advice on these colleges if possible and also to know whether the application/offer statistic matters as much as I think it does, because if it does, St. John's seems like the best bet. Thank you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Barleywolf
Hello,

I am an international student and I will be applying for HSPS in Cambridge this October. I've narrowed my list of colleges to Clare, King's, Pembroke, Queens', St. John's, Selwyn and Trinity. I was able the data graph of total applications and offers for 2014 and 2013 for each college. St. John's seems easiest to get into, with 13 offers made and 44 applications last year, but I particularly like Clare, who have made only 7 offers and received 36 applications. I would like some advice on these colleges if possible and also to know whether the application/offer statistic matters as much as I think it does, because if it does, St. John's seems like the best bet. Thank you.

Ignore the stats. Sample size is too small to be significant and other factors will skew them beyond usefulness.
So you say. Can you explain a bit further? I appreciate the assistance, I just want to make sure I'm making the absolutely best decision, because I have to e-mail the college I will apply to this weekend about something and so this is when I decide where I want to go. Cheers.
So you say. Can you explain a bit further? I appreciate the assistance, I just want to make sure I'm making the absolutely best decision, because I have to e-mail the college I will apply to this weekend about something and so this is when I decide where I want to go. Cheers.

For a start there can be a large and arbitrary variance between the numbers from previous years and the numbers for this year, so even if you go for one that had higher proportion of offers to applicants in previous years that might not repeat itself this year. Ironically, some applicants may try to 'play the stats' and hence cause these fluctuations themselves.

Then you don't know about the quality of the applicants - a college may have had more applicants but not of as high standard compared to another college with fewer applicants. This could be for many reasons but an example could be that some colleges may be more renowned (in particular internationally, where there are fewer opportunities to visit the colleges in person) and so end up with stronger applicants (this is just a hypothetical example, you can think of others).

Finally the pooling system helps to smooth these differences - if you are good enough but your chosen college had too many good applicants that year then you should be pooled and have another chance.

Overall the best thing to do in almost all cases is to choose the college you would most like to attend (for whatever reasons - architecture, location, environment, facilities, etc.).

The only reason I can think of right now where being strategic may make some sense is if their entry requirements / application process differs (i.e. types of tests at interview), in which case it could be worth playing to your strengths if you are not confident of gaining a place at your otherwise preferred college.
Original post by alex_hk90
For a start there can be a large and arbitrary variance between the numbers from previous years and the numbers for this year, so even if you go for one that had higher proportion of offers to applicants in previous years that might not repeat itself this year. Ironically, some applicants may try to 'play the stats' and hence cause these fluctuations themselves.

Then you don't know about the quality of the applicants - a college may have had more applicants but not of as high standard compared to another college with fewer applicants. This could be for many reasons but an example could be that some colleges may be more renowned (in particular internationally, where there are fewer opportunities to visit the colleges in person) and so end up with stronger applicants (this is just a hypothetical example, you can think of others).

Finally the pooling system helps to smooth these differences - if you are good enough but your chosen college had too many good applicants that year then you should be pooled and have another chance.

Overall the best thing to do in almost all cases is to choose the college you would most like to attend (for whatever reasons - architecture, location, environment, facilities, etc.).

The only reason I can think of right now where being strategic may make some sense is if their entry requirements / application process differs (i.e. types of tests at interview), in which case it could be worth playing to your strengths if you are not confident of gaining a place at your otherwise preferred college.

Yes, I've also thought that numbers might fluctuate from year to year, but HSPS is in its second year so there wasn't much data on that. It also occurred to me that there probably are many prospective students researching hard about the same things and that it might be better for me to actually go against the current, so funny you should mention that. I noticed King's had a lot of applicants, and I expected that, I read about its reputation as a politics-heavy school. The reason I like Clare is that it's a prime location, literally a minute walk to Sidgwick, where I take it most Arts lectures are given (and HSPS is listed under arts for some reason, British schools only differentiate between arts and sciences as I understand it), and it's really gorgeous architecturally. St. John's is wealthy, but I'm not sure that as an international student I will be able to get much assistance. Do you know anything about this? Also, can you offer any opinion on the colleges I listed? I've spent hours on different college pages, listing pro's, con's, alumni opinion, facilities, accommodation information etc., but one more opinion wouldn't hurt. Thanks.
Hey everyone,
I would like to apply to Cambridge next year and study math.
Well, I read how to apply but i don't know which college I should choose . I heard that Trinity and Queen were more difficult to get in.
So I ask you guys in which one is it easier to be accepted ?

thank for your help.
Yes, I've also thought that numbers might fluctuate from year to year, but HSPS is in its second year so there wasn't much data on that. It also occurred to me that there probably are many prospective students researching hard about the same things and that it might be better for me to actually go against the current, so funny you should mention that. I noticed King's had a lot of applicants, and I expected that, I read about its reputation as a politics-heavy school. The reason I like Clare is that it's a prime location, literally a minute walk to Sidgwick, where I take it most Arts lectures are given (and HSPS is listed under arts for some reason, British schools only differentiate between arts and sciences as I understand it), and it's really gorgeous architecturally. St. John's is wealthy, but I'm not sure that as an international student I will be able to get much assistance. Do you know anything about this? Also, can you offer any opinion on the colleges I listed? I've spent hours on different college pages, listing pro's, con's, alumni opinion, facilities, accommodation information etc., but one more opinion wouldn't hurt. Thanks.

It sounds like you are overthinking it - I wouldn't normally say this but college choice is often 'heart over head' than vice-versa.

As for HSPS, isn't that more or less the new name for PPS(IS), which was previously SPS? Or were they merging with Arch & Anth? Back when I was applying to Cambridge (back in 2007-8!) the subject was being renamed PPS (Politics, Psychology and Sociology, if I remember correctly) from the previous name of SPS (Social and Political Sciences). Then later it was renamed again to PPSIS (Politics, Psychology, Sociology and International Studies). So you could probably look at the stats for PPS(IS) if you want pre-2013 data (again, I would not recommend it, but it's up to you).

And yes Cambridge has an arbitrary divide between 'Arts' (which includes Economics and other Social Sciences) and 'Sciences'. Everyone gets a BA anyway (even the Sciences students) so this doesn't make any difference in reality. But yes most (but not all) Arts lectures are held at Sidgwick - I think for HSPS there are other sites as well, or at least there used to be when it was SPS/PPS.

I don't know anything about financial assistance at John's, or if the college prizes/awards/scholarships etc. are different for internationals.

Of course I'm biased but I would definitely recommend Pembroke. :h: One of my housemates did HSPS (well, PPS back then) and seemed to enjoy it and got a decent result as well. :smile:
Original post by Ho Chi Minh
That's what I mean about Clare. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the college was founded in 1326 and yet the only "old" building it has is a single court which dates to the 17th century.

You're wrong. The bridge is the oldest in Cambridge "The building programme was prompted by the acquisition of land belonging to King’s across the river to the west of the college (Butt’s Close); accordingly the first new buildings to be constructed were the East and South Ranges (1638) and then the bridge (1639-40). The North and West Ranges, including the hall, were built in 1686-8, and the programme was completed with the construction of the Master’s Lodge in 1715. (The present chapel dates from a somewhat later time; its foundation stone was laid in 1763.) "

As for the other buildings - who cares.
Original post by Ciaron

Clare :smile: Seriously - most colleges are likely to provide that. Rents are cheap compared to other universities, food is not too exorbitant but if cooking matters to you many colleges don't have great facilities. Internet is always likely to be better than you have at home.

Hello,

Good choice. Clare had an increase in applications last year but if you want to come go for it. You'll notice that Clare applicants often get snapped up by other colleges in the pools.
Original post by Mansmisterio
Hey everyone,
I would like to apply to Cambridge next year and study math.
Well, I read how to apply but i don't know which college I should choose . I heard that Trinity and Queen were more difficult to get in.
So I ask you guys in which one is it easier to be accepted ?

thank for your help.

All colleges are tough for maths - look at what they require from STEP. The department makes about twice as many offers as there are places and STEP weeds people out. It's a tough course.
Yes I've heard that Queen asks Step II and III. Step II and I are no so hard but Step III requires things that in France we don't study.
thank mate
Original post by Mansmisterio
Yes I've heard that Queen asks Step II and III. Step II and I are no so hard but Step III requires things that in France we don't study.
thank mate

11 in STEP II and III is the standard offer at every Cambridge college. You aren't likely to have a better time of it by trying to game the system, and you will most likely have to sit STEP III regardless - one of my friends in the current year is French and he was not let out of STEP III.
Original post by DJMayes
11 in STEP II and III is the standard offer at every Cambridge college. You aren't likely to have a better time of it by trying to game the system, and you will most likely have to sit STEP III regardless - one of my friends in the current year is French and he was not let out of STEP III.

That's not absolutely true. Trinity have been known to ask for S,1 although those who get 1,1 usually get in via the summer pool somewhere else. Some of those who haven't done further maths only get asked for STEP I & II.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colmans
That's not absolutely true. Trinity have been known to ask for S,1 although those who get 1,1 usually get in via the summer pool somewhere else. Some of those who haven't done further maths only get asked for STEP I & II.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just because a college gives out different offers does not mean the standard offer is not 11. In the Maths Admissions Guide PDF (Dated June 2014) for Cambridge, the Trinity standard offer is stated as 11.
Emmanuel or Trinity Hall?
Original post by paradoxicalme
Emmanuel or Trinity Hall?

I visited Emmanuel, I didn't really like the feel of the place honestly. I don't know about Trinity Hall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending