The Student Room Group

Durham vs St Andrews vs Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Original post by unclebulgaria
They are more prestigious and rigorous than most courses, with almost all students going into lucrative careers £40k plus within the first few years post qualifying.

But the ceiling is quite low for those courses, sure they are stable jobs but I wouldn't consider them as prestigious. Life is not all about a stable job and stable income, its also about pursuing your passions, I would consider optometry and pharmacy to be good courses but not prestigious, I would still have to reserve that for Econ, Law, Medicine, Engineering, Maths and the like.
Don't Edinburgh say they prefer to look at your application and background as a whole when selecting, rather than on just grades?

That is what they all say, but from the rumours I heard, they essentially offer almost all Americans who get over that cut off. I have to rephrase this a bit it is not just 1800 its actually minimum 600 in all sections which is harder to achieve of course since most people who achieve the 600 minimum are going to have a higher SAT score than 1800. 2 APs at 4 are not too difficult to achieve.

SAT score of 1800 (600 minimum in Critical Reading, Mathematics and Writing) plus two APs at Grade 4;

UCAS tariff also shows this, Edinburgh may look at your background as a whole but then again so would St Andrews, they have similar admissions policies.

St Andrews is still ranked 3rd, 3rd, 4th in the 3 UK rankings and around 100th in the world on average.
Original post by Okorange
That is what they all say, but from the rumours I heard, they essentially offer almost all Americans who get over that cut off. I have to rephrase this a bit it is not just 1800 its actually minimum 600 in all sections which is harder to achieve of course since most people who achieve the 600 minimum are going to have a higher SAT score than 1800. 2 APs at 4 are not too difficult to achieve.

SAT score of 1800 (600 minimum in Critical Reading, Mathematics and Writing) plus two APs at Grade 4;

UCAS tariff also shows this, Edinburgh may look at your background as a whole but then again so would St Andrews, they have similar admissions policies.

St Andrews is still ranked 3rd, 3rd, 4th in the 3 UK rankings and around 100th in the world on average.

I think Edinburgh and Bristol have been particularly keen to select students from disadvantaged backgrounds in recent years on lower grades if they show potential. Their admissions policy has hit the good schools harder than others.
Edinburgh offers it but not as much, St Andrews is more international, higher entry tariff has much higher student satisfaction etc. For example, St Andrews asks for 2000+ on the SAT from American students while Edinburgh asks for 1800+, there is a difference.

Its also a smaller university so it attracts students who want to study in a smaller town, its a different university experience for sure.

Having 2000 on SATs might not cut it anymore, as the competition for places has gone stiffer nowadays, I've heard, specially for those popular and oversubscribed programs like IR. I surmise the majority of those who applied from the US have SATs above 2000, to better secure a place in the university.

BTW, OP, Edinburgh is another fantastic university, and the city where it sat on, is amazing -- one of the most beautiful places I've been to. I'd probably prefer Edinburhg to StA for graduate studies. For undergrad, StA has a higher student quality and has a more uniformly wealthy student demographic.

StA rejects plenty of American applicants with SATs below 2000 nowadays. A friend's D was denied admissions with 2140 SATs and top 5% in her class. She, however, got into Cornell, Dartmouth, William & Mary, UVa and Duke. She went to Dartmouth.

Another friend's D enrolled in W&M last SY so she can spend 2 years at StA under the joint degree program. https://www.wm.edu/as/undergraduate/curriculum/special/standrews/
Original post by Mr. Roxas
StA rejects plenty of American applicants with SATs below 2000 nowadays. A friend's D was denied admissions with 2140 SATs and top 5% in her class. She, however, got into Cornell, Dartmouth, William & Mary, UVa and Duke. She went to Dartmouth.

Another friend's D enrolled in W&M last SY so she can spend 2 years at StA under the joint degree program. https://www.wm.edu/as/undergraduate/curriculum/special/standrews/

But isn't the catch that St Andrews only offer a few places each year, resulting in fierce competition for the few hundred places available? A great way to weed out weaker students, but nevertheless it doesn't help if only a small quantity of students arrive there. Look at Oxbridge, they bring in many times more students that are brighter.

What if Edinburgh decided to do away with weaker courses and only select as many students as St Andrews each year for the sake of selectivity and perceived prestige? I think they'd be ridiculed for being so narrow minded. A university's job is to teach undergrads, post grads, carry out research, and to provide a service to businesses and the economy. Bringing in bright students is only a small part of what makes a university prestigious.
(edited 9 years ago)
But isn't the catch that St Andrews only offer a few places each year, resulting in fierce competition for the few hundred places available? A great way to weed out weaker students, but nevertheless it doesn't help if only a small quantity of students arrive there. Look at Oxbridge, they bring in many times more students that are brighter.

What if Edinburgh decided to do away with weaker courses and only select as many students as St Andrews each year for the sake of selectivity and perceived prestige? I think they'd be ridiculed for being so narrow minded. A university's job is to teach undergrads, post grads, carry out research, and to provide a service to businesses and the economy. Bringing in bright students is only a small part of what makes a university prestigious.

St Andrews only offers a few places each year because the town is small.

Also its not some sort of "catch" its fact. I would much rather go to a university that limits itself to only the best and brightest, so I don't have to take classes with slackers.

Edinburgh could do away with spots in its courses, not do away with weaker courses. Every course has a distribution of intelligent students who love the course and not so's. Now if they did that, they would become more exclusive and prestigious, why should anyone complain, there are plenty of other unis to pick up the slack. A university is not obligated to provide teaching to all students.

Harvard has 6000 undergrads, looking at their endowment do you really think they can't afford to teach 12000? Lets face the facts, the fact that it only teaches 6000 undergrads is what makes it so hard to get into and so prestigious. If a Harvard opened up a "Harvard University" in every city in order to provide education to all and at the same time spread out its funding evenly from 6000 students to 600,000, its degree would be worth just slightly more than toilet paper within a week.

For an undergrad's concerns about prestige it basically is related to what your degree represents when you say what you study and where. Its all about exclusivity and selectivity, if a university selected only 5 undergrads and gave them each enough funding for what they normally would have given 6000 undergrads, you can bet each of their 5 faces would be on some major newspaper every year.

You might think its about teaching at the undergrad level, and it is in part, but the reality is most of what you learn in undergrad could be taught anywhere, for most courses you could be taught the material in a shack for all intensive purposes. When you finally get a job, you probably won't use your knowledge learned from your degree except in a few degrees like medicine. It's all about showing your future employer you are bright, hard working, sociable and learn quickly. The university selection process + your ECs will represent that.

Ever wonder why most jobs don't care what you studied, just your degree classification? Because for most jobs its not important.
(edited 9 years ago)

The elite students usually prefer to be in a "small" community. That's when they feel "exclusive".

The top universities for undergraduate education in America do have a small undergrad student body, similar to St Andrews' 6k undergrad student population. HYPSM all have very small student population at the undergraduate level. The Ivies, in general, too, except Cornell which has an undergrad population of about 14k. That I think was what made them the least attractive, least exclusive, least prestigious Ivy school.
The elite students usually prefer to be in a "small" community. That's when they feel "exclusive".

The top universities for undergraduate education in America do have a small undergrad student body, similar to St Andrews' 6k undergrad student population. HYPSM all have very small student population at the undergraduate level. The Ivies, in general, too, except Cornell which has an undergrad population of about 14k. That I think was what made them the least attractive, least exclusive, least prestigious Ivy school.

I don't think Edinburgh is less attractive by offering more places, they still boast an average tariff of 480+ for a student body of 24,000, which is very impressive. Likewise, UCL is getting bigger all the time, and remains a top 5 UK university. Manchester is probably the only university I would say is too big at present, but the extra income has boosted their World ranking, and in time they may well trim the fat and start being more selective.
(edited 9 years ago)

+1. LSE has 4k undergrads, if it wanted to it could probably expand, but if it did, it wouldn't be as prestigious and its name wouldn't represent as much to employers.
I don't think Edinburgh is less attractive by offering more places, they still boast an average tariff of 480+ for a student body of 24,000, which is very impressive. Likewise, UCL is getting bigger all the time, and remains a top 5 UK university.

No one was saying Edinburgh is unattractive, a 480+ average tariff is amazing, but it is still less than the 520+ at St Andrews. It still is less attractive than St Andrews because it offered more places.

If you only took the top 10,000 applicants and turned down the rest of the students, Edinburgh's average tariff might be as high or higher than St Andrews.

Again you didn't understand our argument, its not that there aren't any big unis that are prestigious, there are like UCL and Edinburgh, but being more selective does make it more prestigious. Think all the Ivies, + Stanford and MIT, all except Cornell (the least prestigious) have small student bodies, same with Oxbridge and LSE.

UCL and Edinburgh are the best multifaculty universities with such large student numbers, but again if they were more selective, they would probably be more prestigious. The very fact that Oxbridge grads dominate high level positions shows that the future "famous alumni" mostly come from the best, expanding your student base has diminishing returns in terms of future alumni success.
(edited 9 years ago)

Ever wonder why most jobs don't care what you studied, just your degree classification? Because for most jobs its not important.

Not sure I agree with that. I think what subject you studied matters a lot. Doing Economics at Warwick is more useful to employers than Theology at Oxford, for example. The prestige of the university is only half of it, the subject you did and what grade was achieved is just as important.
(edited 9 years ago)
+1. LSE has 4k undergrads, if it wanted to it could probably expand, but if it did, it wouldn't be as prestigious and its name wouldn't represent as much to employers.

LSE isn't really a true university in IMO, it is a school, and a prestigious one.
They are more prestigious and rigorous than most courses, with almost all students going into lucrative careers £40k plus within the first few years post qualifying.

How is pharmacy etc prestigious and rigorous.
Academic subjects such as chemistry/physics/maths are prestigious.
Original post by Cobalt_
How is pharmacy etc prestigious and rigorous.
Academic subjects such as chemistry/physics/maths are prestigious.

I am told it is a hard course, and many people with good grades still seem to struggle and even fail the course. Job prospects are also very good upon graduation. The course is also a great route into GEM and Dentistry.
I am told it is a hard course, and many people with good grades still seem to struggle and even fail the course. Job prospects are also very good upon graduation. The course is also a great route into GEM and Dentistry.

Actually biomed/and pure science courses are better routes into GEM.
And they're actually not that difficult compared to actually pure science degrees which are extremely tough. With pharmacy/Optometry the course is pretty easy plus in terms of the jobs at least they produce WAY to many graduates. The pharmacy job market is horrible, Its literally sitting on a time bomb. Optom is becoming that way also.

My point being is that the degrees themselves arent actually academic/prestigious in most eyes however it shouldnt stop you doing what you want to do in life. But you should note pharmacy/optom arent magic degrees which magically get you a job after graduating on a 40k salary. Doesn't work like that. So if you're wanting to study pharm/optom for them reasons you might want to think again.
No one was saying Edinburgh is unattractive, a 480+ average tariff is amazing, but it is still less than the 520+ at St Andrews. It still is less attractive than St Andrews because it offered more places.

If you only took the top 10,000 applicants and turned down the rest of the students, Edinburgh's average tariff might be as high or high.

I'm sure Edinburgh could topple Oxbridge and be ranked number 1 in the UK rankings if that was their objective. Some universities (St Andrews, Durham, Exeter etc) have gone down that route, but in the longer term the World rankings will matter more, and thus income streams come into play. That is why I believe Edinburgh chose to expand, to ensure they have the resources to compete at the global stage, not just in the UK.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Cobalt_
Actually biomed/and pure science courses are better routes into GEM.
And they're actually not that difficult compared to actually pure science degrees which are extremely tough. With pharmacy/Optometry the course is pretty easy plus in terms of the jobs at least they produce WAY to many graduates. The pharmacy job market is horrible, Its literally sitting on a time bomb. Optom is becoming that way also.

My point being is that the degrees themselves arent actually academic/prestigious in most eyes however it shouldnt stop you doing what you want to do in life. But you should note pharmacy/optom arent magic degrees which magically get you a job after graduating on a 40k salary. Doesn't work like that. So if you're wanting to study pharm/optom for them reasons you might want to think again.

I don't agree with most of what you said. I am aware the job market is more competitive for these professions than in previous years, but prospects are still very good, and salaries rise to £40k plus within a few years of qualifying.
I don't think Edinburgh is less attractive by offering more places, they still boast an average tariff of 480+ for a student body of 24,000, which is very impressive. Likewise, UCL is getting bigger all the time, and remains a top 5 UK university. Manchester is probably the only university I would say is too big at present, but the extra income has boosted their World ranking, and in time they may well trim the fat and start being more selective.

The way I view it, plenty of elite students don't want to earn diplomas that are dime a dozen. They don't want to wear clothes that are worn by a lot of people -- they go for signature brands. They don't want to drive cars that everybody drives. Or, live in a place where everyone lives. They want to be exclusive. Not all elite would actually want this. But many do.

If St Andrews would want to increase its student population, they can actually do it. But I guess -- after weighing in all the pros and cons -- they decided not to. They can do it. But they won't. My guess is so they can maintain the exclusivity of THE St Andrews community -- only the select few are admitted. They cater to a special set of demographic -- the social elite students in Scotland, UK, USA, and the rest of the world.

Regarding Manchester, if one day it will decide to decrease its undergraduate student population to St Andrews' size, its prestige level will drastically rise up.
I don't agree with most of what you said. I am aware the job market is more competitive for these professions than in previous years, but prospects are still very good, and salaries rise to £40k plus within a few years of qualifying.

What dont you agree with..
I basically said, its not that prestigious as science degrees, the job market isnt great but if you're passionate about it go for it.

If you think the prospects are "very good, and salaries rise to £40k plus within a few years of qualifying" then you are seriously need to do some research.
If you want to study it because you're passionate about it go ahead! Follow your dreams but doing it because you think you're gonna be granted a stable job with a 40k income at 23 is just stupid.

Good luck with everything.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending