The Student Room Group

St John's College (Cambridge) 2023 Applicants Thread

Hello everyone, I've seen a lot of new Cambridge college applicant threads appearing over the past few days for 2023 entry, so I thought I would start one for St John's College!

To break the ice, feel free to answer these questions:
1) What Cambridge course did you apply for?
2) What A-Level/equivalent qualifications are you currently studying, and what are your predicted/achieved grades?
3) Why did you choose St John's?
4) How are you feeling right now about the admissions process?

I'll start off!
1) Medicine (6-year course)
2) Biology, Chemistry and Maths (predicted A*A*A*) + EPQ (predicted A*)
3) I love how spacious and grand it is - being at a very small secondary school with lots of students for the past 7 years has made me rather claustrophobic! I also really appreciate the generous financial support that St John's offers, as a first-gen low-income applicant.
4) I honestly don't have any strong feelings - I imagine I won't hear anything about interviews until after BMAT results come out on 25th November (let's just say I'm really not confident about that) so there's no reason to panic (yet...)

Good luck to everyone with admissions! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JMSan24
Hello everyone, I've seen a lot of new Cambridge college applicant threads appearing over the past few days for 2023 entry, so I thought I would start one for St John's College!

2) What A-Level/equivalent qualifications are you currently studying, and what are your predicted/achieved grades?

I'll start off!
3) I love how spacious and grand it is - being at a very small secondary school with lots of students for the past 7 years has made me rather claustrophobic! I also really appreciate the generous financial support that St John's offers, as a first-gen low-income applicant.
4) I honestly don't have any strong feelings - I imagine I won't hear anything about interviews until after BMAT results come out on 25th November (let's just say I'm really not confident about that) so there's no reason to panic (yet...)

Nice to see someone’s made a thread like this!

1) Engineering
2) I’m studying Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics and I achieved an A* in Maths this year and I’m predicted 3 A*s in my other subjects
3) I visited the college back in February and I really liked its feel, also being one of the larger Cambridge colleges is a nice plus.
4) I don’t really know how to feel right now, I’m just trying to keep Cambridge out of my mind as best as I can for the moment so that I can focus on my A-Levels :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Eel88
Nice to see someone’s made a thread like this!

1) Engineering
2) I’m studying Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics and I achieved an A* in Maths this year and I’m predicted 3 A*s in my other subjects
3) I visited the college back in February and I really liked its feel, also being one of the larger Cambridge colleges is a nice plus.
4) I don’t really know how to feel right now, I’m just trying to keep Cambridge out of my mind as best as I can for the moment so that I can focus on my A-Levels :smile:

I'm with you - I'm kind of glad that we submitted our UCAS applications early so that we don't have to bear the brunt of everyone else submitting theirs at the same time! My school's set early internal deadlines so it's a bit chaotic right now
Original post by JMSan24

I'll start off!

Hey!

1- I’m studying Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Drama (predicted A*A*A*A*)
2- I applied for Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology
3-I visited back in July having planned to choose it already and that visit just solidified it! It’s super central and absolutely gorgeous with some incredible history plus I’m a huge Swiftie so to have the Taylor Swift society events at my doorstep would be great
4-My entrance exam (NSAA) was an absolute travesty. Honestly on the fence on whether I’ll get an interview or not because it was that bad so the suspense for interviews rn is killing me. I’m not super confident but let’s be real who out there is 100% confident in this process
Reply 4
Hi!
1. Ive applied for History
2. Currently studying History, Politics, and English Lit and predicted A*A*A*
3. chose johns mostly because of their financial support as they give a lot to low income students. also its just a beautiful college
4. dreading admissions currently, waiting for an interview as i have the History Admissions Assessment next thursday (if i get the interview). Really hoping johns will let me know asap!
Reply 5
Original post by Zainab Waly
Hey!

3-I visited back in July having planned to choose it already and that visit just solidified it! It’s super central and absolutely gorgeous with some incredible history plus I’m a huge Swiftie so to have the Taylor Swift society events at my doorstep would be great
4-My entrance exam (NSAA) was an absolute travesty. Honestly on the fence on whether I’ll get an interview or not because it was that bad so the suspense for interviews rn is killing me. I’m not super confident but let’s be real who out there is 100% confident in this process

I feel the same about BMAT - no past paper would have prepared me for this year's paper. I hope I get an interview as I would have another chance to show my abilities; I know my BMAT score will not be what I wanted. Also I had no idea there was a Taylor Swift Society at John's!
Original post by gbxox
Hi!
3. chose johns mostly because of their financial support as they give a lot to low income students. also its just a beautiful college
4. dreading admissions currently, waiting for an interview as i have the History Admissions Assessment next thursday (if i get the interview). Really hoping johns will let me know asap!

