The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Liv1204
Thanks all, much appreciated, and hi to all! How are you finding your PhDs? That's what I'm hoping to do after my MSc, but we shall see how that goes (funding and all that...!)

I did indeed do Psychology (with Clinical Psych; basically just the straight Psych degree but with two modules in Clinical Psych in final year), nice to meet some fellow psychologists! What are your main interests in psychology? I'm currently trying to work out my dissertation ideas, so reading about attribution theory! My supervisor is awesome and before I intermitted he said he wants me to get a publication from my diss (if possible!), so there's my goal to work towards! [If I can get some motivation back...]

Welcome :biggrin: :mad:

Another PhD-er over here (History) :smile:

Teaching done, semi glad it was only cover. None of them had done their small amount of seminar reading today :mad: :mad: Such a pointless exercise when no one does the work. I could have met Judi Dench today instead but no, just had a load of :confused: :confused: faces looking back at me. Argh. Oh and the 'what am I paying £9000 for' speech... Though apparently 'moodle is well sick'. I feel old. So very old.

Back on the PhD machine tomorrow... well once I've watched Imelda Staunton and Richard Whately on stage :biggrin: :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by apotoftea

'what am I paying £9000 for'

The ability to be a jumped up, chip on their shoulder penis brain?
Had another supervision today. Spoilered for those who are not in the right zone to be reading about my naive, happy little PhD bubble :colondollar:

Spoiler

Original post by Ethereal

PRSOM :teehee:

:yep:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Had another supervision today. Spoilered for those who are not in the right zone to be reading about my naive, happy little PhD bubble :colondollar:

Go TLG :biggrin: Will your acknowledgements be called 'I say thank you for the...' :tongue:

Also you'd be proud - my theatre shenanigans tomorrow involve a musical of sorts! :biggrin:
Reply 64
Oh and the 'what am I paying £9000 for' speech...

:eek: Why do they say that to you?
. Oh and the 'what am I paying £9000 for' speech...

One of the advantages of teaching under 18s - they don't have any choice in the matter, they have to be there...
Original post by Josb
:eek: Why do they say that to you?

Chatting about getting handouts versus having to print them out themselves. Moan moan I pay £9K, I deserve handouts' etc etc.

Original post by Jantaculum
One of the advantages of teaching under 18s - they don't have any choice in the matter, they have to be there...

Indeed!
Chatting about getting handouts versus having to print them out themselves. Moan moan I pay £9K, I deserve handouts' etc etc.

Lazy ****stains
Original post by Liv1204
Thanks all, much appreciated, and hi to all! How are you finding your PhDs? That's what I'm hoping to do after my MSc, but we shall see how that goes (funding and all that...!)

I did indeed do Psychology (with Clinical Psych; basically just the straight Psych degree but with two modules in Clinical Psych in final year), nice to meet some fellow psychologists! What are your main interests in psychology? I'm currently trying to work out my dissertation ideas, so reading about attribution theory! My supervisor is awesome and before I intermitted he said he wants me to get a publication from my diss (if possible!), so there's my goal to work towards! [If I can get some motivation back...]

I'm doing a PhD in Experimental Psychology- only a couple of weeks in but I'm really enjoying it so far. My interests lie in behavioural and cognitive neuroscience, and I'm beginning by looking at the role of dopamine in certain decision-making behaviours.

It'd be great for you to get a publication from your diss- an early publication like that would look great when applying for a PhD! :biggrin:
Reply 69
TLG:

:yay:

:cake:

:party2:

:birthday:

Have a good one :smile:
It's 15 years today since I was injured :frown:
Ahhh, love the new thread title!

Happy Birthday TLG, hope you have a lovely day!

Go TLG :biggrin: Will your acknowledgements be called 'I say thank you for the...' :tongue:

I hadn't thought of that myself, but that is a GENIUS idea :colone:

Also you'd be proud - my theatre shenanigans tomorrow involve a musical of sorts! :biggrin:

YAAAAAY! :biggrin:

Original post by sj27
TLG:

:yay:

:cake:

:party2:

:birthday:

Have a good one :smile:

Thank you so much! :colondollar:

:hugs:

It's 15 years today since I was injured :frown:

:jumphug: :console: :frown:

Original post by scarlet ibis

Happy Birthday TLG, hope you have a lovely day!

Thank you :hugs:
Happy birthday TLG! Glad you're feeling happy with your supervisor too - it is SO important!
Original post by Kitty Pimms
Happy birthday TLG! Glad you're feeling happy with your supervisor too - it is SO important!

Thank you! She's talking about getting an advisor from the Media Arts department, which could be interesting! :eek: But very happy right now :biggrin:
It's taken me a while, but subscribing. Also, happy birthday TLG! (Though I think I'm late to this).
Having a weird day - checking up on the latest papers in my subject, I've discovered that someone has just published in the exact area I'm working on….

Not sure whether to be happy that he's done all the legwork and I can take it further, or cross that someone beat me to it!

(inexperienced doctoral student problems)
Original post by Puck_1991
It's taken me a while, but subscribing. Also, happy birthday TLG! (Though I think I'm late to this).

Thank you! :biggrin:

Having a weird day - checking up on the latest papers in my subject, I've discovered that someone has just published in the exact area I'm working on….

Not sure whether to be happy that he's done all the legwork and I can take it further, or cross that someone beat me to it!

Grrr, that IS pretty annoying. Or at least I'd be pretty annoyed if it were me. But it's great you think you can take that work even further, so clearly all is not lost! :hugs:

Probably inevitable and better than it happens now rather than later. When you're a bit more established, it's probably a good idea to strike up a relationship with the other author so that you can keep track of what they're working on. Towards the end of my PhD I met a couple of big names in my field who sent me some draft and unpublished working material so that I could incorporate it into the final draft/make sure I wasn't accidentally trumped.
Happy birthday TLG! :biggrin:

Gave an important talk yesterday- first time I'd given a talk in front of my second (new) supervisor, and there were also a bunch of people from other labs there, including some seriously cool (and senior) behavioural neuroscientists...and it went well! For once nerves didn't ruin everything. Now to learn how to do that every time!

Latest

Trending

Trending