Do you know if John’s have started giving out interviews at all? I’m literally dying watching people at my school get invites/ rejections already like WHEN IS IT MY TURN TO KNOW 😭
Original post by JMSan24
I feel the same about BMAT - no past paper would have prepared me for this year's paper. I hope I get an interview as I would have another chance to show my abilities; I know my BMAT score will not be what I wanted. Also I had no idea there was a Taylor Swift Society at John's!

I waited outside the exam hall for my friends to finish the BMAT and they came out lookin so grim and I just knew my exam the next day would be the same and it was 😭 why were we given such a tough time this year especially because the BMAT and other entrance exams are being scrapped next year anyway

Oh also the T Swift society is uni-wide but a lot of the events are held at John’s so it’s convenient 💅
Reply 8
Original post by gbxox
Hi!

Oh wow, I hope you find out soon - from the spreadsheet on the main Cambridge thread, it seems that applicants from other colleges have got History interview invites. Also I fully agree that John's is such a beautiful college!
Original post by JMSan24
Oh wow, I hope you find out soon - from the spreadsheet on the main Cambridge thread, it seems that applicants from other colleges have got History interview invites. Also I fully agree that John's is such a beautiful college!

A lot of humanities people at my school have gotten their invites already but I haven’t heard of any science so hopefully soon!
Reply 10
Do you know if John’s have started giving out interviews at all? I’m literally dying watching people at my school get invites/ rejections already like WHEN IS IT MY TURN TO KNOW 😭

So far it's been humanities applicants receiving decisions, hopefully for us it will be sometime next week.
Reply 11
I waited outside the exam hall for my friends to finish the BMAT and they came out lookin so grim and I just knew my exam the next day would be the same and it was 😭 why were we given such a tough time this year especially because the BMAT and other entrance exams are being scrapped next year anyway

Oh also the T Swift society is uni-wide but a lot of the events are held at John’s so it’s convenient 💅

Tell me about it :frown: I have never felt so stupid in an exam hall before that BMAT, and I heard the next day from my friends that were doing NSAA and they were not happy at all. It seems Cambridge just wanted the final years of these tests to be the hardest
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by JMSan24
Tell me about it :frown: I have never felt so stupid in an exam hall before that BMAT, and I heard the next day from my friends that were doing NSAA and they were not happy at all. It seems Cambridge just wanted the final years of these tests to be the hardest

Yeah I honestly just hope there’s not some absolute prodigies hidden away somewhere who raised the averages for the scores
Reply 13
Hey!

I also did the NSAA but applied for natural sciences (biological) and that test was awful. I had to guess sooooo many and the section 1 chemistry was such a rush. That said, everyone I know who did it also found it tough so maybe there’s hope lol.
Reply 14

ive not heard from anyone yet, it's driving me insane
Original post by Jf6225
I also did the NSAA but applied for natural sciences (biological) and that test was awful. I had to guess sooooo many and the section 1 chemistry was such a rush. That said, everyone I know who did it also found it tough so maybe there’s hope lol.

I did chem section one and bio section two I can agree chem one as well as maths were horrifying
Reply 16
Yeah I honestly just hope there’s not some absolute prodigies hidden away somewhere who raised the averages for the scores

I hope they haven't applied to John's!
Reply 17
@Eel88 @Jf6225 I've found some data (attached) about Engineering and Natural Sciences applications from last year that you might want to look at (if you don't want to because it may stress you out, that's fine!)
Reply 18
Original post by JMSan24
@Eel88 @Jf6225 I've found some data (attached) about Engineering and Natural Sciences applications from last year that you might want to look at (if you don't want to because it may stress you out, that's fine!)

Thanks that's actually really helpful - good to see some people that got offers from St John's don't have stupidly high ENGAA scores!
Original post by JMSan24

I'll start off!

Hello Everyone!

1) I applied for medicine
2) I am studying A Level Biology, Chemistry and Physics and I am predicted am A* in each. Im also doing an EPQ
3) I chose Johns as I loved how big it was as I really didnt want to go to a small college. I also really liked how harry potter esc is looked which ik probably sounds silly lol. No one in my family as every gone to uni or even done A-Levels so applying meant alot to me and so I wanted to pick such a large college to really get the true experience.
4) Im just really weirdly numb to it at the moment. Like im so incredibly nervous but at the same time im not.

I wish you all the best of luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending